The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 347 times)

Offline IcefishMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:40 PM »
New to the site.  Looking to target perch closer to Bozeman / Southwest Montana. 

I have tried Canyon Ferry a couple times.  Thinking I need to do more moving around to find them, but with young kids, I'm a little limited on how much ice I can cover.

Appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, and good luck this season!

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:59 PM »
im from the northwest of the state but i use this site a ton for finding new places, mainly to find structure and find depths i want to look for. i have very good luck up here in 10fow (main lake usually maxs at 30), or at the 20foot mark (main lake 50ish). That being said you can find them deeper 30+ but if you pull them from that depth barotrauma will more then likely kill them all if your not keeping them all anyways. looks like the south end of ferry has some good structure next to deep water to target!

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=Montana+boating+app#7.04/47.194/-111.027
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Bozeman area ponds have great small perch fishing as well as bluegill, bass and trout.  Three Forks ponds are the same.  If you are willing to drive, Nevada Creek Reservoir and the Beavertail Pond by missoula have good populations.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.