Author Topic: Jawjacker rod for pike?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jawjacker rod for pike?
« on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:10 PM »
I’m new to both set-line fishing and pike. I know I’m not going to hook into a monster, but I do expect something bigger than the hammer handles. I’m looking for a pair of dedicated rods to use in the Jawjacker. Would like to stay economical for this set-up (under  $30/ rod), want a reel seat (already have Shimano 500 series reels for this application), and something durable enough for the Jawjacker.

35” XXH Jawjacker
31” MH Jawjacker
30” MH Ugly Stick

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jawjacker rod for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Personally I think the Jawjacker rods are like pool cues and are too heavy at the tip. Lip rippers.The UglyStick MH are too soft at the tip for good hook set. The old UglyStick ice rods were Goldilocks perfect but they changed out their layup and now they are just not right for that application. The other day at Sportsman's Warehouse  I picked up an Eagle Claw Brave Eagle in a 36" Medium and low and behold it had just the action I wanted to dedicate to JawJackers for pike. Fiberglass all the way and just the right amount of snap to drive that hook home. Tough to beat for thrifty also. How about $10.99 per copy?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I went cheap and haven't had and issue yet with an ugly stik. I have two dock runners and no issues hauling in walleyes,pike, and perch. I found 36" is the way to go for jawjackers.
http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-combos-spinning-combos/ugly-stik-dock-runner-spinning-combo/1454371.html
they are built like the old school ugly stiks not the wimpy GX2.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:34 PM »
ugly stick

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:30 PM »
What is a good rod for a bait caster?   I want to try a 28” blue ice trout rod but haven’t seen one locally to put my hands on. 

http://www.bigcountrysportinggoods.com/ht-ibt-28c-ice-blue-trout-rod-28-mh-cast-w-trigger/

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:53 PM »
For about $15 you get the Ugly Stick Dock Runner or the Zebco Dock Demon both in 36" length.  Toss that cheap reel that comes with it.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2019, 12:54 AM »
I like the Eagle Claw "Ice Eagle" rods for this. Cheap as hell and I like the large eyes on them. North 40 carries them..

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2019, 01:32 AM »
Another vote for dock demons or dock runners, just toss the garbage reels that come on them.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:52 PM »
I went cheap and haven't had and issue yet with an ugly stik. I have two dock runners and no issues hauling in walleyes,pike, and perch. I found 36" is the way to go for jawjackers.
http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-combos-spinning-combos/ugly-stik-dock-runner-spinning-combo/1454371.html
they are built like the old school ugly stiks not the wimpy GX2.
What a great tip from Whytie and others on using the UglyStik Dock Runner. They're like $16 for the rod and reel combo and the rod alone is worth more than that so I guess the reel has just negative value. The reel is certainly nothing you've want to depend on for fishing so just throw it away. The rod, though, feels like the UglyStik ice rods of old with plenty of snap to set the hook with a JawJacker and backbone out the wazoo to match up with a hefty Northern.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.