The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to the Ice Fishing, Lookin for some pointers  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the Ice Fishing, Lookin for some pointers
« on: Jan 08, 2005, 10:02 AM »
Hello everybody.  This is my first post and I must say this is one of the greatest things I've ever come across.  Anyway, been wanting to get out since I've been here and my Old Man was cleaning out his basement in New York and found my grandpa's old tip-ups and asked me if I wanted them.  So, now I've got my tip-ups and just need a few pointers on what to use for bait, where to get the bait, how deep do you fish, is live bait legal on Frances?  You know, basic stuff to get going.  I really just want to get out and get some Pike, but, I don't have a boat so doing it in the summer is tough.  Let me say in advance for anyone who replies I appreciate it and thank you.

Good Luck Fishin,

mike
Gotta Love Fishing in Montana!

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to the Ice Fishing, Lookin for some pointers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Welcome.  I don't know anything about live bait legal on Frances or other Montana Regs, but I do know the Pike north of you in Alberta really like smelts, herring, and anchovies. My favorite pike tactic is to take the treble hook off of a red/white, or red/yellow 5 of diamond spoon and attach a 8-10" wire leader to the bootom of the spoon. I then stick the treble hook thru the belly of the bait and clip it to the bottom of the leader. Suspend this 1-2' off the bottom near a weed bed and wait.
Also, dress warm and make sure the ice is safe.  Good Luck

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Thanks man,  I may just have to hook up one of those rigs.  Another thing, do pike hit dead bait as aggressively as they would a lure?  Or do they kinda grab it and swim away?  This might help me know when to set a hook.  (provided I can get one of them suckers to take my bait)  Any tips on Jigging?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty Droz. You'll find a lot of good information on the tip-up forum. Here's a direct link to it-->  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=30.0
Ken                                          

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Thanks man,  I may just have to hook up one of those rigs.  Another thing, do pike hit dead bait as aggressively as they would a lure?  Or do they kinda grab it and swim away?  This might help me know when to set a hook.  (provided I can get one of them suckers to take my bait)  Any tips on Jigging?

Depends on the mood they're in. I've had them nail the bait like it was their last meal and also suck it in and spit it out a few times like they only wanted to play.

Here is another link to check out.
http://www.fishingvermont.net/northern_pike_through_the_ice.htm

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 02:29 AM »

Welcome to the world of Ice

First of all you can't use any live bait on Francis.  But what I do is get some live minnows and an hour before you go fishing dump a bunch of regular salt into the water.  This kills the minnow fairly quickly.  I push a treble hook, eye first through the underside of the minnow so that the eye of the hook comes out near the dorsel fin.  When you put the minnow down have it about 6 inches off the bottom.  Have fun.

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Yeah, I read the regs and Lake Frances wasn't on the live bait list.  Just didn't know if ice fishing was different.  Thanks for the tip on the salt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.