Author Topic: fishing for burbot  (Read 1385 times)

Offline wannabebrookiebasher

• IceShanty Rookie
fishing for burbot
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:20 AM »
we were thinking of giving burbot fishing a shot at one of the local lakes and would like to know more about fishing burbot ,as in hook size, what to use for bait, depth too fish etc....any info would be appreciated
thanks

Offline fishinchiro307

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing for burbot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:26 AM »
We always go in the evening til about midnight, we use glow tube jigs between 3"-5" various colors of glow tipped with some sucker meat. Find an area that has some good rocks or shale close to shore (they love crayfish) that is shallow with a slow break from 25' up to 3' then put the bait about 6" to 1' off the bottom. If you're jigging bounce it off the bottom then bring it back up. 

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Good advice.

In bc though, you can't jig with pieces of fish.  You can use it on a set line though

Just put on something else that is fishy or stinky

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:20 PM »
i think that burbout would be fun.
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline IceDrisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:55 AM »
I would also add that every lake is different. Some lakes you need to fish really deep like 90 feet and then others less than 20 feet. Some lakes they are very aggressive predators and will take spoons jigged without bait, at other lakes they seem to be more like scavengers and just want bait presented slowly or not moving at all. Seems to depend on what kind of fish they are eating. In the kokanee lakes spoons seem to work better.

I would also add that they are a 'here today gone tomorrow' kind of fish. You can catch 4 one day at a spot and you think you have found a great burbot hole, and then you go back to that same spot and get skunked 3 times in a row! Can be very frustrating. Also at some lakes they seem to congregate and you can sit in one spot and fish, but at most of the lakes I have been successful at you need to move around and cover water.

Also - try new lakes! Almost all of the medium to large lakes around PG have ling. You will probably do far better to explore and find your own ling spot than you will to go to Eaglet or Norman or one of the other heavily fished ling lakes. Lots of guys on here don't like to admit it, but ling are very sensitive to over fishing and some of the lakes that used to be good suck now.

Good luck out there!

Offline IceDrisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Had a great night last night with 9 burbot caught between the two of us, biggest about 5 lbs. To put that into perspective - went to the same spot last Thursday night and got skunked! That's burbot fishing to a tee.

I think they are starting to spawn in some of the lakes now though, so if you do find them you should get a bunch.  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.