The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Reports of Winter's Demise . . .  (Read 1194 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reports of Winter's Demise . . .
« on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:29 PM »
have been greatly exaggerated.

I drove up to Burnett's Pond in Savoy State Forest today, arriving around 11:15 AM.

There was 6" to 8" of snow on the ground on the walk down to the Pond, although the Pond itself was ice free.

I had the Pond to myself the whole time - - my only company was some ravens and the radio.

The edges of the Pond were slushy where I got on, and a little sketchy in others, but it was still frozen pretty solid overall.

I chopped through some partially frozen holes, and set up between 11:30 AM and 12 noon. There was 2" of ice over 1" of slush on top of another 8" of ice.

Temps were in the low to mid 30's. The morning was mostly cloudy with occasional patches of sun and blue sky, punctuated by intermittent flakes of snow, but as the day wore on, the wind picked up (to 5 to 10 mph), it clouded over some more and it began to snow harder. By the time I left, about 1/4" to 1/2" had accumulated.

I had my first flag while I was cooking lunch around 12:30 PM - - a pork chop with diced potatoes, carrots and onions sauuteed in a little sofrito and recaito sauce, with a coffee porter beer, and an apple and sriracha covered peanuts for dessert.

The fishing was pretty good. I ended up catching 7 perch (the biggest was 10") and 10 pickerel (the biggest was 19").

I left around 5 PM, and took the long way home (because it's all down hill) to avoid getting stuck.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Reports of Winter's Demise . . .
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:55 AM »
Way to get out Jim!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Maybe the reports are a little truer than they were a week ago!

Many ponds have lost ice, shorelines are degraded and now some heavy snow to break things down even more!

Many eastern MA waters were gone last week, and the decimation is working its way west.

Luckily I will be heading up north for a few days on Winni in NH.

Then it's time to embrace the melt and prep for spring and open water hunting!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:51 AM »
Maybe the reports are a little truer than they were a week ago! . . . Then it's time to embrace the melt and prep for spring and open water hunting!

34" (yes, that's not a typo, 34 inches) of snow on the ground as I write in Adams.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Wow, that’s huge!
Got about 4, maybe 5” here in Greenfield... feeling lucky now.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:58 AM »
about a 12" here. I just got my power this morning since 10pm Wednesday.
MA

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Me too. Just got it back at 5:30 this morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.