New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: south bay  (Read 2513 times)

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
south bay
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:43 PM »
I know you guys are out there lets hear it.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: south bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:14 PM »
there is a live web cam for there it just froze this week i would not trust it yet to much current

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:35 PM »
was told good ice down in pike brook area, is it true ? headed there on sat, any info, theres nothing new on conditions page.

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:50 PM »
I was there today, Sunday and there were many trucks on the ice along with atvs. I was left of the bridge west maybe and I cut 9 inches ice. I wouldn't drive a truck out there yet! Shantys coming on and heading towards pike brook, head of the bay.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:33 PM »
crazy is as crazy does

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:54 PM »
thanks for the info

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:57 AM »
crazy is as crazy does
Is that how that quote goes?????
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:46 PM »
was wondering if there is a easy access down by pike brook area heading there Monday for first time

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Either drive down the middle of bay or take road to the end ,there is a Place, side of road to park. You will see others.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2015, 04:44 PM »
we fished south bay on sat, ice was good,  fishing for pike was not ,we got none !  never had that happen there before there were 9 of us

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:01 PM »
has anyone been driving to pike brook via ice instead of using the road thanks

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:55 PM »
also is there any walleye area in southbay

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:45 AM »
the canal south of whitehall.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:22 PM »
we fished south bay on sat, ice was good,  fishing for pike was not ,we got none !  never had that happen there before there were 9 of us

Yeah, unfortunately you were not doing anything wrong. There are basically zero pike left in that bay. If you want pike fish at Dresden Station 12 miles north of South Bay on route 22. You can park above the ominous signs that warn of trespassing etc. The guy that lives in the green house told me in person that the ramp down to the lake is a public right of way. I had good pike action there first week of January. Nothing big with biggest at 29" but got 6 or 7 in 1.5 days fishing.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:25 PM »
no pike left, good one

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:26 PM »
Yeah no pike in south bay.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:55 AM »
no wonder i cant catch any !

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:45 AM »
i have been fishing there for the last 10 years when i started there were only a couple of boats on any day with these forums every one has bragged about south bay now there are boats all over it all day the fishing has really declined the last few years that is a fact yes you can have a good day there but over all fish stocks are down

Offline rfb fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:42 PM »
fished big bay yesterday 4 hours 6keeper sun fish

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Greensider just nailed it on the head. And Dresden station is small so next time you go to fish there picture 50 people set up out there. Learned a hard lesson years ago on here to never share you fishing spots publicly
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:24 AM »
whether you share on here or not fisherman fishing lake champlain know where you are. it is not hard to determine where fisherman catch fish and word of mouth goes a long way. even if your on private access they will find a way to find your spots. there really arnt any secret spots on champlain. i have been there and lots of my freinds been there. i live up north on champlain and pretty much know who is catching what and where down in the putnam dresden and south bay areas and north from here.

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Fishy1 I agree with you to a certain degree but I will use this as an example. If u went and parked at pike brook road to fish you might see five vehicles or so and they were people from the glensfalls to ticonderoga area. People start sharing theit south bay pike pics. And all kinds of posts start popping up asking about south bay access etc etc. Go to pike brook road now on a weekend and try to find a place to park. Half the population of Albany is there. Did word of mouth travel that far?doubtful. Ask those guys coming off the ice how Many of them are on ice shanty.com I bet its 70 percent or higher. Its a internet hot spot. The real hott fish bite was 5 years ago and is slowed now. Still catch nice pike there just not in any numbers. Lake Eaton is another example of a internet hot spot
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Fishy1 I agree with you to a certain degree but I will use this as an example. If u went and parked at pike brook road to fish you might see five vehicles or so and they were people from the glensfalls to ticonderoga area. People start sharing theit south bay pike pics. And all kinds of posts start popping up asking about south bay access etc etc. Go to pike brook road now on a weekend and try to find a place to park. Half the population of Albany is there. Did word of mouth travel that far?doubtful. Ask those guys coming off the ice how Many of them are on ice shanty.com I bet its 70 percent or higher. Its a internet hot spot. The real hott fish bite was 5 years ago and is slowed now. Still catch nice pike there just not in any numbers. Lake Eaton is another example of a internet hot spot
x2

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I've fished lake Eaton many times in the spring summer and fall...and twice on ice well before I joined IS. And to be honest, I don't care for it. I've caught some 18 inch rainbows, but not more than a few and some barely legal salmon trolling. Ice fishing, a few smelt. Maybe I wasn't fishing it right then...it is what it is. :wacko:

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:01 AM »
who cares, most people i know put pike back anyway. Dont think you are going to fish out a place that big. Hope nobody goes there then, if no pike left

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:58 AM »
the same thing that happens every where will happen here it will suck for a few years and word will get out just like when it is good and people will go else where and the fishing will improve one thing i do is when some one wants info on a certain place i often pm them rather than put it on the main page

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:00 AM »
good idea

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:27 AM »
Adk iceman nailed it.  I heard they were thinking of renaming South Bay " Crossgates mall on ice" in honor of our friends from the greater lower midsouthern upstate ny region

I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:12 AM »
again i dont know anything about pike brook other than what i have heard. here is an example of what happened to me a few years ago. i was out fishing catfish in my jon boat and this bass boat would come by me every morning and say hi. then about the 3rd day he approached me closer and asked me if i was so and so i said yes he said he heard lots about me from fellow campers and so on and was wondering where i had fished. told him what i was fishing for and told him catfish and bowfins. we got to talking and turns out he was from troy and stayed in chestertown in a campground. he then asked me to fish with him ice fishing through the ice and guess where south bay. said he has been fishing there in the winter for 30 years. at the time i wasnt on any forums and he isnt on any at all. it was all word of mouth and he has told people down in troy where he has fished and it goes on an on.  also through the years i have been told where to fish south bay for eyes crappies pike and so on although i have never fished there. one last thing when i talk to fisherman about places to fish especially certain spots i also use the pm.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:49 AM »
most of those guys there fish for panfish, they can have them anyway. Everyone thinks they own the lakes. You will never keep guys away. If i stayed home just cause of a few bad days i would have quit a long time ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.