Author Topic: This weeks cool down...refreeze?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
This weeks cool down...refreeze?
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:36 AM »
I have a few local lakes in the SW part of the state that are mostly opened up. With temps going possibly down to single digits this week is it possible to get back onto them later this week or next weekend? Or are the days just too long and sun too strong at this point to really have a refreeze of a body of water that is mostly open? Obviously the wind will play a role too, but assuming no wind could it happen?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: This weeks cool down...refreeze?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:29 AM »
If they're open I wouldn't count on being able to fish them. But it's possible. Lakes that are still covered will definitely make some safe ice
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Sun is to strong it honeycombs whatever is made that night by lunchtime. If it has ice already maybe but I don't like the look of any ice I've seen around Hamden and Seymour
Go big or go home

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:48 AM »
I was wondering about places in the northeast corner that have good ice but the edges are shot.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:06 PM »
A couple spots were good to go yesterday. May have over 10 inches after this cold blast.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 12:19 AM »
That was the North East. Forgot to mention.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:15 AM »
In the SW I did find that some small stuff refroze and stayed frozen. How good the ice is idk. I would think not safe.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2019, 12:44 PM »
All the small stuff locked up around me and looks "safe" but after sunday it will be gone.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:18 PM »
In a cove that looked pretty bad before the snow last week. I highly doubt it was even safe by the riskiest standards. I checked it today, about 6" of ice maybe slightly under. White ice on top, couldn't tell what was under that, walked right on in my normal shaded spot. Saw a few holes, that had just glazed over, so someone was out yesterday. Along with lots of skate marks. Very surprised again.

The next week looks bad though, this could be the fat lady singing in this area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.