Author Topic: Tip down project  (Read 5216 times)

Offline waterfowl_warrior09

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip down project
« on: Jun 16, 2018, 11:55 AM »
So after watching beeler and wyo ice' project , I finally started. Shack is 6'3" square inside, actual footprint is 6'6" square. Shed roof style, peaj on trailer side is 6'10 down to 6'6". Starting to come together pretty good now. Used 1.5x1.5 studs and rafters, 2x4 base with half in ply. Using tin roofing as exterior, seems about lightest I could find and couldn't beat the price(free). Almost everything has been either scrounged up or bartered for been pretty cheap. I'd say all together into I have less than a hundo. Used half in plexi for Windows, made one a pivot window for venting, also gonna leave rafters tails open for venting. Probably will end up adding a few more vents to be sure. Got a hook up on sprayfoam so will end up doing 3" in base (r-31) and about 1.5-2" in walls and lid(about r-21). Didn't get any treated wood because foam we use is waterproof once an inch thick according to NCFI, hopefully is should work out haha. At this point it's just add a few more pieces of tin, paint then attaching it to trailer base. Before foaming I can still move it real easy by hand. I'll keep yas posted, and I welcome all insight criticism s haha. First permy build, always looking for advice!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Tip down project
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Looks great so far , remember to run any electrical system before spray foaming interior of the shanty. Looking forward to more photos as your build moves forward toward completion.
Steve

Offline Modified 55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2018, 08:33 PM »
If I were alittle further north I would build a tip down. Just hate to have something that nice and not be able to have on the ice ever couple of weeks. Keep up the great work.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Looks good! The metal sheeting will make it stiff and the spray foam will keep it warm. I would still glue and screw some corner braces. What are you going to do about taillights? Good for you to get fired up to build a shack in the middle of summer!

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2018, 07:22 PM »
are u adding any shelves or a bench or using portable chairs how about leds for lighting? looks good!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips and kind words!! Kinda nervous about weight closer it gets but last few years have been 20"+(although now that I'm building it'll go downhill). For lighting, the old school in me wants to use the ol Coleman lantern, although I'm still gonna wire in probably 2 LEDs on dimmers and runs for a fan or two. For the taillights I'm using an old set of magnetic lights from my tow truck days, figure I'll just screw them into base to and fro, take off at lake. Beeler; when you say corner braces, you talking like stud to bottom plate/top plate or something else? Starting with a flip down shelf between holes, then more storage high on back wall.  Always liked the idea of those nets from ceiling too, who knows. My idea for seating is a weird one. I want to do small recliners in there lol. It sounds kinda silly, but we want the option to stay late in comfort, something we can nap in or crash out. No kids but we got a dog that's pretty low maintenance, figure instead of cots or flip down beds we could just recline out, dog can sleep by the coffee can stove!!! Sounds good on paper anyways haha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Ok boys made some progress over the rest of summer,ran into quite a bit of hangups/challenges of first build haha. Currently got dropped off today for the foam supposed to get it back Wednesday. I'm not ashamed to admit, definitely have to do some re engineering/math work yet. First big problem I found is way trailer is built,it has one leaf spring on top of axle which seems to make it super tippy. Trip to insulators today was super sketchy in any sort of wind. Consirering changing out with a beefier spring from tractor supply
eliminating  suspension. Next I'm a little concerned with being able to tip it down once weight of foam is on there, not sure if I need to move axle(what I'm considering fulcrum) up a bit for more leverage. I'll add some pics when I get it back from foam. Getting real pumped

Offline Beeler

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Your shanty looks great Warrior 09. I just posted some pic of my shanty and you can see the bracing and how I mounted my tail lights.   

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen,Shack Mahal is home!!!! Just got it home from insulators,real real pumped! I think I def need to upgrade axle and spring,not really sure what to do but it's super sketchy going down the road. We ended up doing about one inch everywhere,it heats up super fast with little buddy heater. Wanted woodstove but prob gonna wait til next year. Foam made it seem smaller but me wife and dog still fit in there with plenty of room to spare. Next moves will be coat rack inside door,hanger for heater  and Vents on all sides. Small cupboard for snacks (wife request), flip down table between holes and I'm gonna make a small box lined with uv strip light to glow buckshots etc. Ordering a switch bank with a double USB, cig lighter and 4 switches. Figure double USB for phones, dimmer switch for main light,switch for hole LEDs,switch for fan, switch for glow box and a spare switch. Plan on wiring aerator for minners into a 12v plug. In a perfect world I wanna make it so the vex type battery's will power everything, fan will be about only thing on all the time. Windows are 1/2" plexi, and they pivot in center to open. And here's the pics!! Enjoy,please feel free with tips,concerns and criticisms thanks dudes!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2018, 03:26 PM »
That spray foam is so nice! It seals everything and make the shanty stiff. Do you mine me asking what the spray foam cost? When I built my Tip Down it cost me 40 cent a square foot for 3/4 inch foam sheets. 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2018, 03:30 PM »
He's texting me with total on Monday, although it probably won't be an accurate price,we worked out a deal to pay for material at cost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Finally got her on the ice! Already have so many things to change over summer haha. I went with LED strip lights,shoulda went with rope lights. Made 2 uv glow cups out of boat cupholders and strip lights, wired the switches into the wall stud on each side. Found a little trucker fan,loud but works awesome. All runs off a tractor battery, need to consolidate wires for sure. Woodstove is the way to go! Mines out of ammo can works real good. Cut and area rug down for carpet seems to work good so far. Fatal flaw: built holes too close to wall for auger inside. Guess a kdrill is a must now! Enjoy the pics!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:17 PM »
The idea is good, simple to set up. How do you manage all the stuff when you travel?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:35 PM »
Thank you for the photos good to see your shanty in use have you caught your first fish in it yet.
Steve

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Looks awesome WW09 !
I'm sure that you will enjoy fishing in something that you created. I know that I have great memories from the planning stage, to the building stage, to the actual fishing out of it.
Thanks again to Beeler for his inspiration for my shanty project.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Mizayikaa

« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Looks like a nice shack. You could drill your holes first then set your shack over them.  Keeps the slush out that way too. Just a thought. Anyway good work.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:50 AM »
Looks like a great shack!  Personally,  I would just make the holes larger so your auger will fit.  Maybe then some custom fishing inserts.  Drill the hole, then place the insulated insert into the space..  unless you need a good reason to drop the coin on a new kDrill that is!

Jason

Offline Beeler

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:45 AM »
Waterfowl, nice job building this Tip Down and I bet you had fun building it! And it won't matter how cold or windy it is when your fishing, you're be nice and toasty inside. Looks Good!  :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.