Author Topic: Hangover Cures  (Read 5874 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Hangover Cures
« on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:47 PM »
Some people say alcohol causes hangovers.  However those of us who have at one time suffered from that accursed condition and who have also, at the same or a different time, experienced the misery of the common cold know a few facts.

1.)  They put alcohol in medicine.
2.)  Medicine makes you feel better.
3.)  Alcohol can't cause hangovers because of 1 & 2 above...

And so, here's a tried and true hangover cure taught to me by my grandpappy who passed, unfortunately before his time, when he went to the back house and the hogs ate him.

The Cure:  First, two footlong chili dogs with mustard and a large chocolate shake.  Then a bracing session with the inhalable refreshment of your choice.  Top everything off with an ice cold 40 and you're good to go.

It won't cure your hangover, but you won't give a hoot...

So, when you're feeling down after a mind bendin' booze jag what's your method to get back in the pink?
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hangover Cures
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Canned chili and hair of the dog

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:19 AM »
More booze. I dont think you can get a hangover if you're still drunk.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:24 AM »
I'm convinced that alcohol does NOT cause hangovers. How do I know this? Because I felt great when I went to bed but lousy when I woke up. So what was the cause? Sleep.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:51 AM »
Its funny in my drinking days i would drink a 5th of bourbon everyday of the week,get up and go to work hanging drywall and never got hangovers.drinking beer tho i would wake up with headaches.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2020, 12:43 PM »
It's not mainly the alcohol, it's the congener's that are present after brewing, fermenting or distilling.  Some people are affected more by beer, others by wine or hard spirits(booze, not ghosts)  I suffer after red wine or hard spirits,  most quality beer or white wine don't bother me.   Best cure, don't drink.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:43 PM »
I'm convinced that alcohol does NOT cause hangovers. How do I know this? Because I felt great when I went to bed but lousy when I woke up. So what was the cause? Sleep.

just don't sleep.  hehehe

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:18 PM »
weed and football.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:48 PM »
I think is a proven fact. :whistle:

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:18 PM »
It's not mainly the alcohol, it's the congener's that are present after brewing, fermenting or distilling.  Some people are affected more by beer, others by wine or hard spirits(booze, not ghosts)  I suffer after red wine or hard spirits,  most quality beer or white wine don't bother me.   Best cure, don't drink.

This is true. I’ve made a few batches of moonshine over the years and the stuff that tests out with the highest proof doesn’t have much of the other junk left it in. Oh, it’ll mess you up big time but the hangovers are not as severe as they are with a similar grain alcohol of a lower proof. So you adapt your ratios if you are using it for mixing. Cut the amount of alcohol you use in half.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:47 PM »
Its not the booze...your ice is bad.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:48 PM »
My best cure is Pepsi for breakfast. Not Coke.  Water the night before bed helps too.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:15 PM »
Bite the bear that bit you

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Its not the booze...your ice is bad.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:52 PM »
dr speckler we have those 2 things in common. lol  started on the jack about 16 18years old. and I started drywall hanging and finishing in 86.

for answers:

drink water before bed.

if you got it bad like want to jump off a cliff bad. take tablespoon of salt and table spoon of baking soda and put it in warm glass of water. do this in the bathroom!  it will come back up like fire hose.  mite take several min. but its coming believe me. and its instant so don't wonder off. lmao  after that you'll feel at least 80% better.

tomato juice n beer good too. 60/40
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:27 PM »
dr speckler we have those 2 things in common. lol  started on the jack about 16 18years old. and I started drywall hanging and finishing in 86.

for answers:

drink water before bed.

if you got it bad like want to jump off a cliff bad. take tablespoon of salt and table spoon of baking soda and put it in warm glass of water. do this in the bathroom!  it will come back up like fire hose.  mite take several min. but its coming believe me. and its instant so don't wonder off. lmao  after that you'll feel at least 80% better.

tomato juice n beer good too. 60/40
drinkin and drywall went hand in hand.until getting up on the stilts!!!lol i hung and finished for 14 years before arthritis kicked in bad.no drywall or drinking for this cat anymore.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:19 AM »
I don't get hangovers now that I don't drink beer or mixed drinks with sugar. I only drink whiskey and water. And not just a splash of water, I make it like a mixed drink. I fill a highball glass with ice, add 2 or 3 fingers of good whiskey- I like Makers Mark- then fill the tall glass with water. I can drink a dozen of these in a night and still feel fine the next day.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:10 AM »
yes its hard on the body.  I started in 86 and still going.  I just do small jobs on my own last 12 years.  body broke but doing what I can to stay off disability. and I try not to get on stilts anymore. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:47 PM »
420.. duh
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2020, 03:33 PM »
I have found through trial and error that no matter what you drink or how much you drink, unless you are still drunk when you get up, you will likely be hungover.  I drink 32 ounces of pedialyte, gatorade, powerade, something along those lines that has some electrolytes and or vitamins...  and take 3 EXCEDRIN.  The key to the Excedrine is that it is not only a pain releiver but has caffeine.  Take them before you go to sleep and wash it down with the vita-water etc...  I was taught this by a old timer that drank a bit more than he should have.  I rarely wake up with a BANGER!  If anything it is just a bit of a reminder that I had a good time!  Try it.  The Wal-Mart Excedrin works just as well as the name brand. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2020, 04:54 PM »
420.. duh

Makes it disappear in an instant.

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2020, 02:53 AM »
If your grandpappy ate a chillidog with mustard, and a forty followed by something to smoke, he had the cure.  Thats the not-so secret potion.  The dairy in the chocolate shake is more like a post bar >pre bed cure.  Sorry to hear about the Hog incident.  He might have been trying to get some bacon which......also great for hangovers.  Just an educated hypothesis.   

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:07 PM »
He went out the way he lived, drunk and full of sh!t...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.