New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chautauqua Lake B.S.  (Read 43530 times)

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
Re: Chautauqua Lake B.S.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:56 AM »
looks good for hitting the ice this sunday  ;D

hit a few limits of big crappie in the boat 4 weeks ago
Hey man i know we talked last year a bit about erie but we definately have to hook up and do some fishing.... give me a pm when your down for it!
" There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, And if you go no one may follow, That path is for your steps alone.  Ripple in still water,When there is no pebble tossed,Nor wind to blow.  You who choose to lead must follow, But if you fall you fall alone, If you stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way then I would take you home."  Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Offline MikeFrabill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I just got back from the south end of the lake this morning. The ice was a little shakey so i fished off the dock. I killed the small perch and crappie!! I think the ice should be more stable by mid next week. I cant wait to get out a little further on the lake, The fish are begging us to catch em!! ;D
"Real men dont need fishfinders"

Offline hunterdeneugene

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:22 PM »
on the way steelhead fishing today noticed there was open water from about Midway all the way up to Chautauqua Point golf course.

Offline iceman7471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Just got back from indoor archery league and was told that there's three inches on the south end??  Also that someone was out on it today fishing?  If in fact there's ice remaining,,,tonights inch of rain followed by cold could really helps us out. 

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:18 PM »
… it’d be nice if that’s what happens, but – it’s predicted to be only hovering around 30’sh tonight at the lake, and raising to 40’sh by noon tomorrow – and more rain … not exactly “ice makin’ weather” …

.. but like everyone, I’m in that “ready GO” mode too …
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #65 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:16 AM »
I know its a little early in the day to tell but how are things holding up down there?  Is there any ice at all in the north basin or is it all from the bridge south? I see the weather for down there gonna make ice tomarrow but are we only gonna be able to fish south of the bridge?
" There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, And if you go no one may follow, That path is for your steps alone.  Ripple in still water,When there is no pebble tossed,Nor wind to blow.  You who choose to lead must follow, But if you fall you fall alone, If you stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way then I would take you home."  Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:34 AM »
Although I fish Chautauqua a great deal in the winter...I always fish the north end of the lake.  Having said that...I do spend a great deal of time in the summer fishing off Cheney Point with my boat.  I was wondering if any of you guys fish Cheney Point in the winter?  I notice that there is that little parking area right there also...is that accessible in the winter...can you park there?

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline ice junkies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you wana catch more fish, go more often
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:56 AM »
we have parked there and walked out many times... best part is nobody else does!

Offline Perch jerker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:26 AM »
With this weather coming up looks like it will be another 2-3 weeks before we get good ice, anybody living in the area please keep us posted thanks.

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #69 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:41 PM »
well guys i know the snow isnt helping  but the temps are.... any word on the ice situation in the lower end of the lake..... cant wait to take the drive this week.... its Crappie Time!!!!!!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:37 PM »
majober I am gonna break down and find some ice this weekend . I have a mustang suit and I am seriously jonesing

Offline icefillet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:18 PM »
guys who fish chautauqua over the last 10 yrs say they should be out next weekend if the weather forecast stays the same i wouldn't think so any comments on this

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:38 AM »
  Hard to say ice fillet. I was able to fish my 3/4 acre pond due east from Chautauqua on 1/5. Had 2 3/4 - 3 1/4 inches of almost clear ice. The fishing sucked I might add. Chaut. was open then. Heading down in the morning, and reports from friends say I should still have ice?? The problem is usually the snowfall insulates the ice, and nothing builds. I`ve had fishible ice in November that was worse in January with loads of single digit days. Just depends on a lot of factors. I`m itching like everybody else to get out on the big lake. The perch fishing is great even though a lot of dinks. I`ve fished silver 4 times, and caught 1 perch, and had 1 good day with sunfish. Chautauqua is consistent with perch even if they are small.

Offline dtrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:44 AM »
guys who fish chautauqua over the last 10 yrs say they should be out next weekend if the weather forecast stays the same i wouldn't think so any comments on this
like dave p said its hard to say. one factor is the wind and how much snow is piling up and where its piling.(and insulating) i fish the north end and until i actually go there and check its hard to make the call. my comfort zone is different than some, and even though i live an hour away i like to check first hand. personally, our crew is still looking at next weekend. like the rest of us im friggen popping out of my skin itchin to go. if i can im gonna scoot down mid week to see how things are looking.

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #74 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:28 AM »
majober I am gonna break down and find some ice this weekend . I have a mustang suit and I am seriously jonesing
I will be searching today and will be walking on water by tonite! Good Luck Man...

Offline hhf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I am Hooks
« Reply #75 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Just a thanks to everyone that keeps us aware of the conditions. I can't believe I joined 6 years ago and posted less than 10 times...It is great to know whats up before I head out on the ice. I'm in Grand Island/Buffalo and Chaut. is the place for consistency!

Can't wait...
Go Ice

Offline hunterdeneugene

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:01 AM »
on my work this morning it was minus 11 degrees on RT 86 @ Strunk Rd, minus 10 on the bridge.  Should be making ice now...

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:50 AM »
-11, wow!  That explains the North End freezing over last night!

Offline rodman55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:42 AM »
-11 Thats good need about a week of that without any wind  ::) thanks for the info.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:06 AM »
If its locked coast to coast wind will not matter much. This week coming up is not exactly the greatest for ice making, but it should be firming up overnight. If it froze last night chances are it doesn't have the foot and a half of snow that  blankets this area which is obviously a good thing . I am still optimistic for fishing the 21 st.  I wont make it to check today , car troubles...

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Yeah it was wide open, North end at least, yesterday afternoon. Then locked up over night. Very little snow on it right now.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Found a willing partner gonna go give burtis a look, if not there we will hit a smaller  pond or maybe cassadaga lake. I need to at least see it for myself.

Offline Dmyerswny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:04 PM »
I saw a guy out on burtis in a shanty yesterday...

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:26 PM »
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/towerclimber/1/show.html

This webcam was just posted in the R&C thread, It is aimed at Burtis Bay.  Good Find!

Bumping this post for those wondering on Burtis.

Offline claylud23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Nice

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Burt and Lakewood are fine with almost 3" as of this evening.  Not sure how the north end is set up.  Planning to check somewhere on the north-west edge after work tmrw.  Wish my boss would honor the death of one of the greatest civil rights activists but what can you do?  If anyone has info on the ice in that area I'd appreciate it.  Marcus, you and your "safety partner" do any good in Burt tonight?  I just had a couple dinks.  Should have hiked out to the rock pile with that other crew.
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:13 PM »
we didnt do well a few dinks. We should have hiked it, but we were not fully prepared . Did not fully expect to find fishable ice. some spots off the path were 2 hits with the spud and through? stayed away from there but I wonder why it was like that . Nice looking 2 1/2"- 3 " clear ice. Kind of wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, but that's how it goes I guess.

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:28 AM »
7 of us from Ohio are headed to Chautauqua Feb. 8-12. Looking for places to stay, fish, buy bait and eat. Any information will help as none of us have ever been there. Would like to find a place that 7 of us can stay together.

Offline joes spot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:43 AM »
try the redwood ranch motel @bemus point they have rooms with kitchens/ bait shop across the bridge

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:32 PM »
try the redwood ranch motel @bemus point they have rooms with kitchens/ bait shop across the bridge

FYI; Redwood Ranch is now called the Bemus Point Lodge, they have a web site as well....
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.