Author Topic: Tip down line  (Read 2027 times)

Offline jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip down line
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Has anyone tried using regular braid line like power pro etc. for tip downs ?

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Tip down line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:58 AM »
Jmw5964 my experience is most people use the hand over hand method to land a fish when using tip downs. Power pro and other braided lines will cut your skin if the fish makes a run while line is in your hand/fingers. Also if line gets wrapped around your hand/fingers and the fish runs braided line will cut into your skin. If you feel comfortable playing the fish while wearing gloves with leather palms/fingers give braided line a try and see how you like it's performance. The tip downs I'm familiar with use Schooley reels on the rod so don't think you would gain that much line using the braid.
Steve

Offline Zachery80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:04 AM »
I agree with Mr. Clean. The diameter on your tip up line is much thicker than that of regular braided fishing line.  If you are not worried about the line cutting into your fingers when you are having a fight with a fish than you dont need to worry about using regular braid. If you want to have more line maybe try to change your spools for a bigger one to add more line.

Offline OneShotOneKill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:51 PM »
You really don't want to use braid for 2 main reasons-

1- Like the other guys said it will cut into your hands extremely easily
2- It's really not cost effective, braid is expensive and you can get better options for half the price

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-Magibraid-TournamentGrade-Dacron-Trolling-Fishing-Line-300-Meter-Spools/product/20099/

I use dacron- you can get 300 meters for the same amount you would spend on 150yds of braid. The line is also thicker so its much easier to handle with gloves or cold hands- it also doesn't freeze to the surface of the ice like mono/braid can sometimes while you are dealing with your fish after you pull him through.

I do use braid on my jigging rod with a flouro leader- but thats because im rarely handling my main line on my rod, and the added sensitivity is a bonus when detecting light bites/setting the hook in 40+ FOW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.