Author Topic: Frozen or Thawed?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Frozen or Thawed?
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:53 PM »
When fishing dead baits for pike, do you guys put the bait down frozen (or partially frozen) or do you thaw them in water first? Anyone ever notice a difference between the two in terms of bites/drops??
EYECONICFISHING

Tinker

Re: Frozen or Thawed?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:52 AM »
I haven't fished much frozen smelt in years but when I did I always put 3 or 4 in the hole frozen, not on a hook just in the hole.  They should float when frozen, the water temp of just over 32 degrees will thaw them in a little while.  I don't remember how long but 15-20 minutes should do it.  They will build a thick layer of ice on the outside and still float as ice floats.  When you need to bait a hook take one out of the water and gently bend and the ice will fall right off leaving you with a  thawed smelt that will now sink so make sure its on a hook before putting back in the hole this time.  I used to fish pike with tip ups in my youth but don't really have them near where I now live.  frozen they tend to float thawed they don't so when thawed it hangs and looks like a live fish normally would.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Frozen or Thawed?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Thawed out seems to work better for me. I always give my dead bait a squeeze to help get the juices flowing !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.