New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern Challenge 2017  (Read 13723 times)

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern Challenge 2017
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:46 PM »
There is usually a bait shop guy selling them outta his truck on lake when you get on
Bait will be available on the shore again but from a different dealer.  Matt's wife from the Blue Line Sport Shop is pregnant and due any time so he is not coming.
mike

Offline Davek1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:38 AM »
how we looking for ice

any slush?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #62 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:43 AM »
how we looking for ice

any slush?

Ha Ha - did the sun rise this AM?

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:14 AM »
been told little to no slush with roughly 6" of snow and 12+" of ice. I would bet it may get a little slushy when 800-900 people start drilling their 7 holes apiece......

Offline Davek1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:06 AM »
sweet heading up tommorow

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:57 PM »
been told little to no slush with roughly 6" of snow and 12+" of ice. I would bet it may get a little slushy when 800-900 people start drilling their 7 holes apiece......
Checked today....almost perfect conditions right now.  A little snow on the ice so it is not too slippery, no slush where I checked and about 8"to 12" of ice.  Should be a good week-end barring any unforeseen problems!
mike

Offline Miller52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Is there an age restriction or can kids be entered too?

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Is there an age restriction or can kids be entered too?
No age restriction.  Kids pay same as adults and have the same chance of winning any prize, including 4 wheelers.
mike

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Will be my first time for this derby.   Do you have Porta potty, is there any food vendors.  And how is parking if come up Friday thanks
Just enjoying life

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #69 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:25 AM »
There are porta potty at the boat launch along with vendors for food. They have plenty of parking. There is a big lot behind the club house.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #70 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:18 AM »
There are porta potty at the boat launch along with vendors for food. They have plenty of parking. There is a big lot behind the club house.

Thank you.   
Just enjoying life

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #71 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:49 AM »
This might already be answered but what's the payout or prizes for 1st threw 3rd say? I know it has to do with turn out , but more info would be nice.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:53 AM »
$800/hr 500 for 1st, 200 for 2nd and 100 for 3rd based on 1000 entries otherwise 80%

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #73 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Thanks !!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Helmets on ATVs? How concerned should I be with DEC checking on this? Anyone have any issues in the past at this tourney? I fished the tourney last two years, saw people without helmets on ATVs and snowmobiles.

A few years back, DEC and troopers were at the launch, ticketing everything they could. They left around 2pm. I asked why they left so early. I was told they ran out of tickets. Hundreds of tickets were handed out. I saw one guy get thirty. He was pulling a large sled with his 4 wheeler. Rope hitch, 10 people on it, no helmets, no lic. plate, no reg., no ins. card, excessive speed, no fishing lic., no bait receipt, SMOKING A JOINT while operating a motor vehicle and the guy was obnoxious to the cops. They threatened to arrest him. He calmed down. He paid dearly.

About 5 years ago, DEC went from fisherman to fisherman, checking fishing. lic. and bait receipts. Moral: Be sure all of your ducks are in a row, because you never know what the DEC and Troopers are looking for.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:04 AM »
A few years back, DEC and troopers were at the launch, ticketing everything they could. They left around 2pm. I asked why they left so early. I was told they ran out of tickets. Hundreds of tickets were handed out. I saw one guy get thirty. He was pulling a large sled with his 4 wheeler. Rope hitch, 10 people on it, no helmets, no lic. plate, no reg., no ins. card, excessive speed, no fishing lic., no bait receipt, SMOKING A JOINT while operating a motor vehicle and the guy was obnoxious to the cops. They threatened to arrest him. He calmed down. He paid dearly.

About 5 years ago, DEC went from fisherman to fisherman, checking fishing. lic. and bait receipts. Moral: Be sure all of your ducks are in a row, because you never know what the DEC and Troopers are looking for.

Thanks. Makes sense.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Sounds like that individual needed more than 30 tickets, I would say this story has drastically been twisted through the gossip loop ;)

Offline Hank77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:54 AM »
This derby is one of the best in the state!! Don't worry about entrants they will be well over 1000. huge prizes not so huge fish. the only problem I have ran into is finding a place to fish. lots of the locals will have shaks out and ice saved with sticks and reflectors. I usually just go out and start throwing the sticks as far as I can and start drilling. no person can reserve ice. you can fish away from the big crowd but you wont get a flag all day. I will be taking my snowmobile not chancing the slush like last weekend on cranberry. I have never had a problem w the law always have helmets and registration. oh and fishing license.

Offline Hank77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Yes that was my first post people. Ive been on before but w different email address and login. Chatted w blackmer before. Hey bud see you Saturday.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:14 PM »
This derby is one of the best in the state!! Don't worry about entrants they will be well over 1000. huge prizes not so huge fish. the only problem I have ran into is finding a place to fish. lots of the locals will have shaks out and ice saved with sticks and reflectors. I usually just go out and start throwing the sticks as far as I can and start drilling. no person can reserve ice. you can fish away from the big crowd but you wont get a flag all day. I will be taking my snowmobile not chancing the slush like last weekend on cranberry. I have never had a problem w the law always have helmets and registration. oh and fishing license.

That's no joke. A sea of reflectors marking (reserving) the ice. We got on the ice at 3:30 AM last year, all we could see were sticks and reflectors in every direction we shined our lights. Moving in a different direction this year to avoid that. Hope to get into a nice spot. Hope its not too slushy. Good luck to all.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:05 PM »
That's no joke. A sea of reflectors marking (reserving) the ice. We got on the ice at 3:30 AM last year, all we could see were sticks and reflectors in every direction we shined our lights. Moving in a different direction this year to avoid that. Hope to get into a nice spot. Hope its not too slushy. Good luck to all.
Not all those "saved" spots are from locals.  Many are from guys getting here early.  Nothing we can do about that except to hope that people will be civil to each other and show some respect.  Most people do.  No slush yet.  Perfect conditions right now, or at least as near to perfect as you can hope for.
  Good luck to all fishermen and women and kids.  Thank you!
mike

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #81 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:39 PM »
There are fish away from the masses.i lived on that lake for 11 years.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #82 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:00 PM »

I also lived in Tupper. Shhhhhh.... ;)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:23 PM »
all packed up, rolling out in the morning. decided to go with snowmobile instead of wheeler for some reason, hopefully i dont regret that. good luck

Offline Yakcasting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I'm very excited about this, my first time. Will going up with out a snowmobile or Atv be a issue? Won't be there until late tomorrow night, have not registered, will finding a decent spot on ice be out of the question?

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:18 PM »

That's what I'm hoping.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:21 PM »
I'm very excited about this, my first time. Will going up with out a snowmobile or Atv be a issue? Won't be there until late tomorrow night, have not registered, will finding a decent spot on ice be out of the question?

Many people fish with out machines, all depends on how far you wanna walk. As for decent spots to fish.... it's a crap shoot. Never know where you'll get the money fish.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:21 PM »

You should be fine. We did not bring an ATV or snowmobile our first time. Obviously you will have to walk out to find a spot, but there are spots within walking distance. Good luck.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:23 PM »
all packed up, rolling out in the morning. decided to go with snowmobile instead of wheeler for some reason, hopefully i dint regret that. good luck

I'm all loaded as well. Me n my one buddy decided to bring wheelers, lol. My other buddy only has sleds, so that's what he has.

Should be up by 11. See ya guys out there

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:25 PM »
If you are walking you will be "in with the crowd".  But, winning fish come from anywhere on the pond.  Registrations will be open til 8 p.m. tomorrow.  Then reopen at 4 a.m.   Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.