Author Topic: Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28  (Read 13478 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28
« Reply #60 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:52 AM »
please that's why the vexs are the only flasher left in stores right?

Zero here. I bought my FLX28 in October and they were sold out here by November.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #61 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Bought a flx-28

You're going to love it man, enjoy!! Fish the heck out of it and don't look back.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:38 PM »
The only thing I would change on my 28 is I wish I could turn the gain below 0 when fishing under 25' of water instead of going to low power mode because I love the auto setting and the unit has to much power I might try a s cable ?  But this unit is so sensitive that you can tell when you lose even one piece of bait it's crazy sensitive . I got to say its a great and easy to use unit . I can show my clients how to use it once and have no questions come up for the rest of the day
Never to many short poles

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:59 AM »
I just purchased a LX-7 this year and love it.  That being said, if I had a Vex and got comfortable and used to it, that would be a great fit.  I wanted the graph mode and it combined with the zoom is a really nice feature.  I don't believe one is better than the other.  It's all getting used to what you have and want.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:02 PM »
I wonder if I shouldn't have done this search and found this thread! My girlfriend just bought me a LX-7 for Valentine's Day. I got her a small box of chocolates....she gets me a top of the line sonar/flasher/whatever. She's a pharmacist and I'm a social worker - I guess this explains the relativity of our gifts. Anyway, I got my 1st flasher a few years ago, a Marcum VX1 Pro I believe. Love it. Caught all kinds of fish and got many a stiff neck staring at it all day. That being said, I was explaining to her what flashers are and looking at some online. I told her that prices range by a lot and you can spend big bucks for all the bells and whistles. Next thing you know, I get the LX-7. I never owned a Vex so I don't know how to compare.

I haven't used it yet. I am hoping to this weekend. That said, I am getting cold feet about keeping it when I hear about the update issues and quality issues right out of the box. I didn't pay a dime for it but it does leave a bad tastes in your mouth when you drop that kinda cash on something and have to do stuff to get the basic factory installed functions to work. Not encouraging. I like the idea of digital and don't exactly mind an update here and there if it is necessary but it does seem kinda risky as far as things going wrong. One thing that pisses me off right off the bat is they don't give you a USB cable. Sounds minute but I don't have one that will work and 3 stores around me don't have it either. I am thinking - so I have to order cables online, do updates, hope for the best.... and this thing costs ******? I have it all but a day and it hasn't seen the ice once. My girlfriend is saying to give it a chance and don't get wrapped up in the the review stuff. I want to listen to her but I don't want to be stuck with something this expensive when I could have exchanged it for something more reliable, durable, lighter, etc....
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I have the lx7 fished side by side with a friend using the flx28. Both sonars marked fish. But I like the lx7 better. It has the options to put the zoom window next to the flasher display so u aren't splitting the screen like on the vex. It's all personal opinion because like I said they both marked fish and have a digital depth read out. So either one and you will be stoked
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #66 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Had the FLX-28 out for perch in 5-12 FOW this past weekend and it worked excellent!! Better than my bird in the shallows for sure, never had the LX7 that shallow so I cant really comment.

No split screen zoom but at those depths its just not necessary, I was a little worried about shallow water performance but low power mode worked great!! So far I could not be happier, you can basically zero out your gain in LP mode and it made for a very crisp, easy to read screen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.