Author Topic: PERCH  (Read 6987 times)

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
PERCH
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:25 PM »
Alot of people ice fish for white perch in maine like me they can run,12-16 inches my bigest was 18inch 3lb do you have white perch in your state? or just yellows
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: PERCH
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:47 PM »
No white perch in Indiana, just yellow, and if I ever caught a 3 pounder I would probably get a concusion from falling off the bucket and hitting my head on the ice, but it would be worth it, but anyways the biggest one I ever caught was 2lbs. 15inches in LAke Michigan JUMBO!!!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline DigJiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:51 PM »
Growin up, we used to spend a couple weeks on Bear Pond in Turner. I would be up at the crack a dawn and out fishin till dark. I used to catch over a 100 a day. My dad would take a mess of them and we would have a big fish dinner with all of the family. These memories will last for ever. I love the taste of white perch, lot of bones though. Need to make another trip up there some time so my kids can fish Bear Pond.  :D

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2004, 11:26 PM »
Have caught 1 white perch ice fishing. Excellent table fare, I thought the bones were larger than the yellow perch.What makes them White as opposed to yellow?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2004, 09:42 AM »
Hi Gang!
   Well you won't be ice or shore fishing on lake Michigan any longer the stupid state of Indiana won't let you fish there anymore! The public access sites are all closed to the general public.  The marina public access sites will be closed this year to non marina members too!  So good luck launching your boats this summer!
   Stinking Indiana state. 
  Da-Roc

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2004, 01:10 PM »
geeeez i wish this wasn't posted here..just wait till germ from the ontario forum sees this. this is going to turn into a debate about size, just wait and see.  grumpymoe  ;D ;D

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2004, 02:30 PM »
A white perch isn't a perch, but a member of the temperate bass family (stripers, white bass, wipers, yellow bass). It is in no way related to the perch family.I think that they call it a perch because the humped back which the white perch has is similar to the humped back that larger yellow perch have.

-Zach

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2004, 03:30 PM »
Are these white perch the same as freshwater drum or sheepshead.

I have heard people refer to drum as white perch on several occasions.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:44 PM »
No, White Perch aren't Freshwater Drum, much smaller. They actually aren't Perch either, but related to White and Striped Bass, their scientific name is something like Morone americanus

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2004, 05:17 PM »
Nah. Moron Americanus are the people who waste their time fishing for those instead of trout! ;)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2004, 05:21 PM »
Nah. Moron Americanus are the people who waste their time fishing for those instead of trout! ;)
AHHAAAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHA ;D ;D ;D ;D OH MY GOD,HHAHAHHAHAHHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAH  SAW THAT ONE COMING  DIDNT YA   I CANT STOP LAUGHING  YOU ARE ONE FUNNY "OLD FART"   OOHOHHHOOHOHO

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Does the lake you fish get stocked with white bass hybrids?  If not then you were catching white bass, the hybrids can't reproduce.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2004, 06:18 PM »
White Bass have stripes, just like mini stripers, white perch dont. White bass are the ones that butcher shad and similar baitfish on the surface in schools. White Perch are more solitary.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2004, 07:16 PM »
White bass

White perch

In NY we have both. White perch are decent table fare from icy waters...White bass are a riot to catch weighing up to 4 lbs...taste like bad cat food!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Oneida has both white bass and white perch. Probably white bass though, at that size.

-Zach

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2004, 11:47 PM »
AHHAAAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHA ;D ;D ;D ;D OH MY GOD,HHAHAHHAHAHHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAH  SAW THAT ONE COMING  DIDNT YA   I CANT STOP LAUGHING  YOU ARE ONE FUNNY "OLD FART"   OOHOHHHOOHOHO

ROFLMAO...you guys are both cracking me up! ;D ;D ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2004, 11:51 PM »
We have white perch in MD and PA.  On Marylands tidal rivers, white perch, and yellow perch as well, are known for their spring spawning runs.  People gather in droves to fish for these tasty fish each year on these tributaries.  These spawning runs may be the only time that some folks fish...

In MD, we have white perch, striped bass, and hybrid stripers too, but no white bass (at least that I'm aware of).

RG, good pics showing the difference.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2004, 02:31 AM »
A white perch isn't a perch, but a member of the temperate bass family (stripers, white bass, wipers, yellow bass). It is in no way related to the perch family.I think that they call it a perch because the humped back which the white perch has is similar to the humped back that larger yellow perch have.

-Zach
yes we got them in oneida lake  & I must had a state record   it was walleye season  & got one  19 inchs  or so  just a thought
 :'( :'( :'(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:43 PM »
Note to self, dont eat white bass, they taste like cat food.......Now how does he know what cat food tastes like??, lol

Offline T ranco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:53 AM »
White bass
(Image removed from quote.)
White perch
(Image removed from quote.)
In NY we have both. White perch are decent table fare from icy waters...White bass are a riot to catch weighing up to 4 lbs...taste like bad cat food!
RG
IF YOU DEEP FRY THEM WITH SALTINES AND EGGS THEY TAST GOOD!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.