Author Topic: One man shacks that flip sideways?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
One man shacks that flip sideways?
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Looking to switch up my one man setup. Currently running an Eskimo evo 1it and I'm used to having some extra room, but I'm not crazy about having to pop up/down the hubs to set up and take down, plus the hubs take up quite a bit of room in the sled and don't leave much room for gear.

Prior to the 1it I was using a clam Kenai and felt claustrophobic sitting inside it, and I'm not that big of a guy at 6' 175lbs.

What I'm looking for is a one man shack that flips over the side of the sled rather than the narrow end like the Kenai. I'd rather not use a 2 man with 1 seat out since I don't need that much room.

What makes/models should I be searching for?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: One man shacks that flip sideways?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:01 PM »
Clam legend, Frabill Recuit, not sure but maybe the Shappell 150(?)

Otter cottage is another one, but as much as it weighs, you might as well get a small 2 man like a Nanook or a Sierea and take out a seat.

Just note on these you’ll have to extend and retract the poles when you flip it over. Not a quick flip like the Kenai, but honesty, not a big deal, it takes 30 seconds.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Is there a difference between the clam legend and the legend xl? Bit of a sticker shock there, I see the xl going for $500-600. Didn't expect that!

Offline THE WIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:02 PM »
IMHO the lightest and best one ever built was the SNO BOAT.  No longer made, but worth searching for a used one.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2021, 10:48 PM »
The ice runner shacks are light for the size- their 1 man is taller than most, and the 2 man weighs what a lot of 1 man shacks do.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:16 AM »
Look for a Clam Legend XL. the original Legend had a all black sled and the sled was the old design. the Legend XL sled was redesigned to give you 23% more space in the same size foot print. also the XL sled has a light Gray interior which makes finding small hooks and jigs easier if you drop them in the sled. the original legend was only 600 denier fabric and the XL's are now 900 Denier fabric. If you step up to the Legend XL ice team edition you will get a light bar and battery bracket and travel cover with it which if bought individually would be more then the if you spent the extra $100 to get the ice team edition. MSRP on the regular XL is $529.99 and the Ice Team Edition is $629.99 
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:26 AM »
I was in the same place last season. Wanted to get a one man flip to replace my Clam Big Foot XL. I also wanted a little elbow room. I went with the Clam Nanook XL. Very happy with my choice. I use it as a one man with just one seat. It is light enough to load in an SUV by my self. I’m older and walk with a Smitty with no problems. It is also tall enough for me to stand.  I considered other 1 and 1 1/2 man sleds and really like the extra room of the Nanook XL. Very happy after a season of use.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:13 AM »
I move a lot and those freekin retractable poles just plain suck.  if its windy ya gotta mess with them everytime you move. Brutal-

I have a Nanook, hate it- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Shappell FX150 still flips out the back but it is very wide sled, almost square because it is so wide. I'm guessing this would work for what you are wanting
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I have never used one, but would you need to retract the poles when moving from spot to spot if you are pulling by hand?
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:08 PM »
I like that my poles extend in my eskape 300... Im 6' and can stand strait up.... Some of the flips are real short.. I seen a frabill on the bay the other day couldnt have been 5' tall... Would bug the piss outta be to have to get out to stand up
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:14 PM »
I like that my poles extend in my eskape 300... Im 6' and can stand strait up.... Some of the flips are real short.. I seen a frabill on the bay the other day couldnt have been 5' tall... Would bug the piss outta be to have to get out to stand up
my eskimo quickflip 1 is short. i don't mind it getting in and out, but at the end of the day when I'm packing up my stuff before flipping it down it kills my back standing there hunched over.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:44 PM »
I have never used one, but would you need to retract the poles when moving from spot to spot if you are pulling by hand?

On glare ice no. But it gets "tippy" in snow and then the extended poles/canvas start dragging. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:03 PM »
My 2 man frabil is not that big even with other seat out. It also doenst weight a lot. I reserached pullovers before I got mine.

Im 5'9" and I think the frabil would be fine for you without being too big.

I wanna say an empty sled with one seat is under 40 lbs. I also only got insulated top to reduce weight as well.

When I move. I bring my rear poles down all the way and then i kind of "step" the other 3. The last one on front can usually stay extended all the way. Just saves a minute or two setting back up. 

If im moving far. I bring them all down and throw my cover on.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:53 PM »
I have used a fish trap pro since early 2000’s   Flips over side , one man very roomy , never had any problems with poles , I do lubricate them every season. Took seat out which almost cut weight in half. Use folding chair.
I use it a lot living on a lake , pull by hand . If you can find a good used one they are great. I do not retract poles when moving

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:16 AM »
It seems like you are asking for something that is geometrically impossible.

If you want width, you either need a sled that wide, or a sled that long, and flip over the side.

If you flip over the side but you don't want to extend the hoops, so that limits the height of the hoops to the width of the sled. If you are want hoops as tall as any of the others, the sled would need to be 5 feet wide.

I think what you are asking for is a sled 3 feet long and 5 feet wide.

All manufacturers would give you a sled 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. That is what I think you will end up with- you just need the biggest 1 man that does not have adjustable poles or hoops.

I think this one is a good possibility- it has a 64 inch long by  30 inch wide sled. 37 lb total weight, no extending poles
https://icerunnerhouses.com/ice-house-escape/

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:37 AM »
I don't mind extending the poles to move. I don't like monkeying with the 2 hubs on the evo 1it. Thats a major pain. Plus the need to put up the wind poles, it's a lot more hassle than regular side flip poles I'm sure.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a legend xl or something similar, but its slim pickings right now. A few for sale in MN, 4-5 hrs away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.