The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pa walleye  (Read 3531 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
Pa walleye
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:44 PM »
I have never caught a walleye through the ice, matter of fact I have only ever caught two period, but that's another story.  At any rate I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of some decent lakes to try this ice season.  I'd like to see if I can manage to ice a few this year, and get on some different bodies of water as well.  Any other tips offered will be greatly appreciated too  ;D.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
t'pup!

Offline pymybob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Vex anyone?
Re: Pa walleye
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:47 PM »
Try Pymatuning Resovoir. It can give up planty of Walleye, either jigging or with tip-ups.
wish'in I was ice fish'in!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:36 AM »
A couple things to keep in mind. There are very few lakes in PA where eye's reproduce naturally, the fisheries almost always depend on stocking efforts. So start by checking the warm water stocking reports for counties near you and go from there. Search the Fish Commisions website for info on lakes that may be near you and look for lakes with a healthy population of smaller eye's as well as dreamer fish.
Of course, finding lakes with good eye populations is just the beginning of the frustration ;D ;D
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline shillins24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:49 PM »
I noticed that yur from se pa, from what I heard I believe struble lake in chester co, has a decent population of eye's.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:26 PM »
   Hey Jeff  I know there are some in the Nock, but there not easy to catch. You might want to hang around there and hook up with some of the guy's that do it.  Plus it's usually a short season down there.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  Jim, the Nock does have 'eyes in it, and some dandies at that, but you are correct in that they are difficult to say the least from what I've heard.  I've also been told by many that those that do know a bit about the fish there are pretty tight lipped.  The other problem is, as you said, the ice season being so short there.  Some years the lake doesn't even freeze solid, and it can be pretty shaky going many times.  I'll do some pokin' around though for that lake to be sure.  Thanks again guys.

Jeff
t'pup!

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:41 PM »
Try Beltzville, Mauch Chunk, Tuscarora. there are decent stocked populations in each lake.
Chunk is probably the best bet due to smaller size of the lake. The far side of the dam from the access has allways been pretty good, also the old creek channel near the dam. Best times are dawn, dusk and overcast. 3-4 in shiners or chubs on tip-ups or jiggin. Good luck.
Jim K.

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2005, 10:24 PM »
Thanks NightFisher.

Jeff
t'pup!

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2005, 01:14 AM »
One of the highest concentration Bodies of water in the state for walleye's is Prompton Dam in Wayne. Heavily stocked by the state and not extreemely deep avg. 15 feet. Although guys that fish it either love it or really hate it, been there and caught nothing and been there at 11pm and later and had great nights( better bring a good shelter and heater!!!) Bad news though is fish usually average 14-17 inches but have caught a dozen or so 4+ pounders in the last 6 years. Shiners seem to work best yet seen guys have good luck on crawlers.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:25 AM »
This may be a reach, but Minsi Lake (Northanpton Co.) has been receiving stockings of juvenile walleye for years (and still does). However, I have yet to run into anybody that has actually caught one.  ???

Last August I was fishing up there with my daughter and we came across a dead fish floating around in the milfoil. Curiosity got the best of us and we cruised over for a closer look and it turned out to be a walleye... WELL over two feet long!  :o

Maybe they're just dieing of old age in that lake because nobody fishes for them?  :D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2005, 10:00 AM »
You might want to try Lake Galena near Chalfont. No natural repro, but the state has been stocking walleyes in it for years. Haven't fished it throughthe ice, but I suoppose I sould being as it is only an hr. away.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2005, 06:29 PM »
You might want to try Lake Galena near Chalfont. No natural repro, but the state has been stocking walleyes in it for years. Haven't fished it throughthe ice, but I suoppose I sould being as it is only an hr. away.
   Yea I forgot about that place. A good friend of mine  got one about 8Lb's through the ice a lot of year's ago. If I was fishin it I wouldent fish in water any deeper than 15'. There is very little oxigen below that. Try along the rock's on the dam& the tower. or go to the back end and fish the old creek channal. I've taken a lot eye's in the open water there.
   One other thing for some reason they take that lake down to winter pool after it get's some ice on it. Man that really make's it a pain in the a-- to get on or off, have spike's. Somthing else to think about if your a tip up fisherman leve the shinner's at the bait store, go trap your own, make a big difference.
Always keep your line wet!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.