The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: where to go?  (Read 740 times)

Offline bazylyzk88

• IceShanty Rookie
where to go?
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Hi Guys. I am from Colorado and I am looking to take an ice fishing tour up north and check out the lakes up there. Can any one tell me where is a good walleye lake and what are the lake condition up there.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Re: where to go?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:21 PM »
You should try using the fishing options on the Montana FWP website. It lists every body of water in Montana and what species are present.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:31 PM »
What are you looking for?  Any particular part of the state?

Offline bazylyzk88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:42 PM »
just like a good walleye and perch and crappie place.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:17 AM »
Fresno might be a place to start, although I don't know anything about the lake and how the fishing has been.  It is located west of Havre.  You can check out the Fresno thread under Montana ice fishing condition and reports.  Tongue River Reservoir might also be another one to look at.  It is 2 or so hours south east of Billings on the Montana/Wyoming border north of Sheridan.  There's my two cents worth. :)  I'm sure there are others.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I moved up here from Colo.  The closest any one of best in the state for multi species is Tongue River Reservoir. It is on the Wyoming Montana line just out of Sheridan, Wyo. But he lake is in Mt. Go to The tongue river res. website, get phone number and call Bob the head ranger( that is who will answer) and he will update you. We are heading there in a few days. We live just north of Billings. Was out fishing today and ran into a guy that said they have been doing really food down there lately. Main species are crappie, perch, pike and bass. also cats and walleye.  Good luck.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:05 PM »
excuse my typing Colo. Just got in from fishing and still thinking jig jig jig instead of spell check. Or at least that is my excuse. Have a safe trip to Mt. and great fishing I hope.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.