The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pickled Ling  (Read 965 times)

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickled Ling
« on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:11 PM »
Probably 6 weeks ago I asked if anyone has ever pickled Ling.  No answers but a few responses praising their favorite pike recipes. Apparently nobody on this site has ever pickled Ling.  Well I finally opened a jar of my home made Ling and it's stellar.  It's 9 days old and over the top great.  Looks like I'll target Ling a lot harder in the future.  Damn good stuff.  Firm texture, soaks in the brine, and not the least bit mushy like Herring.  Pike is always good but Ling kicks pickled fish into high gear.  I've done up Alaskan Salmon, Halibut, Herring, Pike, Panfish & much more but Ling is by far the best I've ever had.  Give it a shot & you won't regret it.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pickled Ling
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Sounds tasty, I just tried my first batch of pickled Kokanee. It tastes pretty dang good but I'm not too crazy about the texture, I'll stick to smoking those instead. Wouldn't mind trying king though.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:34 PM »
sounds pretty good!!!
I had a complaint about my pickled fish being too firm. Id rather have that then mush. It tastes darned good to me.
Did the salmon turn out to soft?

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Salmon that I've used were either Coho or Reds.  They're very tasty but should be cut into thin pieces so they won't be too firm.  I think that Kings, Pinks, or Chum would end up being on the softer side so I've stayed clear of them.  I typically make up over a gallon of salmon each Christmas for family & friends and have always had requests for more.  As for Ling, I'm convinced that their up there with the best pickled fish I've ever made. 

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:09 PM »
I've never thought about pickling fish. How do you go about doing this? Would love to learn how to do it.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Best way to learn will be to google some recipes and videos. Then come back here if you have questions:)

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2017, 11:44 AM »
A cookbook which has a lot of outstanding fish recipes, including a pretty big collection of pickling recipes, is "America's Favorite Fish Recipes," by Peggy L. Ramette and Dick Sternberg.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2017, 02:47 PM »
The Kokanee I did turned out firm as far as not flaking apart like when they're smoked but when bitten into they seem kind of pasty like I would imagine sushi being. They're not disgusting but just different than I'm used to.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Well, my darling bride of over 45 years just tasted the Ling & Pike that I recently made.  Be advised that she's super picky.  She chose the Ling over the Pike.  Says the texture is perfect & flavor is spot on.  Guess I need to head to Clark Canyon one of these days soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.