The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pinedale Lakes get together???  (Read 4833 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Pinedale Lakes get together???
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Ryan (MassNTrash) did a little digging today and saw that the pinedale boat club is labeled as "inactive" and there are no events scheduled. This is about the best indication I could see that the fremont derby is officially cancelled. I guess there's still hope, but not much. My idea today was why don't we still all go hang out at one of the pinedale lakes and fish. Instead of canceling room reservations, canceling plans, etc, let's keep it all intact and go fishing. If we all want to bring $20 for a little gentlemen's wager that's all fine and dandy but I look forward to fishing the derby to experience some different scenery and see some IS buddies. Anybody who's in for that just let me know. Even if I'm by myself....I'll probably still be there hahahaha. March 3rd and 4th for those wondering.

-Trent
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I値l ice fish there too!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pinedale Lakes get together???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:20 PM »
I'd be in for sure obviously I don't have far to travel. I can also help make plans or go on scouting trips etc whatever you need me to do Trent just let me know.

Offline kdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:24 PM »
The boat club is inactive.  Lakeside lodge has taken over the tournament for this year.  I talked to them on Monday and they are still planning on it if Fremont freezes.   They said they will determine if it is going to be safe ice after this weekend.   I have not heard any reports on ice conditions at Fremont the last couple days.  We will probably keep our reservations as well if they decide there is not safe ice.  We would love to meet up and fish some of the other lakes as well.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:36 PM »
The boat club is inactive.  Lakeside lodge has taken over the tournament for this year.  I talked to them on Monday and they are still planning on it if Fremont freezes.   They said they will determine if it is going to be safe ice after this weekend.   I have not heard any reports on ice conditions at Fremont the last couple days.  We will probably keep our reservations as well if they decide there is not safe ice.  We would love to meet up and fish some of the other lakes as well.

That's is good hear, the derby is so popular it seems too bad it would just fade away.  As far as the ice, on Sunday there was still a big patch of open water/slushy ice off of the east bar.  With the warm temps and the wind it will be tough to get much safe ice by the weekend.  My wife did see someone driving with ice fishing gear down toward the campground, maybe there is enough ice over by Sylvan Bay? 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:00 PM »
Maybe I jumped the gun a bit too soon, but with the warm temps coming my confidence is low that it will happen.

I guess I'll rephrase it by saying IF the derby doesn't happen, who has interest in still doing a get together!?
Trent Williams

Offline kdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Thanks for the ice update Dorado.  I've been having anxiety about the dang ice at Fremont.   Hopefully we get some good safe ice soon.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:08 AM »
The forecast doesn't look too good for building ice. Highs above freezing for the foreseeable future. Yesterday it was 41 here and the afternoon wind came up as well. I'm sure that wasn't very nice on Fremont ice. Sounds like at least someone has tried to take over the derby anyways which is good. I'd still be in to fish that weekend on another lake if the derby doesn't happen though.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:41 AM »
If a hard date is set for this, we'll make it a sticky at the top of the forum for everybody.  :tipup:

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:35 AM »
If a hard date is set for this, we'll make it a sticky at the top of the forum for everybody.  :tipup:

Thanks man. We'll figure it out in the coming days.
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I am in for a get together. That's  sad about the boat club, I've been fishing the Derby for 30+ years. It's hard to get people to take the lead and be committed to such volunteer clubs. I suspect that's what's happening here. Be careful advertising cash or any prizes, FS & G&F won't like that.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I was under the assumption that if it's a small group of people then it's a mute point. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am they can call me. That was never set in stone anyways. Just an idea since it is derby weekend.
Trent Williams

Offline El_Stu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:14 PM »
I'd probably be down for something.  Fremont looked terrible today when I came back from Half Moon.  Half Moon is pretty good though, but the ice hasn't grown much.  I'd say right on the edge of being safe for sleds.  Almost looked like there was less ice than last weekend.

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Wouldn't mind meeting a few new shanty brothers...sounds like fun...
If Fremont ever freezes :(

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:01 PM »
For sure Nevin and I would be into a get together

Offline RS_ICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:14 PM »
I'm in too. Been fishing the derby for about 13 or 14 years. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't headed up north the first weekend in March. If the derby gets cancled I would suggest figuring a way to weigh or measure and release the fish especially if it is just for bragging rights. Keep us posted!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Sounds good guys! Wherever you locals think we'll have the best ice that's where we'll go. Might be awesome if we can still drive into Boulder like I've heard you can do now. Anyway, keep the chatter coming and we'll decide on a lake in the next couple weeks!
Trent Williams

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Wherever you locals think we'll have the best ice that's where we'll go.

Might want to make it soon lol it is crazy warm. Fremont opened back up some over the weekend. Ice is still holding well on boulder, half moon, new fork, willow, and green river lakes though. Let me know what I can do to help out trent.

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Talked to Lake Side Lodge and the Fremont Derby is officially canceled this year.  Who ever had rooms booked she said they already cancelled them at no charge.  Crazy weather indeed.  Has this ever been cancelled before due to no ice ??

Offline Lets fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:29 PM »
sure has i beleive 1981

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Catch and release idea is awesome...just take a pic with a tape like we all do for the shanty derby...gotta let them big ones swim

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:18 PM »
The Rooster, a bait shop in Rapid City,
SD puts on a contest for the largest fish in different categories. Clam donated a ton of their fish tapes and now the lake trout category is a catch, pic of fish on the tape, and a pic of the release. No longer are people killing Lakers just to be brought in and weighed because, "it looked bigger than the leaders". CPR will maintain a fishery where they can be 25 years old+   :tipup:

Catch and release idea is awesome...just take a pic with a tape like we all do for the shanty derby...gotta let them big ones swim

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Theyve done that the last few summers for the summer Buckboard derby too.
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:05 PM »
I use a "Send'erDowner" that I made out of a coat hanger and a heavy weight on a string. Hook the coat hanger through their gill plate and send em back to bottom. Someone makes them commercially, Fish Decender, I believe.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:37 PM »
So where does everyone think? I haven't even been out yet, I had my eye surgery last week and can see again! I'm ready to go someplace. I know we can catch fish at Half Moon, maybe not as good a chance of a big fish. What's your thoughts?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:52 PM »
You guys still interested in fishing? Should've turned up some ice. I was thinking boulder since everyone could drive right there but that could potentially be gone...and now we may have fishable ice everywhere! You locals let me know!
Trent Williams

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I would still be in. I can go check the road into boulder if you want me to as well.

Offline El_Stu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I think Fremont will be fishable.  I checked ice off the south boat ramp today, about three inches of good hard ice.  Looked like someone had went out about 75 yards or so but i wasn't feeling that brave yet.  Looking at what the night time lows are, I bet it will be in good shape

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:25 PM »
I say we do boulder just so we can drive to our spots with vehicles. Fish seem to be better size on average there than the other smaller lakes from what I've heard. Everyone okay with that?? Still any interest??
Trent Williams

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Fremont now has much easier access than Boulder.....

Boulder does hold some very nice fish, but for me is very hit and miss.  It was great early, but I have had some very slow days out there later in the season.  Of course I also caught a nice fish there last March on the derby weekend;)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I like easy access :) .
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.