Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

Rigging smelt

(1/3) > >>

Islander:
This is my first year using smelt on a tip-up for pike, and I am having a very hard time getting a hook set. I'm getting 2 to 3 times more strikes using them, as compared to sucker minnows, but not nearly the success getting them hooked. My first problem, was that they want to float, so I put a small bell sinker with the hook on the same snap. It looks gawdy, but doesn't seem to bother the pike any. Next problem is that when the flag goes up, 9 times out of 10, may bait is gone, and so is the fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dogfish:
I need to know what kind of hook rig you have(Single, treb, Quick strike)?  As for weight on dead smelt, use a finish nail (size depending on the size of your smelt) inserted/shoved in the anal pore (butthole) lenghtwise into the dead smelt.  Not only dont you see it but it hanges the smelt in a more natural position in the water.
Dogfish

Islander:
I'm using a #2 Eagle Claw treble hook, on a 9 inch leader. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn a new trick though!!
I had been hooking them the same as I did sucker minnows, under the dorsal fin.
I just put one on that I took the hook off, pushed the shank up thru the belly, and up by the dorsal fin, then reattached to the leader. Hoping that might work. It looks and feels pretty solid.

dogfish:
You might want to try a smaller size hook (#6 is what I use for pike and tigers).  Also try making yourself up some quick strike rigs using 2 treb hooks on one leader.  Hook one by the tail and the other bu the head.  When you go to the flag, if the line is moving hit it and you will have the fish.

Islander:
The quick strike rig sounds interesting. How do you make one? The only thing I can think of is to take the snap off the leader, slide a hook on and reattach the snap, then put on the second hook, leaving one to slide on the leader, and one stationary on the snap. Is this the idea? The nails are a great idea, never would have thought of it. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version