Author Topic: Lake Michigan Coho  (Read 5648 times)

Offline erikschultz99

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Michigan Coho
« on: Feb 11, 2022, 05:13 PM »
Has anyone thought about or heard of any bites going on for coho up in portage or michigan city

Thanks! & tight lines

Offline Gartoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Michigan Coho
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2022, 06:04 PM »
Not yet  but sooooooon  ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:13 PM »
end of march
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stanton21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:43 PM »
Ditch is on fire.  Casting or floating shrimp,worms or sacks..
I'm standing right next to you and you don't even know it.

Offline fishersofmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jesus Christ is lord
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:32 AM »
someone i know got 4 coho yesterday but they went all over the lake....plus fished the ditch....not sure if they were keeper coho or how many were caught in the ditch....i was in my kayak and had one hit close to kayak but it was only on for a few seconds....was not a laker unless it was a small one....felt like a 1-1/2# something
Jesus said to be fishersofmen

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2022, 12:46 PM »
Michigan City locked back up. Bite has been slow there.  A few caught by the warm water in the Ditch

Probably in 2-3 weeks it will be starting to pick up

Don't wait for word of a hot bite - if you wait til you hear about it to go, there's a good chance you'll miss the best fishing

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2022, 11:59 AM »
I would love to get on some fish up there.  I went once last year and didn't catch a thing.  I think I was a couple of weeks early.  A few guys had fish at the pier but no one I talked to inland had much luck.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07:09 PM »
This warmer weather coming next week after the precip will start kicking the fish into gear. 1st of march is a target date to start trying on a regular basis. For about a good 4-6 weeks of shore fishing
Got one goin'!

Offline brad3324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Anything going yet? I've only been out in a boat but I work in Valpo now and would like to do some after work trips somewhere. Any advice would be great.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:03 PM »
couple weeks yet but its coming.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tnrandy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2022, 09:34 PM »
If you get the opportunity stop in at Sleez’s bait shop in Lake Staton and get the latest info. There should be some at Portage river walk and into the ditch. If any of the launches are not iced up you can troll shallow presentations from the Midwest Steel discharge to the mouth of the ditch. The USGS gauge located under the green bridge shows more flow and the level is up from before the last rain. You can find data from the past 3 hours on the web site. The water clarity will be poor as it always is. I have started as early as February 12 some years.

Offline tnrandy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2022, 09:40 PM »
I know this is a ice fishing forum but I had to sneak that in. By the way the ice is holding around 6 inches in these parts of the northwest Indiana with some of the edges iffy. It won’t be much longer before open water.

Offline brad3324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2022, 09:59 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2022, 10:33 AM »
Do they charge to get into Portage River front now
Tom

Offline redjones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2022, 06:33 PM »
I was there last week and have never been charged anything in years past either,so no for now.

Greg
Semper FI

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Do they charge to get into Portage River front now

Starts March 31st

$15 daily or   $45 for the annual National Park Pass

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2022, 10:22 PM »
Thanks Ben
Tom

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2022, 11:17 AM »
hope to hear some reports here in a week or two!  ill be ready to hit it by the 20th.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2022, 11:30 AM »
Fishing has generally been slow but there are starting to be a few guys catching multiple fish per day in Michigan City, Burns Ditch, etc

Two people at work fished yesterday, one caught 2 shorts, and one caught 3 keepers

Main lake temps are in the low 30s, so the coming warm up should get them scooting into the relatively warmer harbor and pier areas

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I've been looking into going up there but the weekend weather hasn't been looking good.  I may need to take a weekday off and head up there before gas prices get higher.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2022, 06:46 AM »
im sure not making the trip with 4$+ gas!  ridiculous to say the least.  no reason for prices like this!  bad leadership

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2022, 08:11 AM »
im sure not making the trip with 4$+ gas!  ridiculous to say the least.  no reason for prices like this!  bad leadership
Lets go Brandon. lol

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2022, 08:11 PM »
Looking to try trolling for coho .I don’t have down riggers or planer boards or dopey divers but can you just troll with diving plugs and still have some luck hooking up.And what plugs would anyone that trolls for them recommend.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2022, 02:08 AM »
j plugs, little cleos, k.o.wobbler

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2022, 02:17 AM »
Looking to try trolling for coho .I don’t have down riggers or planer boards or dopey divers but can you just troll with diving plugs and still have some luck hooking up.And what plugs would anyone that trolls for them recommend.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
id imagine at times of the year so e fish can be caught that way... But you really need to get a little deeper... Dipsys arent super pricey
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:04 AM »
Thanks for the relies and I was mainly referring to the early spring coho where they are really close to shore

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2022, 07:36 AM »
never found the need for a boat this time of year.  just chunk out some shrimp or crawlers with trout paste from shore.  the major creek mouths will fill up with fish very very soon.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Not really a Coho man, although caught bunches back in the day when all the craziness started. A few years ago we had a couple of days in March in the 70's so took my 16' Starcraft out at Portage with a buddy that loved spring Coho. Trolled around in front of break wall  and west a ways with silver and black Hot'nTots , no weight.  Had  a limit in a couple of hours. Never got more then couple hundred yards off the beach.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline 2LMKR2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2022, 10:47 AM »

You don't need anything fancy to troll this time of year. Planer boards just spread out your lures. You can still run 4 or 5 flat lines without too many tangles, just watch your turns! That's how I started years ago. Most any minnow type of lure will work. Hot'n Tots, Thin Fins, Rapalas, Reef Runners all work great! You can vary your spread depth by running a few deep divers. I use keel trolling weights quite often, I use a 30” to 36” momo leader with a snap swivel to attach the lure, and a ball swivel on the other end, then a snap swivel on the main line for the leader. If you want the lure to run deeper just add a 3/8, ½, 5/8, ¾ oz trolling weight between the main line and the leader, and you can run with or without weight and change or adjust in a matter of seconds.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2022, 02:03 PM »
Going to be expensive trip for sure if I would hook up or not but been watching you tube videos and I have the fever.Another question what size rods would anyone recommend .I don’t have any trolling rods per say but sportsman whate house has some relatively cheap combos that would probably work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.