Author Topic: Reel & Line Question  (Read 799 times)

Offline MTIceHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Reel & Line Question
« on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Hi all,

I have only used mono line my whole life, whether that be on the ice or open water. I am starting to get into more big fish ice fishing (walleye, pike, lake trout) and have a question on reels & lines. Most designated "ice fishing" reels I have seen seem geared for panfish (i.e. only holding a decent amount of lower lb test mono). These reels have a capacity of say 80 yards for 8lb test. I am under the impression that braid has a lower diameter so that you can get more of a higher lb test on the same reel. Question is, for your bigger fish requiring 8-20lb test, do you simply use a bigger reel with more mono capacity, or do you use braid with a floro/mono leader?

On top of this, do you find that your open water reels work just fine? I am open to all suggestions on reels, lines, brands to use, etc.

Thank you!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Reel & Line Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Open water reels work fine, I only use superline. Line diameter varies a bit but superline of the same lb. test will be about a 1/4 of mono, but more importantly........... much more sensitive no stretch.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2019, 10:01 AM »
As eyeflyer says open water reels work fine. I take mine off my long rods and put them on my ice rods every year. Never use braid but know a lot of folks do. Main con I have heard about braided line is it absorbs water and freezes. Hope y’all have a great season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Yes, just use your standard open water reel.  Since ice fishing isn't casting, you generally don't need that much of line.  More useful for me is if using spinning reels, I rather prefer a larger spool arbor so that my line coil memory are larger.  As since I am a bait casting reel preference, I have a few set ups with heavier line, if nothing else I use my open water reel and braids are usually 15# and upwards to 50# type.

When it's cold...water will freeze on any line.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline RedRiverRick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:21 AM »
For Walleye I really like Pfluger President reels in size 20.(the small one). I use 30 yards of 10lb Braid, with a 3’ FlouroCarbon leader. It’s a nice set up. You don’t really need a lot of line for Walleye up here in Manitoba.
What colour are you using?

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:39 AM »
I use Pflueger president size 30 for both open water and my ice rods. I don't use braid in the winter because it freezes up. I use 6 pound Trilene sensation in solar (Chartreuse) so I can see it on my perch ice rods.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:57 AM »
I agree with the last couple of posts.  We run mostly Pflueger Presidents, plus a couple of Trions.  I prefer the size 25 for my ice setups .... more bearings than the size 20 and the drag seems better, as well.  I have a 20 that sits on the shelf now since it was no comparison to the 25.

Also, I tried using one of my open water Pfluegers that was loaded with 20# Power Pro with a 10' mono leader for laker fishing.  I was sitting outside the shanty and that line froze so fast that I couldn't even reel the line it at all!  Had to thaw the front eye constantly.  I switched to a lighter setup that was just mono and had much fewer freeze up issues.  Maybe there are better braids for ice fishing, but I'll stick with mono or flouro.

Offline MTIceHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Maybe I am overthinking how much line and # test actually required. I have a couple reels that I can rig up that should work. For the second reel, think I will go with a president 25. I run presidents on all my open water rods, but they are size 30 minimum.

Thanks again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.