New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Saratoga Lake  (Read 20798 times)

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saratoga Lake has some ice on her
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:34 AM »
We just had a customer at Saratoga Tackle & Archery who was out on Saratoga Lake at Fitch rd at Noon Friday.  He reported 2 - 2 1/2 inches of ice.

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saratoga Lake
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:37 AM »
An update to my last message - someone was in today and tested the same area at noon Friday.  They found 2 - 2 1/2 inches of ice.

dwayne

« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:43 AM »
An update to my last message - someone was in today and tested the same area at noon Friday.  They found 2 - 2 1/2 inches of ice.

That is hard to beleive it gained an inch and a half in a day.  Looks like you may need a third opinion out there.   :o

That is always the hard thing about people's ice measurements.  Most of them measure ice like they do fish or like how they weigh deer....totally guessing and usually guessing way off....

Offline Deposit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm ready for some ice now!!!
Re: Saratoga/Saratoga
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:06 PM »
I hope it holds with this winds thats comming  ???
"How like fish we are: ready, nay eager, to seize upon whatever new thing some wind of circumstance shakes down upon the river of time! And how we rue our haste, finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook"

Offline fishskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saratoga Lake has some ice on her
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:57 PM »
 :) Evenin all. The lake is definatly lockin up. As I said I would I went over to check out cassauna and there pushin 3 inches. I would definately be carefull although i'm sure you all are. I may give both lakes a go this sunday.Tomorrow seems alittle breezy. I'm lookin forward to hookin up with my ice friends and once again live what will be our summer stories. Good luck to all and i'll see you on the ice.

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:26 PM »
 Glad to hear she's locking up. The wind down hear in Albany was pretty strong today. How about up there? any chance of 'toga ice crumbling if the wind is up there? ??? >:(

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:48 PM »
  any chance of 'toga ice crumbling if the wind is up there? ??? >:(

I'm sure it will rip up a big area by the kaydeross creek just like last year, the bay over at fitch should be safe  :tipup:

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:27 AM »

My brother just called me at 8am and said there was a guy about two hundred
  yards out from fitch road fishing on the lake. I know there can't be over 2"
  of ice out there. i hope this guy must weigh 50lbs or less or he is pure CRAZY
   this is a dangerous situation
I Live To Fish

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:55 AM »
We heard there was someone out also but another of our customers did a check again and only about 2 inches so don't recommend going out yet.

camo_fish

« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:52 PM »
To set the "current" record straight on Toga, I just got back from there and did a drive by of the east shore and drilled holes in Fish Creek off the launch area and there's slighty less than 2".   
:thumbsup: sweet, your holes must be the holes that I walked out to this afternoon.  ;D They were slightly iced over, I popped the holes open with my hand and it is a nice black ice. I walk out to the 2nd hole and the wife is yelling at me from the car, get back here, you don't want to fall thru and get wet. I just waved my hand and said, monkey see, monkey do. I was checking the ice, see someone else had already been here, it is just fine.  ;D

Thanks slipbob for making the drive and popping a few looky see holes.  :clap:

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:59 PM »
The lakes in Madison Co. are just about the same...a few have 3 inches.
Thank God for the strong winds. It has blown most of the snow off!!!

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:52 PM »
i was at fitch road at 4:00 pm today as 2 young boys went out.he was checking holes he put in in  the morning.at 75 feet out he took 3 turns of the auger to go thru.i yelled out to him and he said 2.5-3".i said good luck.

Offline rbud3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:07 PM »
DROVE AROUND TODAY INSTEAD OF FISHING!
Round lake , no one on it, just someone looking.
Saratoga- Looked so grey.
Very wind blown.
Went to the launch- I saw a truck with no one in it,and nobody on the ice.
I thought , Jesus!
But didnt see , any spot where anyone went thru- But dont know where he/she was.
Anyway , the ice looked pretty bad, 2" tops with open water , alot near the bridge.
Looking to the right I even seen some spot's ,that didnt look solid , but liquid!
It is very cold - next week?
The ice doesnt seem to be setting too good. ??? ???

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:17 AM »

[/quote Checked Fitch road today four inches of ice there now
 there was a couple of guys fishing around eight am but they were gone
 when i got there I will be there tommorow morning for sure There should be
 five inches or more tommorow.I was a hundred yards out there today(Image removed from quote.)
I Live To Fish

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:31 AM »
I Live To Fish

Offline fishskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2007, 01:20 PM »
 8)    Went out today with a couple of good friends and my boy. We were sportin 3.25 inches of ice we fished for about 4 hours. My friends were out since sun-up. If you go out just be careful.There was some spidering but at the same time the lake was making ice.You'll get the normal hebei gebei's the first couple of crack and pop's but you'll soon get over it. You all know what i'm saying.Unfortunatly I didn't catch anything but I had a great time trying.It sure beats sitting home and watching fishing on t.v. Tis the time guy's so get out while you can. I surely would not suggest 4 wheelers.The ice is solid.And if your headed out the first time this year I would do it while it is light.My son and I both wore life vests for a little extra confidence. Good luck

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2007, 05:12 PM »
8)    Went out today with a couple of good friends and my boy. We were sportin 3.25 inches of ice we fished for about 4 hours. My friends were out since sun-up. If you go out just be careful.There was some spidering but at the same time the lake was making ice.You'll get the normal hebei gebei's the first couple of crack and pop's but you'll soon get over it. You all know what i'm saying.Unfortunatly I didn't catch anything but I had a great time trying.It sure beats sitting home and watching fishing on t.v. Tis the time guy's so get out while you can. I surely would not suggest 4 wheelers.The ice is solid.And if your headed out the first time this year I would do it while it is light.My son and I both wore life vests for a little extra confidence. Good luck
I saw where you fished out there seen the holes you cut out there But i only went out about half as far as you did But tommorow i'll be way out there in 20ft water
There should be 5"+ by morning ? gonna give it a try
I Live To Fish

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Excellent report Icecycle Eddie, thanks for the info  :tipup:

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:24 PM »
hey thanks guys for the reports maybee enough ice out there this weekend for the shanty?
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:59 AM »
hey thanks guys for the reports maybee enough ice out there this weekend for the shanty?

I think you'd be pushing it for putting "The Rusty Nail" out next weekend.  We don't want any repeats of last year now do we.  Not sure if "The Lily Pad" will even see the ice this season.  That's a lot of work for such a short season.  We'll just have to see how fast and firm the ice sets up.

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2007, 01:04 PM »

Finally Got out Fishing  Fitch road/saratoga lake eight am i was the only one
 out there by nine seven to ten more people came out to fish. There was four
 and a half inches of black ice on most of the lake. the bite was very slow though
 talked to a few guys on the way in nobody was having any luck
  i'll be back tuesday to try again.
I Live To Fish

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2007, 01:10 PM »
WTG Eddie, you're keeping the dream alive for us weekday workin guys.  ;D   Did you bring out your 4 wheeler yet?  It should be good by the weekend to ride around Toga on the quads :tipup: 

Maybe Saturday with Iceenut?? Or at your secret spot if you don't mind me stealing it ;).

Robb :tipup:

Offline rbud3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2007, 01:22 PM »
9 guy's on the lake off of Fitch rd
Still a tad early for my 245#'s ;D ;D

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Any tips for fishing saratoga for the first time on where to go?

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Love the photos Eddie. Not only do we get a good report, we get the "Eddie Cam"

The Marb and I might just be out there this weekend chasing those snot rockets.

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:07 PM »
I know what you mean about the spot stealers, bring them there once and they bring 20 of their wanna be's when they promised an oath of silence ::). The only good thing is even though they know where to go doesn't mean they know how to catch anything ;).

Robb :tipup:

I know what you guys are saying. I've lost some mighty fine trout spots to "friends sworn to silence" Now,  I take my own advice that I give my folks at work "When in doubt say nothing." 

Offline Dr Juice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sweeeet
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:23 PM »
Nice Pics Eddie. The hard water should be just about right for Dr Juice this weekend.   8)

Fresh Ice, Fresh Air and Fresh Fish. It doesn't get any better than this. :-)

Offline fishskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Quailman2 if you want to go on the lake for the first time my suggestion is fitch RD. head out about 200+ yards and work there. early morning seems best for the pan fish around 8ish. All in all bounce around and try diffrent things. Every one has there little special things they work. I always do good jigging with rap's and swedish pimples tipped with grubs.Be very careful if you head to the south end because there is alot of springs and if your not with an experianced sara fisher than it can get dangerous fast.The lake is really good right now but I still suggest cation. The weather looks like an ice maker this week.So good luck

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Well my 260lbs was 1000 yards off of fitch road and plenty safe enough,Should have snowmobiles by the weekend!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Quailman2 if you want to go on the lake for the first time my suggestion is fitch RD. head out about 200+ yards and work there. early morning seems best for the pan fish around 8ish. All in all bounce around and try diffrent things. Every one has there little special things they work. I always do good jigging with rap's and swedish pimples tipped with grubs.Be very careful if you head to the south end because there is alot of springs and if your not with an experianced sara fisher than it can get dangerous fast.The lake is really good right now but I still suggest cation. The weather looks like an ice maker this week.So good luck
Fishskinner thankyou for you reply. I will be up this weekend. Iam looking for some eyes ,thats what I am after so I will have a plether of things. Also looking for perch. larger rapalas for the walleyes. And off fitch road I can catch walleyes and perch. thankyou

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.