Author Topic: Tips on getting Bob house out of the ice  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Sheepdogz79

• IceShanty Rookie
Tips on getting Bob house out of the ice
« on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Folks this is my first post here on ice shanty and I was curious if anyone has some tips on getting a bob house out of the ice.  My Buddy's and I built our first bob house so we are still learning the tricks.  We had been blocking up the bob house but over the past week with the warm weather and the snow melt our bob house is now 4 inches frozen into the ice.  (We had to ax out enough ice just to open the door this weekend. 

Does anyone have any tips on how we can get the bob house out of the ice?  We spent Saturday chipping away with a ax but we were not successful at getting it out.  Granted we didn't spend all day or a lot of time doing it as we were fishing too.  Is this the only way we will get it out?

Offline luvtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tips on getting Bob house out of the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Keep chipping. a big pry bar from the end might help. I have heard that farm jacks work well. Hot water. But the only thing I have seen work is chipping but I have never had one in this bad from the sounds.

Offline ice malitia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:33 PM »
yup your on the right track....idk how "enviromentally safe" it is but you could throw salt all around the runners to help out. bottle jacks and landscape rods r key just make sure not to ruin your runners. what lakes it on? id be willing to come give you a hand this weekend if need be. in exchage for so fish time in your hole (hot or not) and some cold ones....

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Chainsaws work well for one that's stuck real bad. Cuts ice real fast. Try to get the bar& chain oil out of it first

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:45 PM »
i use a floor jack most of the time .chisel a hole to fit it under a side at a time.make shure you chisel down along the runner i have better luck when it's real cold the ice chips better.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:05 PM »
keep chipping.  use a good chisel around the edges.  you should be able to pry it up. 
TP

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:40 PM »
An ice chisel is better than an axe, you don't get ice in your face with each swing.I use an old $20 floor jack from walmart but go easy or you can seperate the skis or frame from the house.STEADY PRESSURE AND KEEP CHISELING.I always block up at least 4" off the ice. The chainsaw idea is good if its really frozen in ,just angle the bar and just go in to the bottom of the skis .Not all the way through or you'll sink it, partialy. Patience and persistance and you not have to make costly repairs.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Ours was in about 6" on one side and 4" on the other. We chiseled for 2.5 hours. On the 6" side we finally used the auger and drilled down about 7" the length of the shack. After that pry bar here and there to break it free. You want to chisel as much as possible so when you pry you don't break the wood runners. It's a real pain when it gets that bad. Good luck and keep at it. Always good to stay WELL hydrated while your at it. ;)

Capt. Black

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:06 PM »
An ice chisel is better than an axe, you don't get ice in your face with each swing.I use an old $20 floor jack from walmart but go easy or you can seperate the skis or frame from the house.STEADY PRESSURE AND KEEP CHISELING.I always block up at least 4" off the ice. The chainsaw idea is good if its really frozen in ,just angle the bar and just go in to the bottom of the skis .Not all the way through or you'll sink it, partialy. Patience and persistance and you not have to make costly repairs.

x2
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Not sure what you mean by frozen in 4"
Runners?  Floor?  both?
If just runners, wait for a warmer day later in the week and chisel it out slowly.  Put your tip-ups out and fish and take your time throughout the day to get it out without doing damage.

But if you couldn't open the door, it sounds like the floor is frozen in.
If the floor is frozen in, again, wait for warmer weather later in the week when the ice will be melting.  Bring a propane heater out with you, and try to get the inside as warm as you can for the whole day..  Be safe about it.  Let the shack melt out of the ice mostly on its own.

According to weather.com, this Thursday is suppose to be the sunniest warmest day.
If possible, pick this day to do you work.(even if you have to take a day off of work).

Cheers,
NB

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Had to do mine last week,4" deep, lots of chiseling and prying, be careful not to pry to hard you may split your runners.

Offline huntinbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Did mine on Friday and had about the same as you if not more. Took some time and patience. Put the traps out and take your time...

Offline imfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:23 AM »
what pond you on? I might be able to lend a hand if its close, i have been there before

Offline Sheepdogz79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, Sounds like well bring a floor jack ice chisel, chainsaw and a case of beer out this weekend and work at it.  I appreciate the offer for assistance but I think we'll be good.

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Really long pry bar, and a bunch of helping hands. That's how I used to bust mine loose before I bought a portable!  ;)

Offline icefisherman56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:20 AM »
hey what i found out that works the best is to fill it full of gas and watch it burn to the ice.  With a half gallon of whiskry to watch

Offline icefisherman56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Hey sheepdog   Why do you call yourself  sheepdog?  Do you look like a dog   smell like a dog, do you breed sheepdogs?  Well just wondering and if you decide to burn the bobhouse down let me know so i can watch the beautiful fire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.