New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what's the strangest, scariest, bizarre experience you've had on the ice?  (Read 13825 times)

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi guys just wanted to change things up a bit and hear some stories from you guys about years past on the ice. I think mine would be when I fell though many years back when I was in high school. Small pond but couldn't get out, ice kept breaking. Also one time I was at long pond fishing alone along edgemere Dr. Two people a woman and man came all the way from the houses on the east side directly at me. Both took a hard spill on the ice about 100 yards away from me and laid on the ice for a minute or two. They got up walked slowly to the road and took it back toward where they came from. Not too exciting but if you have a story to share I would love to hear it.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Was out on a sub zero day had my new flip over set all the tip ups. Next went to light my colman power cat turned it on then hit the ignitor then. The entire heater ignited like a fireball. I grabbed it and heaved it out the door melted part of new shanty and roasted on ice for long time till ran out of propane.
Just enjoying life

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
Mine has to be seeing the ice shift in lake george to come to find out the pressure cracked opened up about 4ft , had my ATV and it was few mins to dark ,scared me I know that ended up getting over the crack but it freaked me out

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glad you guys both made it to fish another day!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Being way to close to a forming pressure ridge . The power and noise it displayed was awesome but scared the living poop right out of me

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Couple yrs back was on Oneida ...in my one man...felt like I was falling to one side...almost like u would imagine a stroke I guess....a good minute later..tried figuring out what the hell was wrong with me...I hear voices saying it was
The craziest feeling....glad others experienced this but sure did think I needed a way out  at first....Def crazy...
We called it the ice quake

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
quite a few years ago my brother and I went to fix lunch in our Shappell 3000 portable. I had a coleman 2 burner stove. When we lit it, the flame was really low and weak. We couldn't figure out why when all of a sudden the whole stove blew into a fireball with us in the shanty! After screaming fire we managed to kick it out the door (which I had left open thank god). Once it was outside we kicked snow on it until the flames went out. After looking it over, we saw where the fuel line had crack and it must have been spewing fuel and that's why it blew.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
had  a  muskrat  come  up into the  shanty  at otisco  .....  got  blown  across  ice  in a  old  suitcase  type  shanty  and   went threw  a  few  times

Offline STEALTH MODE

• IceShanty Rookie
saw a deer run across silver lake years ago.   it went into open water in the middle.     took it about 30 min but it got out

Offline AlphaWolf3144

• IceShanty Rookie
Well this wasn't me but my dad, he went up to lake Simcoe with my cousin and my cousins father in law and their buddies with his hut he got for Christmas (It was a Cabelas hut) and he was going "ice camping" as he calls it so he was staying overnight in his hut. The winds kicked up to like 75 mph during the middle of the night, he had the hut tied down with the crappy  little strings it comes with (he now uses ratchet straps) but anyways the wind snapped the strings and tore off the skirt from the bottom of his hut but he grabbed on to it before it blew away and started yelling for help. As soon as my cousin ran out to help him he lost his grip on the hut and the hut just barely missed hitting my cousin. He never found that hut again and now whenever he fishes with the guys they call him Mr.Cabelas. Pretty strange experience for him for sure so thought i'd post it here.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Alone, in the middle of a large pond. Three miles from the nearest person, if he was home. Wilderness. Sitting on my bucket and almost dark thinking its about time to get going, which i usually do when the coyotes howling changes from pretty cool, to a bit creepy.  But always invigorating.  That night was silent. Then, i see the pack. Seven or eight coyotes moving at a good clip, single file perpendicular to me at maybe 100 yards. Hmm, thats interesting. They stop, look in my direction then start quartering towards me, it was obvious they were taking all cues from lead dog. Now, very interesting. Half the distance closes and they stop. Not just heads facing my way now, but bodies are turned looking like a string of linebackers. Silhouettes against the snow. Lead dog only, starts walking right towards me head carried low. OK, now its TOO interesting. I stand up with bucket in hand. Really, this is my weapon, a bucket with a couple pounds of beer in it.  Lead dog stops, head goes way up. Stare down. I only perceive wolves. Now what? Do I be the aggressor? Move slow, move fast? Does ANY movement trigger bad things?       
Head starts to move up and down side to side like a deer checking you out. Turns, looks back once, then trots towards and passes his posse and they follow in the original direction.  My bucket got super light real quick. That was GREAT !!!!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great stories guys !! Keep em coming.

Offline Bird hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Here are two of the more bizzare things I have seen on the ice over the years:

1. Fishing on Rockland Lake, where there is a walking path around the lake, we used to get some strange people go by. The strangest was the day a hipster looking guy was playing his guitar while walking past us across the lake. He never stopped to talk, just kept playing away as he crossed the lake.

2. On Pontusuc Lake in Mass., we saw a full size yellow school bus doing donuts and jumping a pressure ridge for about half an hour. Sure hope there were no kids on board!
N.A.T.T. is back on the attack!!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lol the bus jumping a pressure ridge must have been great to watch!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
This was probably most bizarre for me.
It was February 18, 1989...  I lived in Michigan at the time and I built a permy that I had on Lake Macatawa...My two roommates Killer and Brooke use to help me take care of and used it all the time...   One sunny after noon we were out side and heard a noise like a lawn mower..   We looked up to see an ultralite plane coming in for a landing..  Once he did we went over to talk to him..  He was an instructor from a neighboring town...  Only instructors can have a 2 seater and take up passangers...   He took each of us for a ride around the lake..  Open cockpit and all ...
Here is a picture of a picture of what I wrote on the inside of the shanty later that day...
I was just texting those roommates  to tell them our anniversary was coming up....

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
1) Saw a fairly fresh deer kill on the ice at Putnam Station one year.  Wasn't much left, coyotes.

2)  I took my male Brittany spaniel out on the ice on the South end of Saratoga Lake 40 yrs ago.  He distinguished himself by marking a guys thermos and the back of another guys snowsuit.  I was going to yell at him (the dog) but neither guy noticed so I kept quiet.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished a pond in MA and had a small Cessna land on the ice.
Pilot knew the guy that was fishing, shot the breeze for awhile and then took off again.

Saw another guy using a kite-surfing kite with skis on Lake Chocura in NH. He was quite proficient at it and made it seem effortless as he "flew" across the ice.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
I was ice-fishing Lake George many years ago and this father and son from Jamaica came out on to the ice. They asked all kinds of questions about icefishing. Well a truck drives by and you should have seen how big their eyes got. They asked about driving on the ice and all that we told them as long as it was thick enough that you could (it was 20 inches at the time). Well they leave and walk into shore. A few minutes later we see this rented honda civic drive out on to the ice and the son gets out with a video camera and starts videoing his father driving on the ice and doing donuts and stuff. It was hilarious.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

JJ

The loons I found on the ice two winters ago was pretty strange. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUX7I8tsyuo

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
I was fishing the south end Silver Lake in Wyoming County a few years back. Not many people out that day, as it was a weekday. I was just about in the center of the lake, with nobody else say within 200 yards of me. I step out of the hut, to er uh, check the drainage. As I'm standing looking due north, I notice a small plane is flying straight down the lake towards me, probably a few hundred feet up. I think nothing of it. As it gets closer and closer, it drops lower and lower. When it gets about a quarter mile out from me (still flying directly at me), I start to get that weird feeling, kind of like when the ice cracks when yer walking around during early ice season. At about 30 yards out and maybe 30 feet off the ice, the plane takes a sharp turn to the left and up..... and flew away.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline benthekid

• IceShanty Rookie
trapping on a small pond about a mile behind my house i fell through with hip waders on. very heavy when they filled up with water i thought i was a goner. every time id get back up on the ice id break right through again. ended up smashing the ice with my forearms all the way to shore bloody arms and all i was in survival mode it was nuts. emptied boots took clothes off and squeezed the water out of them and had to walk back to my house, including open field with 20mph winds. by the time i got back my whole body was stiff and i was shuffling my feet. thought that was my last day on earth

Offline bnoody

• IceShanty Rookie
Years ago as a kid I was fishing the Small Boat Harbor with my Dad and brother.  Fishing was real slow so we figured, lets walk out around the wall.  Was ice and snow as far as we could see, so we ventured out.  Stopped 60 - 70 yards from the wall and I took the spud to cut a hole and in a single hit it blew right through.  We quickly headed back into the harbor, how we didn't go through is beyond me.  To this day I still get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.  In hind sight it was a really dumb thing to do and we were real lucky nobody was killed.

I never tell my wife about that story either!   :o

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
on simcoe about ten yrs ago had my brand new hut saw a guy and his dog didn't really think much about it till the dog came over and pissed on the corner of my hut.then a day on black lake their used to be a dog that used to steal your fish if u left them outside your hut'then on another lake[private]my buddy had his lunch taken from a dog and he chased it around for twenty minutes till he finally gave up!

Offline Aug16

• IceShanty Rookie
About six years age while ice fishing on canadice lake witnessed two coyotes chase a deer and attack it on the ice about 75 yards away from me. Got the blood flowing again.
Hard work beats talent, When talent doesn't work hard....

Brooksy

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Me and my two brothers where walking out for a days fishing when my youngest brother fell through. A little history me and my other brother weigh @ 300 lbs each and my youngest brother weighs about 150 lbs. Another time fishing Kodaks Honey Hole tournament I went through then guys all around the lake started falling through state trooper helicopter rescued a few of the fishermen. Another time I pooped in the hood of my snowmobile suit, fished all day. On the way home thing warmed up then we found it. I'll never live that one down.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
A guy next to me caught a trout,   put it on the ice, and a hawk flew down out of a tree and took it, he looked at me and said did you. See that. And I said I sure did. I never leave my fish flapping on the ice. After that.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice hole that is too funny! Guys these are great stories.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Yikes, "Big Ice Hole"!

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
One year I was fishing, and the wind kicked up and you could not see a thing.  When the wind stopped blowing. I was the only one on the lake, then it started blowing again, and this guy showed up , and started preaching to me about god, told me he was walking on water. It was really strange, He walked away, and disapered . and I caught my limit of trout, and I went home. Very strange.

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
06 or 07 I think it was a buddy and I were heading out on oneida and to the east (on land) we seen a big fireball and a mushroom cloud appear .we were like what the **** ! Thought we were getting bombed,turns out it was a csx train car that exploded.pretty wild to witness
"MONGO'S"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.