The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What is best fillet knife?  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
What is best fillet knife?
« on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:25 PM »
I know this topic has probably been discussed many times here but I have missed them.

I have watched the videos on filleting Northerns and realize a good sharp knife is essential.  I need to get one and with the prices of a good one in the hundred $$$ range, I would like to get the best for the price.  What are your recommendations?
Thanks Dinga Ling

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What is best fillet knife?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:45 PM »
 you won't go wrong with a plain old wood handled rapala.
keep it sharp.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 02:00 PM »
 I have long been a fan of "Buck" knives and bought one of their "Lakemaster" filletting knives years ago,however last time I checked I don't think they make it anymore-too bad. I really like it but,like any knife-it has to be kept sharp, which I have found to be a lot easier since I got a "Lansky" sharpening kit. I read about a lot of guys using Electric knives nowdays and probably should try one .....just a little apprehensive(hard to teach an old dog new tricks). Good luck in your seach and like sparkyice said"keep it sharp".
Tombo

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Leech Lake Knife Company

Leech Lake Knife Company makes some BEAUTIFUL fillet knives. If you're looking for artistry + functionality these knives are where it's at. They are pricey though, but it sounds like your looking in that price range anyway.

I don't own one myself but I've used one and seen a few others. If I owned one I don't know if I could bring myself to actually use it they look so good.

+ The company is located up in Walker, so you'd be supporting a local small business if you picked one up.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I second The Leech Lake Knife, I had one until my ex-wife tossed it out with most of my other stuff. :D It was a fish cleaning machine! The best part was a section of blade on the back side to do the first cut. The first cut through the scales behind the pec fin dulls the blade the fastest, so you dulled the back side and kept the main blade sharp longer. It sharpened easy and stayed sharp for a long time. :)

It is still pretty hard to beat those wood handled Normark-Rapala knives though. They are pretty awesome for what they cost.

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info.  I do have an  electric.  It works great on the larger fish cutting the ribs then I switch to the knife.  I guess I will dig out the old Rapala and put a good edge with my new Lansky sharpening kit.  I'll let you know how I do on my next batch of perch this comming Thurs or Friday.  Thanks again, Dinga Ling

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Carefull you can over sharpen a knife to the point that its still dul ... I have used the leech lake knife but still go back to the old stand by`s.
Hard Ice

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:41 PM »
as long as its sharp the old wood handel rapala is a good knife i tried one of the plastic handel rapalas once and only once :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Mister Twister electric........
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:59 AM »
would have to say I like the electric knife the  best........it is very fast and once you get the hang of it you can really fillet some fish.........just my .02

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:04 AM »
as long as its sharp the old wood handel rapala is a good knife i tried one of the plastic handel rapalas once and only once :tipup:
Ditto what Tommy say's, I had a plastic handle and gave it away. Wood handle Rapala, I have 3 different sizes I use. Lots of good knives out there though, to each his own.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:19 AM »
    Chicago cutlery, wood handle, unvarnished with a carved in blade guard recess( this is a huge failing of the old Rapala knife as the varnished handle became slick as snot with a little fish slime on it and the handle actually tapered down into the blade without any form of guard. I witnessed a dandy accident in Michigan
resulting in several severed tendons and a rush 35 mile drive to a hospital in Crystal Falls - (so much for that guys happy fishing trip.) The Chicago's blade is hollow ground so down the line it's easier to maintain proper angle to the edge and requires less material removal to sharpen, rapala's blade has a radial sloped taper to the edge, another drawback. The Chicago Cutlery Knife is made out of a high quality high carbon steel that takes and holds an edge very well, The steel used in Rapalas blade is also high quality. Both are easily affordable knives.
    If you really want the BEST go for Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star II model 30073-180 (7") expect to pay over $100.00 without Sheath. Wusthof Trident also makes comparable quality and priced knives but again these are very expensive and usually relegated to use by professional chefs.

Spin

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I have been using a Rapala fillet knife since the 1960's. I keep thinking that I will find a knife I like more, but I never have!

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Rapala cordless electric--zip through a bucket of fish in no time and no cord in the way. comes with 2 lengths of blade and an extra battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.