New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Round Lake  (Read 10984 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Round Lake
« Reply #60 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Yup. Steve you nailed it on the head with the fist in mouth comparison. Also, the jaw muscle gets to be the size of a broom stick...literally. We can argue about length and girth all day but when it comes to big bass, the head and jaw structure says it all and this is what I was getting at when I said a lot of people who have never caught a bass in that league, don't understand how big they really are.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I guessed on this weight by just length measurement and my welfare fist method. I guessed around 7 1/2lb mark. Had some girth to it.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Steve that fish is deffinetly 7.6-8lb range. Nice catch. What was the length? A 7lber usually goes 23-24".

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:01 AM »
They say its bad to let those big bass hang by the lip like that it stretches out there spine and injures them...Thats what i read anyhow...food for thought i guess....Big ol buckets tho  :o

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Steve that fish is deffinetly 7.6-8lb range. Nice catch. What was the length? A 7lber usually goes 23-24".
I thought it was 25" but that's going off memory. Could of been 24". Its been a few years.  I will have to reactivate facebook to grab a few pics off of there. I have a pic with the bass next to 2 polar tip ups with ruler on side.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:21 AM »
They say its bad to let those big bass hang by the lip like that it stretches out there spine and injures them...Thats what i read anyhow...food for thought i guess....Big ol buckets tho  :o

News to me. You might want to contact row and b.a.s.s and let them know all of their elite pro's are harming the fish....

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I thought it was 25" but that's going off memory. Could of been 24". Its been a few years.  I will have to reactivate facebook to grab a few pics off of there. I have a pic with the bass next to 2 polar tip ups with ruler on side.

It doesn't really matter. It's all that you figured it was.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Slightly off topic here but is there usually a big weight difference from bass in winter compared to bass in summer?  I'd imagine they would be heavier in summer but wondered if they gain weight in winter cause they aren't as active and still eating...kinda like some of us guys in the winter ;D. Or do they feed heavier in summer because they are more active? Was curious if there is significant weight change if any.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:37 PM »
As far as this thread being off topic, it might be but I feel this thread is educational so far and it gives everyone a chance to brag a little while we are waiting for the weekends to come to get out on the ice.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:40 PM »
ssmokin, about holding fish vertical, it is true. no matter it being pike or bass, not good for their organs. I mean everyone does it, especially for pics. what they mean is don't hold a bass like that for an extended length of time...

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:43 PM »
ssmokin, about holding fish vertical, it is true. no matter it being pike or bass, not good for their organs. I mean everyone does it, especially for pics. what they mean is don't hold a bass like that for an extended length of time...

Huh, no kidding. I'm not sure how long it takes others to take a pic but it takes me 15-20 seconds and they are back in the water.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Slightly off topic here but is there usually a big weight difference from bass in winter compared to bass in summer?  I'd imagine they would be heavier in summer but wondered if they gain weight in winter cause they aren't as active and still eating...kinda like some of us guys in the winter ;D. Or do they feed heavier in summer because they are more active? Was curious if there is significant weight change if any.

During winter they gain more wait because their metabolism is next to nothing and they move less, and slower. During warmer water temps their metabolism speeds up, they move a lot more and are more active but they eat more. During the spawn is when they weigh a lot and in the late fall winter gorge and thought winter. Post spawn they weigh the least.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:49 PM »
hahaha me 2 with taking pics

as far as the winter/summer metabolism, its just like anything...dogs, humans etc...we all get fatter sitting on our a$$es in the winter!!!!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:55 PM »
As far as this thread being off topic, it might be but I feel this thread is educational so far and it gives everyone a chance to brag a little while we are waiting for the weekends to come to get out on the ice.
It had potential to go south quick. Glad it didn't.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:00 PM »
It had potential to go south quick. Glad it didn't.
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that! Hahahaha.
Well done guys. Well done.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I guess I spoke too soon.
If you're here to throw jabs. I'm deleting it. Simple.
Carry on with your thread guys.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:50 PM »
who is throwing jabs?

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:56 PM »
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:56 PM »
ok all this bass talk got to me so i ran down the road to my local pond not a pig but a good one for the day

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:11 PM »
The best way to tell how long and how much your fish weights is to carry a tape measure and a scale with you. that would solve a lot of BS.

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:17 PM »
The best way to tell how long and how much your fish weights is to carry a tape measure and a scale with you. that would solve a lot of BS.

You my friend are a genius !!!!!!!!!!    LOL....... That's what I do. No guessing..... I guess you and I are on some other level.......... Just a joke guys don't kill me..... It does make sense though. I always have mine.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:19 PM »

I keep 3 scales in my boat at all times. 2 digitals and a mechanical...god forbid I catch the biggest fish of my life, and my digitals decide to not work...

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:22 PM »
hahaha then on the other hand, if u have luck like me 9 out of 10 trips I bring the scales and camera and don't catch anything. except the days  I forget em

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:30 PM »
hahaha then on the other hand, if u have luck like me 9 out of 10 trips I bring the scales and camera and don't catch anything. except the days  I forget em
That's why I keep all of my fishing stuff together. Scales and measuring tape at least. I don't keep the digital camera with it. But if I happen to forget that I always have my phone. Well almost always.........
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:42 PM »
This is NITZER's bass  8lbs

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Last time I fished round with ssmokinnss I caught the biggest fish of the night. 3 lbs. Hog. Hahaha

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:51 PM »
HEY ITS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Nitzer did I sell you a couple augers at wwiggly worm a few years back

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:55 PM »
NO. BUT IM LOOKING TO BORROW A GAS AUGER FOR MARCH 13-14. HAHAHAHA

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Haha I can't remember who it was but it was a round lake area guy. No power auger here. Did just get a 8" nulls though with the drill adapter. Also have a brand new rigid drill so I'm gonna try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.