New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: " THE EASIEST CATCH "  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
" THE EASIEST CATCH "
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:13 AM »
 Decided to head out on friday on some local waters for " THE EASIEST CATCH "   .. The night before on thursday got the bait and gear ready. Knowing it was going to be a slighty late start in the morning to do some early morning chores before I set out.

Chores were done , and a last minute check of bait, gear , beverage and food before the drive to the dock. All things looked in order and out the door. On the drive I felt good about my chances to fill the tank ( my bucket ) with " THE EASIEST CATCH " .. Arrived at the dock at 8 bells, many others had already set out in their search . With the amount of other captains  already on the water I began to wonder about my chances about finding good water without alot of other gear around. As I left the dock I did see a large cluster of Clam Corp. blue , and Frabill black. I decided not to press my luck setting up near or next to the season vets , I steamed northwest through some snow but mostly slush. But the weather man was wrong again , as I caught the forcast before leaving. Not much wind and just a nuisance drizzle. A stiff west wind greeted my face along with rain...sideways.

As a steamed a little more northwest away from the cluster I hoped I had found some good water to set my gear.. With the gear ready to be put out I set out a couple of test traps to see if I'd chosen some good water. After a 5 minute soak I knew I had chosen a good spot. I set the the traps back in the area hoping for more action. Was not dissappointed with the quality of fishing in the area. With myself being the only crew that day , after a 2.5 hr grind of great fishing I decided to give myself a much needed coffee and food break to regain some engery for the day ahead.

After my break I decided to pull my test traps and grab my trusty stick . I decided I was going to fish with nothing but plastic , no bait. The fish gods continued to smile upon me that day my friends. As the quality continued to be excellent. I continued to brave the elements with the catching being that good , the elements weren't an issue.

Many hours had past , and the weather started to break , less wind and the rain had stopped. But the catching did slow. Which gave me a chance to asses the numbers I had. After counting I decided I had enough to head back to the processor. ( my fillet knife ) .. As  I am the only one at home to enjoy . After packing up my gear and steaming back to the dock , a smile came across my face . I truly enjoyed the day , feeling the weight in my tank ( my bucket ) .. Not topped off but enough to keep me happy for a few meals.

My bait and gear will be ready for this week as I head back out for " THE EASIEST CATCH "

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: " THE EASIEST CATCH "
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:10 PM »
 Guess I really stink ... honest I took a shower  :P

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Read it earlier...guess I'm like alot of other people...speachless... . it would make for a good novel,.... I honestly thought the "easiest catch" had something to do with the "Sandy Pond Perch".......... ;D

Offline bigdip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any beer down there?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:26 PM »
great story man.....good to be alive some days.........

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:31 PM »
got to love it when it all comes together!!!
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Great story....
;

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.