Author Topic: Puzzling results  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
Puzzling results
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I posted something similar in the pike section but this is a specific example.

I spent last year looking for a walleye spot on a lake. After several outings I found the spot I was looking for. Set up tipups with flouro leaders and live shiners late afternoon. sure enough at dusk a flag fires and I pull up a nice fat 18" walleye. No other flags but was happy the spot paid off.

Here's the puzzle. It was a shallow hump with one of the only weed areas of the lake. I fished it three more times. Every time ONE flag producing one keeper walleye only. I had 6 tip ups with my buddy. They fired in a different spot each time but there was always another tip up within 5 yards of the one that caught and we always re-baited and set back immediately.

So I achieved consistent results but not great results. Not sure why it was always only one. I'm not sure if I should go back to the area this year. Any thoughts?

I've had similar issues with pike. I can't seem to get more than one fish an outing (other than dinky pan fish) Even when I find a school of bluegill I'll get one decent and then nothing. Same rigs. It's a bit frustrating.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Puzzling results
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:19 PM »
How long did you fish the area? Did you try jigging the area after the bites? I use my tip ups to tell me when the walleye are in an area then I go in and start jigging with raps and spoons and the graph tells me what lives in the area.

I would think a spot would reload but most of the time the fish are moving shallower as it gets darker so possible the schools has moved by.

What type of body of water is it and size?
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:47 AM »
These are small to medium size inland lakes in Northern michigan. I know there are a ton of variables...it just seems odd to me. Hopefully this year I get it all figured out.

Mostly just looking to vent I guess. :)

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:35 PM »
 I have had that happen to me I believe that it's noise on the ice walking to the flags rebaiting etc. I have gone to same spots stayed in my icehouse on following evenings, no light other than vex , no walking , no noise, no movement just jigging & caught more than one walleye. During that feeding time / migration I think they are very keen & spook really easily. No lights , no noise is key

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:48 AM »
i think ramp makes a great point.  i have noticed this happen in ponds. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:56 AM »
All I can think of, is pike don't school , they will all be attracted to similar structure and whatnot so where there is one there will most likely be others in the vicinity, but that might mean out of sight of your presentation.  Although walleye do school, I have read that they spread out quite a bit, so similarly to pike, there are most likely others in the area, just not right at that hole.  Neither of these fish are like small bass which seem to come barreling through in larger schools, out of that school your going to have a certain percentage that are hungry and you're going to get a few flags in the area.  Some people might tell you to be happy you're getting ONE flag during a day of pike fishing, lol.  I'm not sold on the idea of no noise , etc. (when fishing pike or bass, I'm not too familiar with walleye)  I've had some of my most productive days during derby's and on large lakes where trucks, quads, sleds and everything else under the sun were whizzing by and I've had horrible days where it was just me and one other person in sight sitting quietly 1/4 mile away from our traps.  Also a lot of hits seem to come as you are checking and moving bait around.  I just think if your in the right area and fish are hungry and you have the right presentation they will bite, if not, they won't.  To each their own...   I have no scientific proof of anything, just letting you know my own experiences.  Good luck this year..
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Capt. j-rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:33 PM »
I use nils augers. I have a 3.5 and an 8"... We scout with the 3.5 in a cordless drill and then dial in on the marks with the 8". 100 holes? nope. 2-3 guys, tip ups, 30 holes is common. Gasser comes out when the ice goes over 8-10" and the quad comes out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.