Author Topic: Tire chains  (Read 2616 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tire chains
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Just curious as to what your guys thoughts and experiences are??
Front tires??  Back tires??
Worth it or not?
Thx for any input.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tire chains
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I've used them a lot, they work fantastic if used properly. If you can get them on the front they work great but if the control arms won't allow you to get them on the front they also work great on the back. Best piece of advice I can give is to carry a lot of bungee's with you to ensure the chains are really tight around your tires. If they aren't really tight they will eventually come loose and can cause a lot of damage very quickly.

Offline jignjim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:33 AM »
They can be amazing if used proper. I always put mine on the back. Just make sure they are tight and keep your speed down. Check and tighten them regularily.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:45 PM »
they are ultra amazing. They dig in and go..just dont spin too much as much strain can be applied on the driveline components with such positive traction. I recall years ago we used to go down south to hunt deer back in the 70s when there was always a ton of snow..my buddy had a ford  f250. His dad welded a skid plate under the front end and then we put chains on the back...that ford was unstoppable and the front just floated up top the snow drifts while the back dug in.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 01:53 PM »
They  are  great  but  you  will  still  get  stuck  if  you  start  plowing  with  diffs....

Also  if  your  in  4x4  your  front  tires  could  spin  alot  faster.....as  your  back  tires  will  grip....cause  your  transfer  case  to  heat  up.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:49 PM »
 that's what i was just thinking.  don't even run different tires on a 4x4 let alone chains just on front or back, i'd stick em on all 4.

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:15 AM »
they are ultra amazing. They dig in and go..just dont spin too much as much strain can be applied on the driveline components with such positive traction. I recall years ago we used to go down south to hunt deer back in the 70s when there was always a ton of snow..my buddy had a ford  f250. His dad welded a skid plate under the front end and then we put chains on the back...that ford was unstoppable and the front just floated up top the snow drifts while the back dug in.

I thought my old man was the only one that did that....

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:20 PM »
We used to use chains just on the rear of a two wheel drive half ton Amazing what you can go through.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:37 PM »
They are great, but you can get just as stuck or worse on lake ice... get a little hung up and spin the chains and you can quickly did a hole in the ice - then good luck!

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:12 AM »
Chains are a great tool to have in the bed at all times, but should only be used on ice, snow or dirt and only to get through the deep stuff slowly. I wouldn't recommend running long distance or faster than 15 or 20mph. As others have said get the tightener bungees and get two sets for front and rear or go with rear only if you only have 1 set. I will run until I get stuck (2 times in the last 10 years) then put them on to get out of whatever I'm in, then take them off once clear unless more is expected. I have only needed them on the slickest of glare ice or deepest snow while towing 8k toy hauler, no trailer no problem but I have a 1 ton 4x4 with locking rear diff. With a 2wd chains should be mandatory for winter driving preparedness.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:52 AM »
With the snow we got here the past couple of days even chains wont help. Once you are hung up all four wheels can spin and you are not going anywhere. The more clearance on your vehicle the better. Looks like Ski Do season for the next little while. I will wait for the bigger 4WD trucks to blaze some trails. In the mean time I have snow to shovel. 

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:08 PM »
 ;D Don't know yer location whale but in the mountain west tire chains are in most folks' truck. I'm driving a SRW Ram 3500 and pulling a 27 ft camper and a pair of atvs behind that so I put mine on (on the front) before I need 'em, use plenty of bungees, and drive slow. When you do decide to get chains don't skimp on quality. Rehearse putting them on in the driveway when it's warm and dry. You'll pat yourself on the back for this when yer up to yer axles in mud and snow! Best of luck and hope yer chains stay new and shiny stored in a 5 gal bucket in the back of yer truck! ;D

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:03 PM »
We are on the flat bald prairies of Saskatchewan but with two to three feet of snow in places. Chains will be a big help.
Now we can really get stuck out on the lake. I won't get out until next weekend so am hoping it is not as bad on the lake as what we got here.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:44 PM »
14" here, no more driving on any of the lakes this year i reckon, chains or not.

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:50 PM »
We used to use chains just on the rear of a two wheel drive half ton Amazing what you can go through.

Yup!  My dad used to put them on the rear of his 1970's long box supercab ford trucks and load them up with weight and we would go deer hunting.  I remember pushing light snow up over the hood on those old trucks.

Offline Greatwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:38 PM »
My dad has a Polaris Ranger 800 side x side with tire chains all the way around front and rear for winter set up. We hook onto our 8’x12’ shack and pull it anywhere. And the shack is by no means light it was built to last and also has a floor in it. The side x side is light enough that once the snow hardens up it usually skips across the top. If it does break through just un-hook the shack and blaze a trail through then go back for the shack. Tire chains for the side x side where cheap compared to tracks about $280 for both front and rear tracks are $4500 for a side x side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.