Author Topic: Ice Loks  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Ice Loks
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Anyone ever use these Ice Loks???
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Ice Loks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Found a set at Cabela's in early summer, marked down from $ 25 to nine $ & change.
Just waitn on a place to try them out.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:01 PM »
They look like they will work

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Anyone ever use these Ice Loks???
(Image removed from quote.)

They look like they are way better than the screw in anchors that i bought to go with my portable.
What a time consuming pain in the butt those are >:(

Are they selling those type anchors that are in the pic in NH anywhere Tumper ?

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2009, 01:47 PM »
I sent you an email James

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Thanks Ron :)

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2009, 03:56 PM »
I sent you an email James

:PTHBBBBBBTTTTTT!! :P  We'd all like to know, as long as it doesn't break the "Advertising Code of Silence" ::) :nono: :unsure: :whistle:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

timberdoodle

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2009, 12:51 AM »
Are you talking about the plastic ones? After reading the reviews I would be a little leary of them. They look like they would be great if they were made of metal.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:29 AM »
   :PTHBBBBBBTTTTTT!! :P  We'd all like to know, as long as it doesn't break the "Advertising Code of Silence" ::) :nono: :unsure: :whistle:

Rockhound, its cabelas that has them.

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:39 PM »
they are ok but more a pain in the butt. I buy large 8 inch eye hooks from home depot and screw them into the ice to hold my ice hut.

The ice locks below you mentioned, I bought a pair 2 years back and stopped using them. I think I still have them in my garage I can give you for free.

They only work well once you have around 12 inches of ice. You want them down atleast 5 or 6 inches or so for them to stick right. If the ice is not that thick and you get water in the hole they can freeze in and make it hard to get out. I will say, once they lock in, they don't go anywhere though.

I have never had a problem with 8 inch eye hooks so I use them and they cost about $1 a piece. 2 of them will hold anything on the ice and they don't crack the ice going in at all nor come out. For the money it cost for those, I would go to home depot. My 2 cents.
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:57 PM »
I use a free variation of that ice anchor, but only in high wind conditions. Tie a piece of 2' piece of rope to a 2"x2" thats wider than the hole you drill. Shove the piece of wood down the hole and perch it under the ice, and tie off your shelter to the rope. If the ice is real thick use the auger to shove it down. The short piece of wood and rope will probably freeze in, just cut the rope.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2009, 04:50 PM »
they are ok but more a pain in the butt. I buy large 8 inch eye hooks from home depot and screw them into the ice to hold my ice hut.

The ice locks below you mentioned, I bought a pair 2 years back and stopped using them. I think I still have them in my garage I can give you for free.

They only work well once you have around 12 inches of ice. You want them down atleast 5 or 6 inches or so for them to stick right. If the ice is not that thick and you get water in the hole they can freeze in and make it hard to get out. I will say, once they lock in, they don't go anywhere though.

I have never had a problem with 8 inch eye hooks so I use them and they cost about $1 a piece. 2 of them will hold anything on the ice and they don't crack the ice going in at all nor come out. For the money it cost for those, I would go to home depot. My 2 cents.

The problem I have found with screwing anything into the ice is that the ice keeps breaking away, last year I got two ice screws into the ice and both of them bent into a u shape when the winds hits the portable. I have seen guys carrying a battery drill and drilling than screwing the eye into the ice but its just another thing to carry out on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.