New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bait in Rensselaer County  (Read 2211 times)

Offline caddis

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait in Rensselaer County
« on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Heard that that the bait shop in Rensselaer Closed. Any other options in Rensselaer County?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Bait in Rensselaer County
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Check here, you may find something in your area...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154985.0
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2020, 05:06 AM »
Its not in Rensselear County, but Conroy's Bait & Supply is 10 minutes up 787 in Watervliet. Real friendly guy and his bait has always treated me well. He is also one of the few places i know of that carries live crawfish during the open water season.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:09 AM »
I like conroys as well.  Good bait.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:17 AM »
The scarcity of certified bait dealers in Rensselaer County is indeed annoying - - not to say mystifying: I would have assumed there would be more "Mom and Pop" style entrepeneurs eager to fill that niche, but, for whatever reason, there just is not.

Conroy's (which I've been in once, about 4 years ago) is really cool - - like stepping back in time into a 1940's Field and Stream advertisement.

The other thing I remember about them is that, when you buy shiners there, rather than simply dump them in your bucket, they line your bucket with a plastic bag, fill it with water, put the shiners in the bag, and then add compressed air and seal the bag. 

Or, at least they did when I was there.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2020, 02:38 PM »
R&R bait Shop on Burden lake in Averill Park. Just opened up over the summer I believe.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I hate Conroy's  ......  i'm anxious to get fishing and assuming he even comes to the store it takes forever to get in and out of there. Last time i went this summer I literally waited 10 minutes for him in the store and he never bothered to come downstairs.

I do agree his bait seems to be very hardy and lasts a while.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline delta12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Always been OKAY with Conroy's. Been there forever and wonder how much longer.  A real scarcity of shops, especially around Albany itself if heading in any direction other than towards Conroy's.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2020, 04:01 PM »
I hate Conroy's  ......  i'm anxious to get fishing and assuming he even comes to the store it takes forever to get in and out of there. Last time i went this summer I literally waited 10 minutes for him in the store and he never bothered to come downstairs.

I do agree his bait seems to be very hardy and lasts a while.

Ya if you get there first thing it can take a minute...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Ya if you get there first thing it can take a minute...

Well that time was 3 in the afternoon but whatever.  It’s completely useless on a weekend unless you go the day before. I just find him annoying.  It could be me

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2020, 05:00 AM »
Well that time was 3 in the afternoon but whatever.  It’s completely useless on a weekend unless you go the day before. I just find him annoying.  It could be me

Not just you. I forgot about how hit or miss he is sometimes. Thinking back to when i lived in watervliet, there was more than one occasion where he was suppose to be open and just never came to the door/ wasnt there.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Not just you. I forgot about how hit or miss he is sometimes. Thinking back to when i lived in watervliet, there was more than one occasion where he was suppose to be open and just never came to the door/ wasnt there.

It's been that way for 20 plus years. It's a last resort for me. If I'm going north I'll hit Crossroads or Fish 307.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2020, 10:14 AM »
It's been that way for 20 plus years. It's a last resort for me. If I'm going north I'll hit Crossroads or Fish 307.

Same here, thankfully im up in Saratoga now so i have a lot of options within 25-30 minutes from me now. Only head to ol' Conroy's if im targeting smallies in the mohawk/ hudson river area down there and need crawdads

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2020, 03:09 PM »
It's you ship . .  ;D . . I've been going there 45+ years. . No problems. .had issues with the store in Rensselaer. . He was always complaining about not making money. . Guys there to early. . Etc. Mike or Ma always treated me great. .if it took a while for him or her to come down he always made up for it with extra bait or turn me on to new spots. .  ::)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2020, 05:28 AM »
It's you ship . .  ;D . . I've been going there 45+ years. . No problems. .had issues with the store in Rensselaer. . He was always complaining about not making money. . Guys there to early. . Etc. Mike or Ma always treated me great. .if it took a while for him or her to come down he always made up for it with extra bait or turn me on to new spots. .  ::)

It certainly could be. I’m a customer service nut so poor service turns me right off. And it’s completely unacceptable if it eats into my fishing time😎

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:33 AM »
There is Flying Arrow in Rensselaer/East Greenbush also.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Mike, at Conroy's does something I have never seen anywhere else in my 60 some odd years of fishing. For the additional cost of $1.00, he will put your bait in an oxygen bag. This keeps them alive and fresh for several days. No areator needed. No batteries, no muss, no fuss. I love this when I am going a long distance to fish. Easy, cheap and I don't have to go looking for bait when I get to that far away lake.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2020, 10:47 AM »
That's Fordmans backyard he knows it all.
Mr.Esox

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2020, 05:43 PM »
 Im not positive if he will be open in 2021 but big T next to the tomhannock reservoir in Pittstown has been very reliable for the past decade or so. Keep in mind that he doesn’t open until January 1 to coincide with the reservoir being the same opening day.

Offline Gbreen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Try Averill Park Outfitters on43 great spot on the web

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Big T is closed. went to R&R on 1st burden lake today, no complaints. also heard very good things on averill park outfitters on Rt43 near Alps. not sure if shooters in Valatie has bait yet. and flying arrow. considering how crappy weather has been in recent years lucky to have anyone close by!

Offline mcdonata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Flying Arrow Sports off Route 9 and 20 outside Rensselaer. Good bait, hardy. Bait comes in Thursday’s

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.