New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Straightline reel decision  (Read 1770 times)

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Straightline reel decision
« on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:00 PM »
What do you think of this reel

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Straightline reel decision
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:06 PM »
Also pairing it with a tuned up custom ultra light  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:07 AM »
i have  no love  for  any of the stright line reels , thats personal opinion...i will  say if you are going to  by  one  DON"T GET THE ONE BY CLAM!!!!  it  it  says  getz on it ...it's junk

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Or eagle claw...I love inline reels for reduced twist but some are definitely junk and will cause more problems than they solve

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:33 AM »
I love my Black Betty.

Works great, even when very cold.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Here's a review from Youtube.

Good things come to those who bait.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:05 AM »
I have one. First off it is small only holds 110 yd. of #2 test. The reel it self looks and feels really nice. The drag for #2 is right at its lowest setting. The only problem I have is the free fall lever is to far forward. The line to the reel spool is touching the lever,which makes it almost impossible to grab the lever without also getting the line. You have to push the line out of the way to grab the lever. Needs a redesign of the lever location.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:41 AM »
Thanks for posting the review video FishDoc. It looks good, but needs improvement.

I'll pass on this version. No drop speed adjustment, bad placement of the release trigger, and with the short travel drag it will be too easy to bump while reeling to make it  go from locked to free-spool, or just right to too tight.

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Thanks everyone might just have to bite the bullet and get the new 13 fishing inline or stick with the 371

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2020, 10:19 AM »
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/hwi-trigger-drop-reel/
Here's a cheaper option you don't hear much about I have the older model without the line guide think it is very comparable to the betty's

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2020, 10:44 AM »
Thanks everyone might just have to bite the bullet and get the new 13 fishing inline or stick with the 371

I have the 371 and although I like fishing with it in the shanty it doesn't work too well outside in below freezing temps (could also be the line I'm using).  I also am not a fan of where the free spool release button is located.  It constantly gets hit during transport and I end up having to deal with a birds nest first time I take it out.
westernmas on the finder

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:35 PM »
I have the 371 and although I like fishing with it in the shanty it doesn't work too well outside in below freezing temps (could also be the line I'm using).  I also am not a fan of where the free spool release button is located.  It constantly gets hit during transport and I end up having to deal with a birds nest first time I take it out.

should have  your  rods in a  case   save  you money in the long run  with  broken  rods

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:39 PM »
should have  your  rods in a  case   save  you money in the long run  with  broken  rods

They are in a soft sided case that gets a little overfilled sometimes so things in a different pockets can push on the knob.  Or they are in a storage tote but still seems to happen on occasion during transport.
westernmas on the finder

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Has anybody found or know of a YouTube video of someone actually fishing with the freefall type inline reels? I would like to see one in action. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:00 PM »
They are in a soft sided case that gets a little overfilled sometimes so things in a different pockets can push on the knob.  Or they are in a storage tote but still seems to happen on occasion during transport.

rhat  sucks  take  a  hair  band  you know like  for  a pony  tail  and  wrap it around  your  reel so it can't  free  spin  even if it  does get bumped ....save  you some  frustration

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:07 PM »
I've never used the '13 so I can't comment but I'm a real fan of the 371. as far as bumping the reel in your travels and getting a birds nest , try this : I take a piece of 1/2 thick foam pad, cut out a little piece about 1 1/2  square    cut a little noch out of it & slide it under the release button . problem solved . carry a few xtra  with your tackle in case you misplace it.  Seems like Frabill would come up with some type of locking system but that is the only problem I've ever had to deal with.  I have 4 of these reels and they all serve me well.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Has anybody found or know of a YouTube video of someone actually fishing with the freefall type inline reels? I would like to see one in action. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Bart,

They work great. The nice thing about a Black Betty is that you click the lever and it falls freely until you turn the handle of the reel.

Not like the others where you have to hold the button down or the line does not fall.

Simple and effective.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Bart,

They work great. The nice thing about a Black Betty is that you click the lever and it falls freely until you turn the handle of the reel.

Not like the others where you have to hold the button down or the line does not fall.

Simple and effective.

I have a Black Betty 6061 I have never been able to get it to free fall, always have to hand feed the line. I have found a few videos with them used and every one, they hand feed the line? I'm baffled?  I have a Clam spooler, love it. I have to hand feed the line but I only use it in shallow water for panfish.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:31 PM »

I have a Black Betty 6061 I have never been able to get it to free fall, always have to hand feed the line. I have found a few videos with them used and every one, they hand feed the line? I'm baffled?  I have a Clam spooler, love it. I have to hand feed the line but I only use it in shallow water for panfish.

Wow. I just don’t understand.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.