Author Topic: six inch hole for bass?  (Read 8210 times)

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
six inch hole for bass?
« on: Dec 31, 2005, 01:06 AM »
I'm fishing for mainly bass and pickeral. Will a six inch hole with my lazor do it?
Can I upgrade the six to an eight by just changing blades.?

bigdave1018

Re: six inch hole for bass?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:29 AM »
a 6 inch hole is the universal size hole. a lot of guys use an 8 in hole if their lake choice has really big pike. ive had a few lm bass on that wouldnt fit through a 6 in hole. some guys that only target perch like 4 in holes.tight lines and welcome chuck. big dave out

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:34 AM »
Do you recommend I exchange the 6" auger and get the LD-8? I know hand drilling with the 6" will be alot easier. 
Is it more generally accepted to drill 8" holes for tip ups and 6" for panfish jigging?

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2005, 10:37 AM »
I bought a 6in lazer this year (hand drill for panfish i guess) I was jiggin away and got nailed on a tiny 1/32ounce jig- this was about the 10th fish i caught through a hole made by my new auger (got it the day after christmass at dicks) This was the day after that (tuesday) I got the fattest bass ive ever caught throuhg the ice at almost 5pound (21inlong) he came right throught he hole and had about an inch left of space- he went down easy too- the worst scenario is you have to drill another hole right next to it nmaking it wider. This lazer is so much better then a more- have you noticed the edges of the holes are rounded?!???!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2005, 01:39 PM »
Unless you're dealing with 7-8 pound bass, you should be fine with a 6inch hole. Lazers are good augers, I have a 4 inch and 8 inch that I used before I got my Nils Master.... :P

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Get the 8 trust me I fish for big bass and pike and last year I got a 7 pounder and it had to squeeze throu and 8 inch fresh hole why lose the fish of your life? State record bass and can't get him throu the hold oh well cut the line!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2005, 10:03 PM »
I dont think so bob- if i had a state record I would make sure my buddy drilled a quick 3 or 4 holes to widen that sucker up! SCREW CUTTING THE LINE WERE DIEHARD! im sure most icefisherman would do the same.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2005, 11:05 PM »
I can't imagine having to squeeze a 7lb fish through an 8 inch hole....I've pulled 12 pound lakers and similarly sized pike through 8" holes without any problems....drill an extra couple holes if you get that big of a fish that it won't fit.

Get the auger you'd like, I think a 6 inch will serve you fine if that's what you already have and don't want to drop around 80 dollars for a new Lazer.

I wouldn't advise putting differently sized blades on your auger...

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2006, 01:12 PM »
If you have a buddy handy all the time then I guess drilling a few holes while you apply pressure to the bass would work just don't make the hole illegal and get fined more then the 39.99 8 inch Mora cost.  If you fish for Bass the you never know when the next big one is coming up and I would never fish with a 6 inch auger for bass.        Do you really think the guy who said buy the bigger auger would cut the line???

Offline farmer ted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Six is fine, I have caught 6 lb bass and landed them through a 5" hole .

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Your not gonna get fined unless you make a hole bigger then 1foot by 1foot on a lake of less then 50 acres or 50 feet from shore- the idea is there so no snowmobiles go nose first into one.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I use a 10 inch Jiffy and have no problems bringing in 6 pound bass through the hole!!

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:42 PM »
Thats the way to do it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Unless you're dealing with 7-8 pound bass, you should be fine with a 6inch hole. Lazers are good augers, I have a 4 inch and 8 inch that I used before I got my Nils Master.... :P

I don't know.  My 2005 Iceshanty Tourney Winner 7# 23 1/2 " largie did just fine coming outta a 6" Jiffy hole (and so didn't his kid brother 5# about 1 hour later).

And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:49 PM »
(((((I don't know.  My 2005 Iceshanty Tourney Winner 7# 23 1/2 " largie did just fine coming outta a 6" Jiffy hole (and so didn't his kid brother 5# about 1 hour later).)))))

If they are boys wonder what the sisters look like 10-15 pounders lol

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:09 AM »
I used a 6" for years and was able to "squeeze the big ones throgh"
Hand drilling an 8" hole in 2ft of ice, your arms won't fit in your jacket
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:49 PM »
after losing a nice northern through a 6in hole because i couldnt get his head turned up so i could grab hold of him(he unhooked as a friend tried to drill a hole right next to it to make it bigger as i held the line away)  I went out and bought a 8" mora (couldnt afford lazer)  sure it takes more elbow grease but i only use it for my tip up holes and i have the 6in for panfish.  Well i ended up catching my biggest bass to date a FAT 22in  i didnt weigh it because i didnt have a scale and i allways relese gamefish.  Thing is .....I pulled him out with little effort But i actualy had to squeeze him a little bit to get him back in the hole...i know that i would not have got that fish through a 6in hole.  just my 2 cent
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:31 PM »
on ebay I see thing that make the bottom of the hole bigger like a funnel so the fish slide right up. Look great to me.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:19 PM »
I wouldn't trade in the 6'', it's a great auger; mine is on it's fifth season. However, in Southeast PA where I live, the bass (LM) tend to be short but portly around the middle. I've taken off my gloves and dragged 18'' fish through 6" holes after lipping them. Now, I usually target panfish, but every once in a while, pull out an old 7" Mora for bass. Provides a little more wiggle room, so to speak.

camo_fish

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2006, 10:46 PM »
most fish will fit thru a 6" hole, they are much easier to hand drill and if that is what you got, then it's fine.
I personally fish thru a 8" or 9" hole.
As long as you can lip or gaff your fish, you should be able to get it thru a 6" hole.
But, on very cold days that 6" hole turning into 5" or so by the end of the day.
If I'm perch fishing and moving around 6" is fine, if I put out my tipups got to be a 8" or 9" hole.
It hard for me to fish thru a tiny 6" hole after always fishing in a 8" or bigger, never even owned a 6" auger.  8)

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Do you think the Mass state record bass over 15 pounds that was caught ice fishing was taken out of a 6 inch hole???????????

camo_fish

« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2006, 11:48 PM »
Do you think the Mass state record bass over 15 pounds that was caught ice fishing was taken out of a 6 inch hole???????????
no idea, sounds like it would have to be a double 6" or 8" or 10".  :o 15 lbs.  8)

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:22 AM »
i have a 10 inch whole and im glad i did when i caught my 6 1/2 pound 22inch trophy bass lol he barley fit

Catch A Buzz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.