New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake access  (Read 1929 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Lake access
« on: Oct 31, 2020, 05:17 AM »
General question - Unoccupied secondary home in NY ok to cut through the property to access or local, county, state cop going to act? It's never an issue in VT  presuming not posted and not blocking road etc.

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake access
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2020, 09:08 AM »
I would go by property in the summer and ask for there permission. I think that in my opinion is the only ethical way as a sportsman. and make sure you  leave with what you  brought

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2020, 09:24 AM »

Posted or not I always ask for permission

Online wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Definitely get permission first, it's the right thing to do  ;)2

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2020, 02:14 PM »
it is tresspassing.....no wiggle room....why if somebody is not at camp, what it becomes a public access at your convenience.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2020, 04:15 PM »
I owned a nice 3 bed, 2 bath camp 5 years on Lake Seymour one of VT most popular trout lakes. I arrived more than once to find gents who cut through to fish. If I cared I would have posted. It's that simple. If you use camp for 10 weeks, don't post, I understand it's trespassing. I get it although my perspective may differ.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2020, 05:36 PM »

X2!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2020, 05:26 AM »

X3

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:17 PM »
back in the mid 80's i use to ice fish Seymour (was a carpenter in VT) they use to plow roads all over that lake from the boat launch.  You never had to cut through anyone's property you drove your truck to where you wanted to fish.

Here in NY you better ask permission first.  If its good access they probably have a trail cam and DEC will send you the trespassing fine in the mail
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline njsfishon16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:51 AM »
Always get permission 1st.  There are cameras everywhere these days.  I live here year round, but other members of our homeowners' association that don't live here have cameras linked to the internet monitoring the lake access and the parking lot.  If they see anyone park there that they don't know, I get a call.  Also I have friends down the lake, that have found their driveways blocked by ice fishermen's vehicles as they went out  to go to work.  That's a sure way to get your car towed and a conversation with the sheriff deputies or the state police.
Also if you had permission to cross properties in previous years, ask the owner again.  The housing market is so hot that houses are being sold within 2 days of listing, and usually 20-40% over asking price.  You may find that it is no longer owned by the person that gave you permission last year.
Tight Lines!

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:09 AM »
It sounds like you are implying that "second homes" are of lesser value than primary residences.  A true sportsman weather it hunting or fishing respects others property as you would wish to have yours respected.  If you are an avid ice fisherman you should have access set up long before the ice comes. Just my 2 cents.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:00 AM »
Heck no, but the point about property turnover, cameras, ok won't consider cutting through. VT law considers unposted land ok to cut though. NY very different an that was the reason behind the post. For instance you do not need to get permission to hunt non-posted land.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2020, 09:49 AM »

Heck no, but the point about property turnover, cameras, ok won't consider cutting through. VT law considers unposted land ok to cut though. NY very different an that was the reason behind the post. For instance you do not need to get permission to hunt non-posted land. Again, I owned lakefront and did not mine people fishing on or crossing my property....different mindset in rural America. I grew up in another state and prior to moving 35 yrs ago always asked permission did not know about rural NY.

Offline Bosco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:57 PM »
I had a buddy take me up to Spice Bay in the islands a number of years ago. I didn't know it but he had planned to just pull down a private drive of seasonal places, pick a place to park, and cut across private property. It never set well with me. We caught 11 pike which was really good for one of my first times on the ice. But I haven't gone back because I call it trespassing. Whether anyone else ever knew or cared, I did. So that's that. There's a lot of places I'd LOVE to access the ice on the down low, especially because I don't have a machine, but I'll only ever access ice from public property or private with clear and expressed permission.....and hoof it!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:53 PM »
in new  york it will get you a trespassing  ticket   or  worse ......  be a man  and  knock on a  door  ......if you can't  do that you shouldn't  even be  fishing ,your  not a sportsman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.