Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bass

six inch hole for bass?

<< < (4/5) > >>

pirkaus:
I used a 6" for years and was able to "squeeze the big ones throgh"
Hand drilling an 8" hole in 2ft of ice, your arms won't fit in your jacket

thorzep:
after losing a nice northern through a 6in hole because i couldnt get his head turned up so i could grab hold of him(he unhooked as a friend tried to drill a hole right next to it to make it bigger as i held the line away)  I went out and bought a 8" mora (couldnt afford lazer)  sure it takes more elbow grease but i only use it for my tip up holes and i have the 6in for panfish.  Well i ended up catching my biggest bass to date a FAT 22in  i didnt weigh it because i didnt have a scale and i allways relese gamefish.  Thing is .....I pulled him out with little effort But i actualy had to squeeze him a little bit to get him back in the hole...i know that i would not have got that fish through a 6in hole.  just my 2 cent

BobWhite:
on ebay I see thing that make the bottom of the hole bigger like a funnel so the fish slide right up. Look great to me.

Van_Cleaver:
I wouldn't trade in the 6'', it's a great auger; mine is on it's fifth season. However, in Southeast PA where I live, the bass (LM) tend to be short but portly around the middle. I've taken off my gloves and dragged 18'' fish through 6" holes after lipping them. Now, I usually target panfish, but every once in a while, pull out an old 7" Mora for bass. Provides a little more wiggle room, so to speak.

camo_fish:
most fish will fit thru a 6" hole, they are much easier to hand drill and if that is what you got, then it's fine.
I personally fish thru a 8" or 9" hole.
As long as you can lip or gaff your fish, you should be able to get it thru a 6" hole.
But, on very cold days that 6" hole turning into 5" or so by the end of the day.
If I'm perch fishing and moving around 6" is fine, if I put out my tipups got to be a 8" or 9" hole.
It hard for me to fish thru a tiny 6" hole after always fishing in a 8" or bigger, never even owned a 6" auger.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version