Author Topic: Nordic Ice Fisherman New To Lake Erie  (Read 970 times)

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nordic Ice Fisherman New To Lake Erie
« on: Nov 21, 2023, 09:30 PM »
Hello fellow ice fishing nutters!

I am an avid ice angler who grew up ice fishing in Sweden, mostly for perch. For the past couple of seasons, I've been targeting white and yellow perch, smallmouth bass. brown trout and lake trout in MA and NH. I'm now about to relocate to Louisville, KY because of work - which lies within driving distance to Port Clinton and Lake Erie. Yeah, okay, it's a bit of a hike but I'll do anything for great ice fishing. I've been doing quite a bit of research on walleye ice fishing on the big lake, and am looking to hit the ice as soon as it's there. This past season, I targeted what for me was a new species - white perch - in Lake Winnipeasaukee. I went hard at it and managed to adapt my European yellow perch technique to white perch with surprising success.  I am excited about the prospect of targeting Walleye specifically on Erie, hoping to draw on past perch and zander experience.

The Port Clinton part of the lake will be the closest for me to drive to. Where are good places to park and launch from? And how far should I be expecting to walk in my search for walleye? I'm expecting to find then in between 25-35ft of water - does that seem realistic?  Any and all pointers, advice and suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Fred

Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nordic Ice Fisherman New To Lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2023, 06:54 PM »
I wouldn't get over excited.....we seldom get "good" ice on erie....at least recently. Might want to plan on dragging a boat up. Best public shots for parking .....Catawba state park near PC and Magee Marsh which used to be Crane Creek State Park 20 mins west of PC. Rest assured if we get good ice you'll need to show up early to get a spot. Good luck!

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2023, 05:54 AM »
If we do get a decent stretch of cold weather Catawba is the first place besides the islands that people start getting out on. We access from the state park and head northwest about a mile to get into mid to upper 20s fow. if people are getting on you'll see a pile of shanty's out there. Most importantly when getting on that early is wind direction and speed, that's where the rescues usually happen when the 911 crack opens up.

After that people start spreading out down towards Port Clinton, camp perry, magee marsh, metzgers marsh. But it's been a while since we've been able to get out that way. Usually start 2 miles out straight north and would work out from there if the fish aren't there.

Guys like to fish big spoons and bigger jigging rapalas with 1-3 full minnows on the treble. I always have good luck with smaller to medium sized spoons and just a minnow head.

Anyway doesn't look good in the near future but we still have plenty of winter left, let's hope for some cold!

Pics are all out of Catawba (1-3ish miles out) from a few trips in the past 5 or so years

Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2024, 12:19 PM »
Thank you both, Hoppy and Quack for the information. Any updates on current conditions, given the cold snap? Cheers
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Chains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2024, 02:09 PM »
Checked the live cam for catawba.  Seen 12 shanties out there . Heard 6 to 7 inches of ice . If your not experienced with lake Erie ice  I wouldn't cross the 911 crack . Haven't got a  report  if there catching  any but I dont think the locals will report.  I'm not bragging but I have 30 years of fishing lake erie ice  and I wont be out tomorrow. 

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:12 AM »
I did not go down either, stuck around home and played on some smaller lakes in Michigan. Sounds like crack blew open. Reports of rescue in progress. Hope everyone gets off safe
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Chains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:37 AM »
I'm watching it on live cam . Looked like 3 air boats and a v bottom boat out helping people.  South west wind is not good. Cracked definitely opened up . Hope their safe and learn a lesson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.