Author Topic: Helix 7 all season  (Read 1663 times)

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 7 all season
« on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Looking for thoughts on the humminbird ice helix 7. To start what I am asking is more like use on non hard water buying a boat in spring and want a decent electronics.  I have never used what I consider  high end  and I am looking for input on side imaging  or down imaging or just sonar. I have been looking at the helix 7 all season looks like it would be very useful on the ice but off ice it's basic sonar. I have a ice 55 and a fl 18. So what I am asking is do I buy an helix all season or a helix 7 si or di with an ice kit?

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
Re: Helix 7 all season
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Looking for thoughts on the humminbird ice helix 7. To start what I am asking is more like use on non hard water buying a boat in spring and want a decent electronics.  I have never used what I consider  high end  and I am looking for input on side imaging  or down imaging or just sonar. I have been looking at the helix 7 all season looks like it would be very useful on the ice but off ice it's basic sonar. I have a ice 55 and a fl 18. So what I am asking is do I buy an helix all season or a helix 7 si or di with an ice kit?
Last year I bought the helix 7 Gen3 DI and then bought an ice ducer and bag (already had a LiFePO4 battery so didn’t have to buy that)
     It’s AMAZING on open water with the down imaging. Also bought a lake master chip for it. The ice fishing side was nice though I only used it a hand full of times. I fished close to a marcum and vexilar and was able to reject all that noise no problem. I just recently bought an fl18 and flx28 so I’ll see which one will come out on the ice the most, maybe all of them 🤣. In summarizing all this for you, I don’t think you should get the all season one if you’re going to use it for open water as well as ice. Get the DI or the SI and piece the ice ducer and bag. Which by the way, you don’t have to get their ice bag, it is nice but you can shlep something else together. I’m sure others will chime in on that aspect!!!
   God Bless!!!
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Thanks that's kinda what I was thinking and I don't really need another flasher but it looks really cool.  Thanks again

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:49 AM »
No problem. I’ve always been a digital guy. Just testing the waters so to speak  with the mechanical flashers that I just bought.
 I had a gen 1 helix 7 and hated it, there was no interference rejection and it was darn near impossible to get a clear screen so I got rid of that. Had a marcum lx7 that was really nice when it worked. I think it was a lemon, problems right out of the box with cone angles not working and some other issues later. Got them resolved and sold it, didn’t want the headache.  That said, the gen 3 helix 7 DI I have now is awesome. No problems whatsoever so far. You won’t be disappointed.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I believe that's the way I will go, as far as flashers I have vex fl18 and hummingbird ice 55 have had no problems with either unit, both accurate and easy to use  my personal preference the ice 55 big bright screen  compared to vex small screen

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Regarding SI vs. DI, I found that the SI is more for finding the fish while DI is helpful for deciphering structure and fish on that structure. I can cover more water with SI while looking for them than I ever could with DI. Both SI and DI require movement to display properly so neither is an advantage in an ice fishing situation. I chose SI for open water fishing to better help me get on fish.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2019, 04:34 PM »
What everyone else has said. I have the Helix ice 5 g2 gps, I have come up through the years with vex units never went beyond the fl-18. Found the Helix ice for a good price so I got it. Was never really a graph guy on the ice cause the older units I watched on the ice were really slow. Last year I decided I wanted to try something new so I picked up my new unit. I am old and slow now so I sold my big boat and went back to my roots, fishing out of my really old 12’ jon boat. Picked up a TM transducer for open water. Actually now that I have went the way I did I wish I would have went the opposite way. Got a 7 with SI and DI and picked up the ice package. In case you or anybody has a Helix I think 8,9,or 10 that didn’t have the ice package I read that you can download the ice software now. The way I fish now is on lakes I really know and they are small enough and I know the normal patterns of the fish I am after so side and down imagining ain’t that critical. Have not checked out the all season so can’t speak to that unit. Thing I really liked about the Humminbird is I can get all three views, the flasher, graph, and just a view of the water column all on the screen at the same time. If you want it for mostly open water and some ice fishing. Get the open water with SI &DI and get the iceducer
Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2019, 11:56 PM »
I run two Helix 7's on my boat.
One Helix 7 SI G2 at the console and one 7 DI at the bow, I use the 7 SI G2 for ice fishing with a ice transducer, I built mine using a ammo box and purchased a extra
Ram mount ball.
I use the SI to find stucture more then I use it to find fish when water is not froze.

Love it, I wouldn't ice fish if I didn't have a finder.

WINTER IS COMING!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.