Author Topic: Anybody considering the new Shappell FX100  (Read 16961 times)

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anybody considering the new Shappell FX100
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Shappells of all models are popular in this neck of the woods and I've never met anyone who wasn't happy with theirs.  After returning two other new shelters from other brands this fall for defects, I finally bought a Shappell Wide House 5500 and it is great.  Easy set up, heavy 600D fabric, flawlessly sewn, strong zippers, windows that fit well and are replaceable, a great bag with plenty of room, and the whole thing only weighs 22lbs.  Shappell makes great stuff and you cant go wrong with any of their models.  Just, my 2cents  ; - )
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Shappells of all models are popular in this neck of the woods and I've never met anyone who wasn't happy with theirs.  After returning two other shelters this fall for defects, I finally bought a Shappell Wide House 5500 and it is great.  Easy set up, heavy 600D fabric, flawlessly sewn, strong zippers, windows that fit well and are replaceable, a great bag with plenty of room, and the whole thing only weighs 22lbs.  Shappell makes great stuff and you cant go wrong with any of their models.  Just, my 2cents  ; - )
Couldn't agree more in New England lot more Shappel and Nils    I travel to NE about 4-5 times a year for work .
It's strange seeing how regional products are .   In the Midwest it's all clam frabil and otter , but would say otter is gaining market share . I ve put together about 10-12 huts over the years and I owed a buddy a favor last year and put his otter together for him . imo very , very quality sled / fabric / frame gonna give the BIG 2 a run for their $      My2 cts

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:32 AM »
After a lot of looking and reading, I decided to put the fx 100 on my list for Santa! Can't beat made in MI.. My old 5600 clam is a tough pull two miles on foot, I fish alone a lot so I'm lookin forward to less weight on those days...

<°)))>{

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:10 AM »
I've got a Rover 1.5dx. I went to the fabric store, bought some 2" high density foam and a little vinyl. Stapled the vinyl to the bottom of the bench over the foam. Much more comfortable. A decent stadium seat would probably work, too. I also put a hinge on the bench and hammock-like netting under it for some additional easy access storage, like their old Rover 2.0.

I have nothing but good to say about the sled!

Dave

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Per my other post, I am a Shappell fan.  Picked up the FX-150 late last year on clearance and liked it so much I sold my Nanook.  As others have stated, not screwing with those tabs on the Clam poles is a big time saver and they are made in Michigan.  I called Shappell and they confirmed sleds are made in USA, but all hubs, theirs and everyone else, are made in China.  I believe Clam sleds are also made in USA to be fair. 

I have wrestled with 1 man sled deal for 3 years.  I owned a Kenai and while its size was nice, I had no room to haul anything and ended up dragging my sled with me.  I settled on the FX 150 from Shappell (in full disclosure, I bought it thinking it was a 2 man).  The FX 150 is a big one man and has ample room for auger, flashers, camera, heather and buckets slide under the bench seat, which also slides back and forth to allow for putting your feet in the sled.  Yes, it is heavier at I think 60 pounds, but being able to put all my stuff in the sled and put my heather behind me in the sled sold me. 

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I actually had in mind to buy the FX150 originally, just for the heavier fabric and one piece poles. But the weight on it was pretty much identical to my Trekker, so I wasn't saving anything there. After seeing the flared front on the FX 100 and looking at the weight difference, I was sold on the smaller one. The $160 price difference didn't hurt anything either. Only thing I plan on doing is adding a cheap, light seat of some sort to the bench, and maybe a storage pouch of some sort. I've not got many complaints about my Trekker, but after 5 years, the poles don't slide like they used to, and the 300 denier cover is getting very thin. I'm sure there will be days and places where I'll still use it, but that little Shappell should be a lot easier to load and drag for this fat old guy.

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:36 AM »
Bought mine last month.
Just put it together
Seems decent, can't wait to slide it out on some hard water!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:21 AM »
wrote about my issues with this last season or one before.

the height of the bench with the tent pulled to the halfway point is too high and your head/hat will hit the tent if you are around 6'. the unit is designed to be used that way and they sell one that only goes halfway, stops over your head and not meant to go to the surface.
my fix' was to buy a conduit bender and conduit and conduit clamps and screws and make new bench mounts that allow the bench to slide to the rear of the tub and most importantly to lower it a few inches because i wanted a light weight boat seat for a back rest and an air bag on top of that.
when the tent is pulled to the surface you can slide the bench back to get more room in front of you while fishing.
it also makes it easier to get to your things under the bench.

next MAJOR problem is the tents roof to wall seams are real bad. they used way too big of a sewing needle (chinese makes the tents for shapell) and so when you look from the inside out, you can see tons of day light. that means tons of water coming down into your tub and person and fishing space. i called mike (owner of shappell) about this and he could only say to buy a seam sealer. his receptionist said is wasn't for wet weather (best way to sum up  her exact words), but got me to mike any way.
i did NOT like what i was hearing in either case, but liked the shanty for the rest of the quality and wanted it fixed. i asked a shoe cobbler what he would charge to fold and resew the seams and he said 60$ but it would still need seam sealers.
thats not what i wanted to hear either, so i bought some wind shield repair silicon and flattened out the seams in short sections so the silicon wouldn't run to places i didn't want it to go. and did both sides, top to bottom with the stuff on the out side of the seam. it no longer leaks, but the windows leak real badly still when snow melts on them or worse yet, starts raining. the rear window allows water to get all over your gear and start filling your tub.

i added the reflectix to the roof. led light strip to the front and center bars with remote control dimming/on/off. much longer rope with a handle so i can step inside the rope and pull hands free. made a smitty (thanks smitty!!) sled to make it much easier to pull with all my gear in the tub on days where the lakes have too much snow on them. the boat seat and air bag. some go faster stickers.
also, i added some velcro strips to the bar so when its half way open, i can have the bar hold the extra fabric from blowing around in the wind. just secure the velcro from the bottom of the tent to the add-on velcro strips on the side bars.

if they would only fix the roof seams like they make their wall seams, all would good to start with.

also, the first tub i had collapsed in the front corners and mike replaced right away no charge. the new tub weighed in more (a few ponds) and he said they had to beef up the injection mold thickness because of that issue.

still contemplating how to fix the window leakage problem. thinking storm flaps still, on the out side sewn to the tops of the windows and velcro straps to keep them rolled up and velcro corner to keep it in place when its storming/raining/snowing out.
i should call mike again about them adding it to their products. he said he would like to hear any ting that would be good for them.
not sure how they would sell an after market storm window kit

wanted to add, i liked the shappell suit case shelter, owning the dx 3000, i knew it was well built and never had any issues with it.

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I have had Shappell shacks for years.  Quality has always been excellent.  Never had the model you are asking about though.
Nick

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I purchased the FX200 two years ago.  Really like it and would recommend it.  I really like the fact that the poles do not need to be extended.

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:55 PM »
So are they dark inside for sight fishing too?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:34 PM »
they are black on the inside of the fabric.
600 denier fabric.
windows have inside flaps to closeout the light.
they get dark.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:24 AM »
Would love to see them add a full insulated tent with a nice padded seat , then this would be the ultimate shanty . I know it would add weight , but if it was 60lbs or less this would become the # 1 shanty sought after.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:11 AM »
I like mine it weighs nothing, if they sold a thermal tent I wouldn't hesitate to buy it

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:13 AM »
How much fishable space does this have?
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Santa came early!!!

<°)))>{

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Quick question for you FX100 owners. How does this shelter fold down? The specifications say that the travel size is 44" wide, but I thought that the poles adjusted in so that the folded dimensions would be more comparable to the sled base?

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:14 PM »
there is no pole adjustment, they are fixed length. they just fold back and forth and sit on top of the sled when folded to pull. the tube that touches the ice is wider by a few inches to give extra floor space and hangs over the sled some when folded up.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Well guys, the best got better...

I screwed up my tarp last season and ordered a new in September...

I opened it up and was pretty shocked! The material is a slightly different shade of blue, and its twice as thick!! The coating on the inside seems heavier too... Plus all the seams are double stiched and taped... No more light coming in anywhere!!!

It damn near like an insulated flip now!

The new cover does seem heavier by a few pounds, but I love it!!

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:49 AM »
say it ain't so!
i have to spring for another fx100, what's the wife gonna say...
thanks man!
hopefully these posts helped them make it better and selling out may have helped also.

Offline Fishinfoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2016, 12:42 PM »
I own a fx150 and fx 200. Love them both doesn't get much easier than a shappell to run an gun with.my advice is get the fx 200. They both use the same sled. Fx150 is mounted one way on the sled, the 200 is mounted long ways.much more room in the 200 but not much more weight. I agree American made is a plus. Tired of sending my money abroad.enough said.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 17, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Quick question for you FX100 owners. How does this shelter fold down? The specifications say that the travel size is 44" wide, but I thought that the poles adjusted in so that the folded dimensions would be more comparable to the sled base?

Thanks for the feedback!
photos of my FX 100 folded down and with travel cover

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:15 PM »
just got back from knustsons in michigan and picked another fx100 for 219.00$ and anothe 30$ for the runner savers and 35$ more for maggots, 2500 of them! it was their last one. much has improved since new ownership. the seat tube/conduit is bigger and the bench slides now. the roof seam is double stitched and rolled over with no air holes to watch birds from any more.
the fabric is the same tho at 600 denier as all of their tents are. i thought the fx150 had some different black/roof fabric coming down near the center pole, but i'll know more after i assemble my new one in the kitchen in a while. my old one is sold a few minutes after i picked up the phone for 180$.
another thing, it now says ice fishing shelter on the outside of the box. the old lady who used to answer the phone told me it was not when i mentioned all the water coming in from the roof seams lol! hope they got rid of her too and get some one who acts like they care now.

i'm glad they fixed these past issues and now i hope they don't come out with insulated tents because i keep buying their new versions. just kidding, bring it shappell!

thanks Ice Scratcher! i didn't check the cost of just the tent they sell, because i wanted the newer seat design too. tent should be about 100$ i think w/o looking first.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:49 PM »
3300, I called Eagle Claw with a question about my FX 100, they have no idea about the product line they represent. I'd much rather talk to the Shappell's they knew there product, as they designed and developed it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:10 PM »
me too. never called eagle claw and don't want to. eagle claw doesn't own shappell, the parent company of eagle claw bought shappell. i always call the manufacture and have been buying shappell for years. i have 5 shacks now and only one is not shappell. shappell is from my home state, so i want to support my home state when i have a choice.

i was speaking of shappell the whole time i was talking about them in my previous post other than the new company that owns shappell has made major improvements to the shappell line up. and that's a great thing. too bad it needed a push is all to get it right. i tried telling shappell about these problems and they said it was beyond their control because the tents are made in china. i didn't accept that as an excuse and know whom ever told china how to sew it could change their mind. it has happened, but it took another company to push it thru or so it seems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.