The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: (OFF TOPIC) Stay at home plan  (Read 6354 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
(OFF TOPIC) Stay at home plan
« on: Mar 23, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Went to meijers in birch run today at noon.... People were frantic... Shelves are nearly bare especially easily cooked things.... Everyone has lost their mind.... Ive still got about 70 lbs of venison and 10+ lbs of walleye in my freezer so im not too worried... Think i might go after trout/salmon this weekend
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stay at home plan
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Seems like people are more worried about toilet paper than food, local stores here have plenty of food, but no toilet paper!
Lots of young guys on here, let this be a learning lesson for if something really bad were to happen and people went into full panic mode.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2020, 03:58 PM »
I'm fully stocked up & we do not Hoard stuff .  Just years of experience w/ power outages & stuff. When we find a deal,we stock up. We have been holed up for the past week,but I did have to go to Meijer & Aldi's today for my 80 yr.old M-I-L. It was insane ! Lots of empty shelves . Lots of rude people & lots of mothers w/ kids,all over the place. No wonder this thing is spreading like wild fire.  Stay safe everyone .
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Yea i can probably go 2 months without a grocery store simply because i stock up on venison.... When this news broke i knew people were gonna lose it so i went and nabbed 100$ worth of stuff to go with burger and fish lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2020, 04:52 PM »
My wife coupons so we always have a stock pile of the essentials but she had to go to the store for some basic stuff there other day and it was a nightmare for her to find half of what we wanted
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2020, 05:58 AM »
Very thankful that I have the skills and good health to hunt and fish. Been pretty self sufficient in that regard for 40 years now.  I echo the panic that I saw and the run on processed foods, meat and paper products. If you shop the produce you are good to go. Be safe my friends.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:04 AM »
I guess not everyone is listening!!

Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2020, 12:41 PM »
That's why the dnr (I believe) asked, prompted, told, the governor to close fishing with motorized boats, because people weren't exercising social distancing. As the old saying goes, a few bad apples......
The tippy dam closure is for the same reason, but got real in a hurry when a guy pulled a gun on another guy for being to close and not maintaining distance. 
Definitely missing my fishing opportunities, but not missing work yet. Lol

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Stay at Home Boredom?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2020, 12:57 PM »
What have my fellow fishermen been doing during this stay at home order? I had been getting my boat ready for a trip to the Detroit river and/or lake Erie. But Whitmer's new order banned fishing from a motorized boat and banned "long" distance travel. That pretty much eliminates my spring steelhead and walleye fishing. I understand her reasoning behind it, and I'm not complaining. Getting honey do list done and been organizing my hunting and fishing gear. To combat my fishing withdrawals, I've been fishing Ebay and online stores for new fishing stuff.
Here are some of my new purchases:
Collaspable storage box, new tilt trim motor and lures.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stay at Home....Boredom?
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Here is some of organizing accomplishments.  Lol

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Continued:

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2020, 01:11 PM »
I've been really bored..... Lol

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2020, 01:32 PM »
I bought two collaspable boxes/crates to store my planer boards, in hopes that one of them would work. 

The hard plastic with red worked perfectly for my planer boards

The black "cloth" trunk organizer found a use too. It's now the carrier for my lure boxes. Fits more lure cases than my old blue case did. And carries much easier then the old blue case.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2020, 01:40 PM »
I've heard of a lap dog before. But I've never heard of a lap cat before.   :woot: :roflmao:

Hope you found a few minutes of entertainment with my post.

What have you been doing?

Take care, stay safe and healthy. Tight lines when this stay at home order is lifted

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2020, 02:41 PM »
Ive been melting lead and making sinkers,powder painting steelhead jigs and thinking about wrapping a rod.im all for slowing the covid19 down now.if we dont comply with the order now it will prolong it as the virus spreads.jmo

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Reloading varmint ammo, had shot more than I thought the last few years. Done ~300 rds of very accurate (and recently tested) 220 Swift, 200 rds of 17 Rem, 150 rds of 22 Hornet and another 160 rds of 243 for a Farmer that turns me loose on his properties. Need to work up some 22-250 loads and aren't sure how much empty 9mm is here

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2020, 05:36 PM »
I poured a ton of jigs and painted some and made some more plastics to top off my softwater box, made some wooden boxes to hold all my jig and plastic making equipment, finishing a small picture frame and gonna start working on my neighbors boat. Also pulled my Smitty sled apart and done some painting on it and put it back together.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2020, 05:27 AM »
You can still go hunting/fishing. hiking. biking. walking. kayaking. You don't have to stay inside. I've been tearen up the gills.turkey season is open . BTW Granholm hasn't been in office since 2011
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Hi guys. I like the jigs you are making for steelhead. Very nice, like the patterns.

Question for you..... do or can you make 1oz jigs for the Detroit river?

Would be interested in some if you do. Been looking all over the internet for some, and can't find any (what I would consider) good deals.

I tie flies myself for steelhead too. Mostly wiggler patterns. The bigger size is for dirty fast water like at 6th street. The medium size for the Rogue, and Tippy dam. Tie #8 and #10 bait holder hooks for small patterns that I use on small rivers like the Bear river.

Found a bunch of steelheading tackle during my cleaning and organizing.  I'm all set for next year. Don't do much salmon fishing, usually to busy playing in the trees in the fall.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2020, 03:27 PM »
I have not bought a detroit river large jighead mold yet.its on my list of molds to get.then i could easily make and powder paint 1oz.jigs.ive only been to Detroit 1 time is why i didnt really have a interest in making them but i like to make fishing gear instead of buying it.i have lots of molds tho.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Well....... another project almost completed. Replacing VRO fuel pump on my boat motor with a "regular" fuel pump. 

Had to design a bracket to mount on the mounting bracket. Also had to seal off the pulse port on the back of the new fuel pump. As I will be using the pulse nipple, since the new pump does not bolt directly to the motor block.

Will be putting this on and putting motor back together later today. Will let you see how it goes.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Well....... another project almost completed. Replacing VRO fuel pump on my boat motor with a "regular" fuel pump. 

Had to design a bracket to mount on the mounting bracket. Also had to seal off the pulse port on the back of the new fuel pump. As I will be using the pulse nipple, since the new pump does not bolt directly to the motor block.

Will be putting this on and putting motor back together later today. Will let you see how it goes.

Why the hate on VRO? I've had three of 'em and the only issue I had was a fuel side went on a '94 Johnny 120. I swapped out the whole assembly and it was just fine. Also had a '96 Evinrude 130 with no issues (other than being a gas/oil guzzler) and a '16 E-tec 135 (very sweet motor) also zero issues.

I know, lots of motor "failures" are routinely blamed on VRO malfunction. Truth is there are a number of other fuel/oil/mixture issues than more often cause those failures that VRO takes the heat for. Understand how that system works and keeping with regular inspection (not a large burden) virtually insure trouble-free operation. Yep, you already made your decision. FWIW here's some great info on the evolution and misconceptions about your VRO: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html and the author's bio: https://www.boatingmag.com/bill-grannis-bio/.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2020, 06:45 PM »
No hate on the VRO pump. Oil tank and line was removed and oil injection nipple was plugged already when I bought the boat. Just easier to put a "regular" fuel pump in versus buying a new oil tank, lines, and new (more expensive?) vro pump.

All installed now. Next project, new tilt trim motor. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 28, 2020, 07:32 AM »
That would be the shorter, less expensive way 'round. Musta picked this up for next to nothing as a project. I'm curious. What motor is is and what are your plans for it?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 07:02 AM »
Rain rain go away, come back another day, after I put a french drain in.

Discovered a crack in my basement wall, that had some moisture in it last week. Has to be from this winter/spring.

Yesterday's overnight and day time rain was a concern of making crack and "leak" worse.

Got ahold of the Army Corps of Engineers (aka me) to dug a temporary relief trench.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Wingfan87 - Not the Army Corps of Engineers - it's know as the 'Homeowners Corps of Engineers'
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Wingfan87 you certainly have found many ways to keep busy and get your mind off of the Corona virus. Sorry to read about basement wall may it be something that is easy and cheap to repair.
 Steve

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34 PM »
Thanks guy's!!

Hoping french drain and sealer will correct the problem.  Will cross thy fingers and hope that's a permanent solution. 

Today was another busy day!!! Lol

Spent a few hours at the junkyard getting parts for the truck. Got a wheel bearing,  a "new" not rusted out tailgate (surprisingly an exact color match). And a new inside driver door panel, and a leaf spring shackle. Have a full day of working on truck once ball joints, tie rods, and suspension parts arrive. 

I must admit, I'm enjoying this time off of work and getting the homeowner list completed. 

Here's another project I completed today.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 06:49 PM »
That's completely WEIRD!!!!

My stay at home boredom thread, magically transferred into Doeslayer's thread. Moderator? 

Weird, for sure.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 01:50 PM »
What have my fellow fishermen been doing during this stay at home order? I had been getting my boat ready for a trip to the Detroit river and/or lake Erie. But Whitmer's new order banned fishing from a motorized boat and banned "long" distance travel. That pretty much eliminates my spring steelhead and walleye fishing. I understand her reasoning behind it, and I'm not complaining. Getting honey do list done and been organizing my hunting and fishing gear. To combat my fishing withdrawals, I've been fishing Ebay and online stores for new fishing stuff.
Here are some of my new purchases:
Collaspable storage box, new tilt trim motor and lures.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.