New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Round Lake  (Read 10957 times)

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Round Lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:29 AM »
I have a picture I took in November of a 5.0lb bass next to a 7lb 4oz bass. I will post it later for comparison. I will say the 7lb dwarfs a 5lber. It's a awakening photo of actual bass size for people who are just in aware of how big a 7lber actually is.
How about pm/email the guys the pic that care to see it. So it doesn't turn into one of those threads.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:33 AM »
a good estimater for ny bass is 21 inches for a 5 pounder and ad an pound for every inch above that i have weighed and measured enough ny bass to use this as a good general rule

Offline Ghostchef44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bottom Budget Hookers
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Idk sorry but I don't think that a seven or a eight pound bass I've weighd an caught a few an they look like pit bulls compared to a 5lber its a nice bass but not a pig.. Buy a digital scale an carry a measuring stick an then u can start getting a idea of sizes ..

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:42 AM »
How about pm/email the guys the pic that care to see it. So it doesn't turn into one of those threads.

True. I won't even put them up or pm them. This thread is one of those threads tho...

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:25 PM »
The look on his face tells me that hog weighs 10lbs!!!!!!!! and id buy it if he told me it was  ;D

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:44 PM »
hahahahahah. I mean I understand he is taking the pic by himself it looks like. but unsure of weight, don't say it. hahahaha.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:29 PM »
hahahahahah. I mean I understand he is taking the pic by himself it looks like. but unsure of weight, don't say it. hahahaha.

Hes posing like a boss!!! :flex:

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:21 PM »
x2.  I don't always agree with ssmokinss and may give him hard time but he is right when he said some guys over estimate weight w fish, especially bass. Not a lot of guys catch 5-6lb bass enough and may have hard time estimating once they get over that 5lb mark.  Years back  the 1st time I saw a 5lb bass I thought it was like 9lbs. They we weighed it. It happens. Not saying there is no chance of that bass being 7-8lbs but seems it doesn't have the girth or characteristics that a 8lb bass would have. It is bad angle though. Nice fish none the less. Good catch!
I agree. I have personally done the same. I fish in a small bass club and have caught fish that I could swear at the time of all the excitement were like 6 lbs. and after I settle down realize its only probably 4. Haha I have to say that, the 2 largest bass I've ever caught were from round and released to be caught again. One was this past fall in a club event. It's a great fishery and some people don't realized how many eggs a big female, like the one that he caught, carry. I feel like ive gotten off course and I apologize.  Nice fish man! I'll take a fish like that any day.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I agree. I have personally done the same. I fish in a small bass club and have caught fish that I could swear at the time of all the excitement were like 6 lbs. and after I settle down realize its only probably 4. Haha I have to say that, the 2 largest bass I've ever caught were from round and released to be caught again. One was this past fall in a club event. It's a great fishery and some people don't realized how many eggs a big female, like the one that he caught, carry. I feel like ive gotten off course and I apologize.  Nice fish man! I'll take a fish like that any day.

What were the weights of that club tourney? I tried looking them up and they were never posted.... That was the first tourney there and I remeber it was horrible weather. I fished the lake the day before.

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Ik it looks small in the pic, its whatever still my biggest bass to date that i think was all of 7
Lines tight and flags up

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:21 PM »
its all ways good to have the length of a fish it really helps judge the size

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:31 PM »

What were the weights of that club tourney? I tried looking them up and they were never posted.... That was the first tourney there and I remeber it was horrible weather. I fished the lake the day before.
It was a horrible day....cold, rainy on and off, until the last couple of hours when it just rained. 17.4 was the winning bag and lunker was 6.85. It should've been over the 20lb mark but that's my opinion.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:32 PM »
It was a horrible day....cold, rainy on and off, until the last couple of hours when it just rained. 17.4 was the winning bag and lunker was 6.85. It should've been over the 20lb mark but that's my opinion.

I hear ya...

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:34 PM »
It wasn't the first tourney there that they held. They have club pictures of tourneys held there years ago.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:50 PM »
It wasn't the first tourney there that they held. They have club pictures of tourneys held there years ago.

Yes I know...it was a long time ago.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:46 AM »
ssmokin, what club?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:11 AM »
ssmokin, what club?

I forgot what club it was. Small club.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:15 AM »

Bass was 4-5 lbs max nice catch though
Mr.Esox

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Your entitled to your own opinion, guess ya had to see her in person
Lines tight and flags up

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Did anyone take part of that mini ice fishing tournament on round like 6 years back?  Wasn't legit torney but there was like 30 guys that fished in it. 2 guys who didn't actually enter but were fishing in same area ended up catching 2 or 3 big pike that would have taken 1st 2nd and 3rd. They made a live well on the ice with augers. Think the guys who had shanties in the back put it on. I caught few bass and had a pike break my line. Of.course hits the only one without a steel leader.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:13 AM »
The pike aren't in there like that anymore

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:29 AM »

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:30 AM »
this is a 4 pounder i got 2 weeks ago

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:59 AM »
That appears to be roughly same size as the pic posted or close to it.  Selfie angle again lol. When you get into the 7lb+ range the mouth of the bass should make your hand look pretty small.
 We had welfare way of guessing weight just by sticking our fist in the bass's mouth. If you can get your fist cleanly inside of the mouth of a largemouth without touching the sides of mouth I bet its 5.5- 6lb mark. The more clearance around the fist the bigger and more it weighs obvioulsy. Definitely welfare way to weigh a bass but try it. I bet you couldn't get your fist in a 5lb bass mouth without having to jam it down their throat. I saw nitzers picture and it was very close to the size of mine. He has a pic just like one I had I where he is sticking fist in mouth. I estimated mine at 7.5-8lb using that method and he said his was 8. His fist is clearly in the mouth with nice gap around it as did mine.
  I know everyone is dying to post pics of their 7-8lb bass. Go for it. Just didn't want to turn this thread into pp measuring contest.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Well I will post just a few pics of 2 bass that were weighed on a quality digital scale. No bs and no guessing. Weight, pictures and release

The small one is 5lbs even and the big one is 7lbs 4ozs. The size difference in the heads alone explain how big a 7lb bass really is.

The 3rd pic says it all. Look at the size of the fishes head vs my head

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:13 AM »
this is an old pict but my fist had a lot of room in its mouth i remember that quite well

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:14 AM »
well that did not work will try again

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:15 AM »

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:16 AM »
some real tanks you have there for sure

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:23 AM »
some real tanks you have there for sure
Yep look at the size dif on the mouths of the bass. The 7.4 mouth is night and day bigger. That was one of the characteristics I said the original pic was lacking. Also the girth is way more noticeable on a 7lb+.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.