Author Topic: looking for good rods  (Read 2099 times)

sallyda6th

looking for good rods
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 06:59 PM »
I dont have high teck gear like a vexilar or portible shelter, but still want quality gear.  Are Thorne Bros rods worth that much money?  And are cabelas rods ok?  I going to be fishing for blegill, perch, crappie, bass, a walleye?  What are good size and action rods, and line test for these fish?  And how manny poles are neccesary?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:looking for good rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:10 PM »
i fish with the berkley lightning rods.... u can pick then up at cabelas with the rod/reel combo fer about $20..... all ya have to do is add line. i have some of the 24" (i believe) UltraLight which is a good sixe fer the panfish and then i have a 30" Medium Light action rod. that would be better for your Bass and walleye. they are both the same price.

Melbs     :'(

flaggggg

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:15 PM »
I've got the genz series of lightning rods cost 10 bucks more and they were rods only.I also have the regular lightning rods,combos which my son now uses,huge difference.I'm sure if l had a custom built rod l'd no longer be using the genz rods ;) I decided to get all the other toys too.So l got the fl-18 the pro trap this year is the 2hp twin bladed lazer mag.Maybe when l get all my other toys l can start thinking about more rods,by then the wife will have completely forgotten what's new and what ain't ;D     :'(

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 10:35 PM »
flagggggg............

no.... wives NEVER forget what 'toys'  r new and which ones arent.... NEVER.....lol

Melbs     :'(

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:04 AM »
My fav rod would have to be the st. croix!!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 01:24 PM »
I have two of the Cabela's ice fishing rods.  I like them.  I was catching fish last year when others were just jigging.  I think part of my luck was being able to feel the bite a little better than the other guys.
t'pup!

Knife2sharp

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2003, 07:23 AM »
The Thorne Bros rod's are well worth the money.  I have 3 of them and I won't buy any other rod.  My first was one of their fiberglass ones which didn't cost as much as the graphite ones.  I eventually bought a graphinte one and I couldn't beleive how sensative it was.  When fishing 30 ft with flourocarbon line, you can feel a crappie minnow struggling on the end of your hook with your index finger.  It helps that I live within driving distance of their store so I can actually see the rod that I'm buying.  

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:47 PM »
Thorne brothers rods are well worth the money, I have been using them for years and never had any problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.