New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339147 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11070 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Thats cool. Last time they had that out that I knew of was a couple years ago when a guy behind me fell in at the crown ridge.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11071 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:55 PM »

I think it was Bernie that fell through!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11072 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:59 PM »

I think it was Bernie that fell through!!!

Haha best one yet!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11073 on: Jan 25, 2021, 02:07 PM »
 Glad all are safe
Just caught the news , every year this happens somewhere, no picks no spud , or any type of floatation
 Darwin hard at work

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11074 on: Jan 25, 2021, 02:13 PM »
Haha best one yet!
He's on the bottom now

I live back in the woods you see

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11075 on: Jan 25, 2021, 02:27 PM »
He's on the bottom now

Lol thats nice
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11076 on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:38 PM »
I looked at that camera either Saturday or Sunday morning and it was open water
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11077 on: Jan 26, 2021, 03:17 AM »
He's on the bottom now

Hahaha you guys are great.  Fred you should see some of the people that try to ice fish that lake.  Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to kill themselves.  It's not just ice season, I got stuck at the launch while some guy took 35 mins to get his pleasure boat on the trailer.  Water temp 51 and the guy is swimming around the trailer trying to get the boat on straight....

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11078 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:58 AM »
Hahaha you guys are great.  Fred you should see some of the people that try to ice fish that lake.  Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to kill themselves.  It's not just ice season, I got stuck at the launch while some guy took 35 mins to get his pleasure boat on the trailer.  Water temp 51 and the guy is swimming around the trailer trying to get the boat on straight....
I don't know how many times I've said that when I retire I'm gonna go down to the MDB boat launch on a Saturday afternoon with a lawn chair and a six pack and just watch people launch and retrieve boats. Now thats entertainment!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11079 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:03 AM »
Go end of season.  You want the day the lake residents pull their boat the 1x a year.  Magical.  I think there was 10 boats behind me waiting. 

Offline steelesteve1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11080 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:53 AM »
i figure with all the bs threads why not have 1 for the beloved king. 

should be about 2 months till we start to get some king ice.....man i can't wait
ok

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11081 on: Jan 26, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Go end of season.  You want the day the lake residents pull their boat the 1x a year.  Magical.  I think there was 10 boats behind me waiting.
I finally have a boat big enough for the lake and use that launch obsessively in the summer. 2-3 days a week.
Lucky for me the show at the launch is EXTREMELY entertaining still. I may sing a different tune 10 years from now. I almost get off on seeing a line to get out when I roll up. Because I know I'm going to watch someone else come unglued. Some of our hottest smallie action happens right there waiting to get out too. Folks watch us crushing them and sit there mad because they're waiting. We catch fish and watch rich folks break stuff. I'd have starved myself when I was younger if I knew it'd be this much fun. hahaha
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11082 on: Jan 26, 2021, 01:57 PM »
We will need to meet up Jamie.  Do the multiple boat thing.  I wasn't aware of how easy it was to get a "sticker" and went more last year than I ever had.  Always passed inspection too. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11083 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:26 AM »
We will need to meet up Jamie.  Do the multiple boat thing.  I wasn't aware of how easy it was to get a "sticker" and went more last year than I ever had.  Always passed inspection too.
It is quite the racket. I cough up for the empire pass and the Island passport each year. That boat is the worst habit I've ever had man.
I somehow became a bass fisherman, but my youngest kid is obsessed and puts in 14 hour days 3 days a week all summer with me. That was torture for me when I was his age.
I'd be glad to link up with you man. I invested in a motor with spot lock too. I almost cried the first time I used it over a school of smallies. Dad can finally fish!!!

Offline skunkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fur Trapper
« Reply #11084 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:04 PM »
I checked the ice the day that idiot went through in front of Chic's Marina. Only 1" in any of the bays. Lots of open water in main part of the lake. You just can't fix STUPID!
Lookin for woman that owns boat, motor, and can clean fish. Send picture of boat and motor.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11085 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Do u remember when u were brand new? If u werent lucky enough to have someone to show u the ropes , did u try it out on your own? How did you treat it safely? How did you know if you could go out? I remember asking a bunch of questions on this forum about lake trout fishing and where to go and got a whole lot of BS responses from a bunch of good old boys that were too good for my beginner questions. Thanks to a few old timers who passed on the torch , i got wise faster than if i was on my own.

My question is did this guy know what he was doing at all? Was he a skilled fisherman pushing his luck or just an inexperienced soul that may have learned about ice safety the hard way? Maybe he came from
Jersey and drove past schroon and saw 50 ppl on the ice and said hey lets try Lg.  I just think that this dudes actions were horribly ill informed and while he did risk lives of safety personnel, he might not have intended it to unfold like this. Lets be thankful we know better and that it wasnt us , but share some Knowledge to everyone you can.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11086 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:57 PM »
Do u remember when u were brand new? If u werent lucky enough to have someone to show u the ropes , did u try it out on your own? How did you treat it safely? How did you know if you could go out? I remember asking a bunch of questions on this forum about lake trout fishing and where to go and got a whole lot of BS responses from a bunch of good old boys that were too good for my beginner questions. Thanks to a few old timers who passed on the torch , i got wise faster than if i was on my own.

My question is did this guy know what he was doing at all? Was he a skilled fisherman pushing his luck or just an inexperienced soul that may have learned about ice safety the hard way? Maybe he came from
Jersey and drove past schroon and saw 50 ppl on the ice and said hey lets try Lg.  I just think that this dudes actions were horribly ill informed and while he did risk lives of safety personnel, he might not have intended it to unfold like this. Lets be thankful we know better and that it wasnt us , but share some Knowledge to everyone you can.

I tend to agree anyone who has ever fished there and especially the past few seasons knows how dangerous it is . I wondered if he were out of state or non fisherman. None the less lucky to be upright!!

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11087 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:05 PM »
You can't teach someone self preservation....and I've seen people with experience (including myself) do some ridiculously stupid sh*t on the ice.  You live and learn and if someone wants to call you an idiot then so be it.  I've been an idoit, we all have.  No need to come to anyone's defense on that...

I just feel really bad for that guy because 1” of ice isnt even remotely how majority of us roll. Im not proud of it but ive fished on 2-3” out in northwest bay in the middle of the bay. Ill never forget how we fished all day and our tip ups were borderline falling thru the ice as the sun melted the surface and the holes widened as the day went on. Ill never forget stepping onto shore and realizing that ive been puckered up the entire day until now. Anyhoo. Not defending i just feel bad for the guy because he clearly had no F’ing clue what he was doing and people are kicking him to boot. The only person who has any right to demean him is friends and family of the emergency rescue crew. Outside of that check urself. Attempt to not be an idiot. Dont keep doing it.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11088 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:45 PM »
This was a pretty egregious misstep

I hope to fish lg Friday if the ice tells my spud bar its safe.

Spud bar, floatation suit, picks, ropes, friends

Gotta be smart if you're gonna be dumb
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11089 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:58 PM »
You can't teach someone self preservation....and I've seen people with experience (including myself) do some ridiculously stupid sh*t on the ice.  You live and learn and if someone wants to call you an idiot then so be it.  I've been an idoit, we all have.  No need to come to anyone's defense on that...

This.

I did some real dumb Crap when I was younger ice fishing, not anymore. I choose to be safe and cautious, even if it means staying home
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11090 on: Jan 27, 2021, 02:01 PM »
It’s messed up that earlier this year I was In float suit picks and rope with no phone or wallet in my pocket but was only worried about my expensive lx6 and lithium shuttle the things we will do... be safe this weekend for those who venture out

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11091 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:38 PM »
This was a pretty egregious misstep

I hope to fish lg Friday if the ice tells my spud bar its safe.

Spud bar, floatation suit, picks, ropes, friends

Gotta be smart if you're gonna be dumb

Yep....and if they go though and require rescue and survive, revoke their fishing license a few years. Others have to risk THEIR own lives rescuing these people.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11092 on: Jan 27, 2021, 04:43 PM »

Yep....and if they go though and require rescue and survive, revoke their fishing license a few years. Others have to risk THEIR own lives rescuing these people.

Accidents happen and Im willing to bet alot of experienced ice fisherman have fallen through the ice on here. Sh*t happens. So if u fall through a widened hole this year during the thaw and need rescue you would be okay with getting your license revoked? Thats not going to stop people from continuing to fish. People burn their houses down everyday and require fire fighters and first responders. Should you revoke their right to own a house again? Listen, the guy made a poor choice to go out there on the ice. I watched him fall through and made phone calls immediately. Id be fine with everyone having to acquire an ice fishing safety course... kinda like a bow hunting ,trapping or hunter safety course. It could be all electronic and would be good education on ice safety. No ice is 100% safe but preventing dangerous situations and rescues would be very good for newbies or inexperienced fisherman.

Offline H2OFOWLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11093 on: Jan 27, 2021, 06:21 PM »
I was up checking Huddle right as the news crew was filming at the marina on Monday when this happened.  The truck of the guy taking the dip was from Krystal and had a Hadley dump permit on it- local guy.  He spudded out of huddle at least 150yds before veering north just shy of the island- where he busted through.  That ice just froze Sunday AM and was 1/2” at best Sunday pm.  The ice on Monday when I saw his truck was 2” at the very most.  He spudded on unsafe ice and must have tricked himself to thinking it was safe.  A very lucky individual to say the least.  I checked the same ice tonight and it is about 2.75” thick.  Not safe enough by any stretch, especially walking across dueling bubblers to get on.  Stay safe for anyone thinking of going this weekend.  Given temps, it will be safe enough for me and my son next week - hoping midweek

Offline Arenafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11094 on: Jan 28, 2021, 06:59 AM »
How's Harris bay looking?

Fishmon

« Reply #11095 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Be careful!  Snow on ice plus wind in next few days can = a nice polar plunge.  Anyone with experience on LG knows that open water and waves can break up ice in a hurry despite low temperatures.

Offline H2OFOWLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11096 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:37 AM »
How's Harris bay looking?

As of yesterday, wasn’t looking great.  I will report out later today on my lunch time drive.  This bay froze to the islands a couple of times and wind pushed it in.  It actually didn’t skim until after huddle- think about that ice given what happened Monday.  Harris was still mostly open Sunday pm.

Guys were on Warner bay Monday and Tuesday.

Best said- snow and wind aren’t positive factors on any of these bays. Lets hope the cold air helps build it to safe enough levels for everyone to enjoy it safely. 

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11097 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Hey Neil...think about this for a second.  No one is forced to risk their lives.  Your comments can be listed under the garbage civilians say category.  First responders, military personal choose a life of helping others knowing damn well what the risks of the profession are.  It's a choice and a choice all of them selflessly make.  I have never known one to get all butthurt like
you because someone had a bad day and needed their help  They are happy and thankful they saved a life.  They live for it and again I'll repeat its a choice.  Somewhere in this world people like you became emboldened to make comments like this not realizing that those professionals really enjoy saving lives so they made a career of it.  Smh....

I agree. This comment is made on every forum and ice fishing Facebook page out there. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. 1st responders in any form chose their profession and are passionate about doing it. At no point are they getting angry at people because they have to be saved, the only ones getting angry about it are the self ritious folks on the internet.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11098 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:25 AM »
I'll stand forth and fess up. I went in doing the same darn thing this dude did. In the same darn spot. 4 years ago on Valentine's Day (I think).
I left my girlfriend home to go fishing with 1 of her exes. HUGE mistake number one! I safely got on Huddle. Just to end up perch blind and wanting to get north of those islands. I was walking faster than my spud and went in. Thanks to my suit and picks. I got back out so fast that I probably looked like a cartoon. Gear up ladies and gents!!! That dude may have sparred himself cold cajones and a lot of embarrassment had he thrown the right money at the hobby. Let's be glad he got an easy lesson.   

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11099 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:22 PM »
I remember that as well. I'm pretty sure it was below zero that day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.