Author Topic: muddy tasting trout  (Read 1958 times)

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
muddy tasting trout
« on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I catch lake trout up at Moosehead every winter, but we never keep them.  We kept one and cooked it once a number of years ago, I think it was filleted and baked.  The fish tasted really muddy, like the smell of a muddy dirty pond bottom.  I've had cusk/burbot and brookies from the same place that tasted fine.  I don't know if that's just what all togue tastes like, or just the Moosehead togue, or if we screwed up prepping them to cook, or what.  Anyone run into this and have a suggestion?
-Matt

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
Re: muddy tasting trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2018, 01:45 AM »
If i keep a laker for eating i always keep the smallest ones and trim off all the fat and the darker looking meat, breaded and pan fried. I would never bake one but thats just me.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:57 PM »
yup we have tons and tons of lakers here in ny.....dont bake them.....brine them and smoke them or grill them

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 11:09 PM »
Probably on a scud or crawfish forage or something and picking up mud as well. Almost all fish/animals acquire the taste of what they eat.. and I've found mud, sticks, rocks, shells, anything and everything inside rainbow trout's stomachs.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline skamaniac1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Soak them in milk for at least an hour and as previously mentioned trim the fat and dark red meat off. Coat with your favorite breading and pan fry.  I also prefer the smaller fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.