The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: JAW JACKER  (Read 13658 times)

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: JAW JACKER
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:07 AM »
I bought Jaw Jackers for light biting salmon, but they don't work to well for the kokanee. they would definitely work better for trout.

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Was sitting at home perusing IceShanty and I swear I heard a JawJacker go off. Made my heart start racing. Those things have got me hooked.

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Ripped down some 1 x yesterday at work...lots of dunnage left from window shipment...on my way this week to get them lip-rippers up and going ...thanks for the idea .....
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline mtnmikemoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Jaw jackers will work well on pike

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:35 PM »
It took some tweaking but I got my jaw hacker set perfectly for a light perch bite. It worked great on Nevada Creek last weekend. I love that thing!
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Got my first pike on a jaw jacker this weekend.  quick strike rig and he was hooked squarely in the corner of the mouth.  Pretty fun running up to a bent over rod with the drag screaming.... :o

Offline gamehog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:49 PM »
SLICKICE this looks great.i am looing at heading to peck in the future and would love to have a few of these made.any info on rod length,steel leader length and so on will be great when you get it all wrote out.this will be a great addition to the fishing gear.

Offline MTFishBoy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Addicted to fishing…& committed to my addiction!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:28 AM »
In regards to badlandspc comment that the JawJacker doesn't work too well for salmon. Check out the JawJacker web page. They specifically target kokanee with these units and seem to do quite well. I just bought one recently to use for kokanee at the Helena Regulating Reservoir. I hope it works better than what you've experienced. Interesting!

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:58 AM »
I caught salmon with it last year at the HRR just make sure to set it for the lightest bite possible.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:45 AM »
Since my fishing trip got snowed out today and I'm done plowing my ranch roads, I'm finally able to respond to requests for providing shop drawings of the "lip-ripper" (as seen above in previous posts).  I drew these up about 10 days ago and they're in two formats . . . 18 x 30 paper and on disk as well.  Paper is too costly to copy and send via USPS.   I'll gladly email the electronic version to "iceheads" providing someone posts them onto this forum for everyone's benefit.  I'm frustrated with photobucket and unable to post these drawings thru their site.  I've been using this design for 3 seasons now and the "lip-ripper" is a fish catching machine and can be built from scrap materials.

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:41 PM »
In regards to badlandspc comment that the JawJacker doesn't work too well for salmon. Check out the JawJacker web page. They specifically target kokanee with these units and seem to do quite well. I just bought one recently to use for kokanee at the Helena Regulating Reservoir. I hope it works better than what you've experienced. Interesting!

I watched the video too and that is why I bought them.  I am sure they would work better if I didn't use an attractor like a Swedish Pimple above my glow hook. the added weight really makes it hard to get the tension right.  Aggressive kokanee bite would also be a plus, but the 10" ones on the Westside of the state bite really light. I have watched kokanee light bite the jawjacker and set it off, but no hook set. I spent a whole day playing with the tension adjustment with zero luck. After that trip, I used a jawjacker for my second rod only and had the tension a little tighter so it wasn't always going off, still didn't work.  It is really a great tool if you use it for a fish that bites and holds on long enough for the hook set. I am going to try it on my second pole with only a little jig and no attractor. I will probably be able to pick up a fish or two that way.

HVR has better size salmon and I hope it works for you, Let me know how they work for you.

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:38 PM »
As requested by slickice (not sure how to post a pdf image so I used snipping tool so a portion may be cut off)

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:35 PM »
....all sold out here...
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:28 AM »
....all sold out here...
Ah !  The OP topic returns.    Well done  BB.   ;)2

This will turn out to be futile, just watch.     :cookoo:

Offline Hard_Ice_Junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:29 AM »
I just made a set of 2 out of scrap 2x4 i had. Only took about 20 mins to make. Going out tommorrow to try them let ya'll kno how i do.

Offline Hard_Ice_Junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Well i had on bit on one and landed it. Ling!!

Offline 1Frozen1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Love the Jawjacker! I got 2 of them last year and I think they work great. Especially when your fishing with more than 2 poles.

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:48 PM »
My JawJackers let me down today. Only caught 5 trout, all over 16". Lat time I caught 12 over 16" ;)

Offline gamehog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:41 PM »
thanks for the measurements slickice.i plan on making a few of these.thanks agian

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:58 PM »
My pleasure.  I've developed a simpler version of the trigger assembly but have yet to try it out.  If it works, I'll ask "buckshot" to post the new drawing for me.  I'm convinced you'll love the "lip-ripper" because it seldom misses a bite. 

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I'd love to see the video.  Not so much for me but for others to see how simple yet effective this concept is.  Slickice.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Looks like it will work great!

Offline ice coach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I want to try one

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Hey "wish2bfishn".  Thanks for posting the video.  One comment though.  Had you simply increased the length of the leader by 2" and placed the eye connection as shown on the drawing, you wouldn't have had to make the unit 4" longer for using a 36" rod.  What you made looks good and certainly works well but next time try the original design with a slightly longer leader.  If you do, you'll see a substantial difference.  The rod will have more travel and the trigger and rod tip will be closer to the ice which helps on windy days.  Good luck fishing.     

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:37 PM »
THaT'S fricken sweet WIWF. Thanks for sharing.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Ion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I have a couple jaw jackers and have had times where the trigger gets frozen. The "rip lipper" doesn't look like it will have that problem. Thanks for the design!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:49 PM »

The "rip lipper" .

You very funny.      :woot: :roflmao:

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I've fished this design in -7 and left several units out overnight @ Nelson w/o a freeze-up on the trigger or mis-fire.  The holes were froze shut, the lip-ripper had fired during the night and when I cleaned out the holes, I iced 3 walleye & 2 northerns.  The fish were dog tired from fighting against the rod all night and were easy to land.  I never used a jaw jacker but I can see how their large plastic trigger assembly could become stiff & brittle if it's really cold. 

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:27 PM »
since no one seems to have jawjackers in stock...guess I'll try making a couple of slickice's rippers and save myself a few bucks ta boot...thanks for the design, it looks lethal.

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:03 PM »
 I went ahead an made a couple 'lip rippers' roughly using Slickice's design. Made totally out of scrape with the only expense a couple pvc elbows for $3. So...$1.50 total cost for each one and about one hour total to make both. I tweaked my version of the triggers to different spring tensions...one is on a hair setting, the other a little harder to set off. But they both work great...now I need to go find some fish.
 And ta think..I was ready to buy a couple Jawjackers for $80 but no one had them in stock. IF these work as well as I think they will..I'll apply the savings to a power auger and save my energy for catching fish not hand drilling holes (getting a little long in the tooth). Slickice, Ya ever get over to Seeley, I owe you a beer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.