Author Topic: Eskimo auger reviews good or bad  (Read 4860 times)

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo auger reviews good or bad
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Eskimo mako reviews good or bad thanks

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
Re: Eskimo auger reviews good or bad
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:41 PM »
I have a Z71 shark 10" and love it. I have had it for about 6 years, and No really big problems with it. It starts on the second pull every time. They have tons of power as well. IMO I would never buy a diffrent brand of auger ever. Also Eskimo augers are taller than a jiffy, and strikemaster, which means you can drill deeper than others before you need your extension. The new hyper coil system they have is pretty sick, check it out on YouTube. Only bad that I can think of is they are a little heavier than other augers.
Tight lines and big fish

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 11:10 PM »
Ok ive read that there is lotsa plastic on them and the recoil is plastic and breaks easily??? Also heard they were hard to get parts for

Offline Collierscc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:01 AM »
I have the Z51.
its a good auger for the money had only one issue with it in the last 4 years and thats a leaking gas tank, we have probably drilled a 1000 holes with it and it keeps starting mine has a aluminum recoil so no problems there, picked it up at peavy mart for $270 (february) which is cheaper than anywhere else i have seen it.
I have had experience using the jiffy auger, it was the 6th time it was used and the recoil broke clean off the motor,if you have the money  I would look at the husqvarna or tanaka brands.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:03 AM »
I bought a Eskimo stingray 5 years ago and it has been nothing but great, starts on the second pull everytime, my father and father inlaw both have jiffys and have had lots of problems with both of them, if something ever happened to my auger i would go straight to another Eskimo

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Big H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:36 AM »
I most say that all augers have there pros and cons.
Some cut faster, some start easier, some are lighter.
I think the key ( in my experience ) is to take care of the unit.
New spark plug and gas every season, quality oil, keep guard on cutting blade(s), let engine warm up before cracking throttle, check for loose bolts/ nuts often(use thread locker), keep it clean, don't just toss it the back of the half ton, secure it down( get a case). I believe giving any unit some TLC will make for a better experience. So whatever your budget allows you should be ok. Besides, most are made over seas and come from the same factory anyway.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I most say that all augers have there pros and cons.
Some cut faster, some start easier, some are lighter.
I think the key ( in my experience ) is to take care of the unit.
New spark plug and gas every season, quality oil, keep guard on cutting blade(s), let engine warm up before cracking throttle, check for loose bolts/ nuts often(use thread locker), keep it clean, don't just toss it the back of the half ton, secure it down( get a case). I believe giving any unit some TLC will make for a better experience. So whatever your budget allows you should be ok. Besides, most are made over seas and come from the same factory anyway.

X2.
I have a jiffy and an Eskimo. Both will run forever if you listen to big h.
Jig on!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Excellent augers. I've used Eskimo for over 25 years. Easy to get parts for and start easily and work well.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:53 PM »
anyone know if there is a place in saskatoon to get Eskimo parts from? I had the the throttle on mine break today.  Looking to get it fixed quick, dont want to have to wait for it to come in from somewhere. Ironic that the same day I post about never having a problem with my auger that I break the throttle on it haha

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:00 PM »
I've had a Mako for the past ten years and never had a problem with it.  The only things I've done is change the blades and center point, the spark plug, and fuel line because it got hard from the ethanol in the gas.  I can't complain about any of that because it's all routine stuff that will have to be done with any auger.  If I was going to get another auger I'd definitely get another Eskimo Mako.  As far as customer service goes I never had any problems with them and they were always nice and helped in any way they could.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:29 AM »
anyone know if there is a place in saskatoon to get Eskimo parts from? I had the the throttle on mine break today.  Looking to get it fixed quick, dont want to have to wait for it to come in from somewhere. Ironic that the same day I post about never having a problem with my auger that I break the throttle on it haha

go to Lamberts

Lambert Distributing Inc
Address: 814 47 St E, Saskatoon, SK S7K 0X4
Phone:(306) 242-0370
Hours: Monday 8:00 am – 5:30 pm

they carry eskimo and all the parts they also do the warranty work as well in saskatoon

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:31 AM »
go to Lamberts

Lambert Distributing Inc
Address: 814 47 St E, Saskatoon, SK S7K 0X4
Phone:(306) 242-0370
Hours: Monday 8:00 am – 5:30 pm

they carry eskimo and all the parts they also do the warranty work as well in saskatoon
thanks!!

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Yetmans in the Peg carry all Eskimo parts and gear.  They are cheaper than Lamberts and will ship the goods to you the same day.  Lamberts takes a few weeks to get parts in.  Just my experience in the past.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:34 PM »
thanks for all the advice. I currently have a jiffy white lightning but ive been thinking about getting something bigger or better.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Jiffy can handle more abuse. 
Like one guy said about care and tlc, all true.  Would be nice to keep carbs dipped in diesel all summer as the diaphragms on ice auger carbs are the cause of most issues.  Most of the other is maintenance other than all the plastic nowadays.  I bought Jiffy because its mostly all metal.  Engine can be a tad finicky but i've worked it out and have no issues. 
Buddy has an eskimo with all the new plastic.  He has jimmy rigged his throttle since it was a year old.  Runs good, but the plastsic throttle really ruins a good machine.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Anyone have problems with the Eskimo caps not venting properly?

Offline TulibeeKing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • <'))><
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:43 PM »
We have a 10inch z71. We have had it for 3 years runs great. Today we drilled our holes and when we were done we noticed the ring at the bottom broke and also a weld broke. Has anyone had this happen to them before?  And does anyone know somewhere in Regina that would be able to weld it tomorrow?  And do you think Eskimo would replace it?

Offline andystepper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:02 PM »
have a z51 and love it.  a little tough to get started when its cold, but choke and a few stiff shots of the good stuff seem to do the trick.  only complaint was that the rubber cord that holds the blade guard on broke in half.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:41 PM »
have a z51 and love it.  a little tough to get started when its cold, but choke and a few stiff shots of the good stuff seem to do the trick.  only complaint was that the rubber cord that holds the blade guard on broke in half.

A few stiff shots of the good stuff?  I presume alcohol or ether? 

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:19 PM »
If it's ether, I can't see that being good for the engine! Unless it's a diesel auger! Lol

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Could the few stiff shots of the good stuff be for the operator to assist a couple more pulls to start it?    :)  My 10" Mako 43 should be here any day from cabelas online sale, so I hope I got a good one.

Can anyone tell me if any of the Jiffy gas caps will work? I see that they have the manual valve caps at Wholesale sports and would like to change it before I develop a problem with leakage. Thanks.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:43 PM »
If it's ether, I can't see that being good for the engine! Unless it's a diesel auger! Lol

What else could it be?  Maybe take the plug out and put in a shot of straight fuel.  MAYBEE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.