New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern challenge  (Read 7167 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern challenge
« Reply #120 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:13 PM »
x3

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #121 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:17 PM »
another suggestion is to give the fish money away at the weigh in station,after the hour they won.nobody wants to stand there any longer than they have to ,after a long day on the ice.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:07 PM »
another suggestion is to give the fish money away at the weigh in station,after the hour they won.nobody wants to stand there any longer than they have to ,after a long day on the ice.
We will discuss this at the next meeting of the Rod and Gun to see if this could work.  I work it and I agree about wanting to get out of there after 2days of being in the weather in all sorts of conditions.  I don't know what happened to the p.a. system.  It is a rarely used system but like anything else is subject to fail when you need it most!  I can assure you, that will be discussed also!  Any other suggestions?
Thanks for supporting us!

Mike

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:29 PM »
why not include tupper lake in contest

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #124 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Suggestion for you regarding the sound system. Find a local band willing to let you use or at least rent their sound system for the contest. Its alot cheaper than purchasing your own.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #125 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:57 PM »

The Rod & Gun Club has the only public access to Simon, and therefore can control the event much easier.
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Speed limits on all machines!!!     10 - 15 mph during derby hours......If yr caught wipping donuts or speeding yr DQ'd on the spot.....I had 2 wheelers driven by kids wippin donuts right by our shacks and almost wiped out our tipups....
We have no way of enforcing any speed limits.  There are a limited number of us working the event and we are spread pretty thin as it is.  D.E.C. always shows up and it is up to them to catch people being stupid.  I agree that I wish people would use a little more common sense amongst all those fishermen and tip ups, but some people are just clueless. 
Mike

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:29 PM »
We are trying to keep this a catch and release contest.  You would be surprised the number of guys who drive thier northerns across the pond exposed to freezing temps and not in water.  It is hard to revive those fish.  People coming all the way from Tupper Lake would pose a bigger problem and we don't have enough help to open another weigh-in station.  Plus, we can control everything better in the location we are at right now.
Mike

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Oh, and by the way.  Someone reported a missing jacket with a cell phone at the Challenge.  Wayne and I patrolled the lake today, picking up litter and we kept an eye out for the jacket.  I am sorry to report that we did not find it!
Mike

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:47 AM »
I had a great time as I always do seeing family and meeting new people but there are now big fish in that lake the numbers say it all just 200 fish weighted in that's not that great when you have 900 people fishing. I went out sun to use the rest of my bait up. My team went across from mcd and we had 16 flags and had one 10lb. This is the toury should be you would hit the 1000 mark if you relocate. Simon couldn't deal with all the trucks for a 1000 people.

Offline rabidracin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:06 AM »
I wouldn't judge the lake by the fish caught on the day of the tourney. Can you imagine the noise in the water with all the vehicles, augers, and people. The water is not deep. The fish must be scared ****less. Surprised any will bite at all. It i all about a good time and winning a prize, fish or door, is just a bonus.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #131 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:42 AM »
I wouldn't judge the lake by the fish caught on the day of the tourney. Can you imagine the noise in the water with all the vehicles, augers, and people. The water is not deep. The fish must be scared ****less. Surprised any will bite at all. It i all about a good time and winning a prize, fish or door, is just a bonus.

Right on!! If you want to fish Big Tupper, gear up for the Ice Pro-Am in March and make sure your tackle is up for the challenge - we hear there are some monster fish in there!! Dave's tourney is a great event, and is successful. 900 anglers is a pretty substantial number of anglers and the positives of his tournament on the local economy are immense. As others have said, don't fix it if it ain't broke! @) (PA excluded, and will be upgraded from what I hear for next year)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:53 AM »
you have to take the fish caught to entries with a grain of salt. I doubt there were even 600 people that actually fished the event. many people just enter for the great door prizes or the chance for a wheeler. at our walleye challenge 2 weekends ago there were 1500 entries(sold out in 6 days) and they turned in 240ish eyes. for the w.c. they are looking into separate tickets for people just looking to enter for the drawings so all 1500 entries can fish. either way both are great events and I will continue to support both in the years to come.

Steve

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #133 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Right on!! If you want to fish Big Tupper, gear up for the Ice Pro-Am in March and make sure your tackle is up for the challenge - we hear there are some monster fish in there!! Dave's tourney is a great event, and is successful. 900 anglers is a pretty substantial number of anglers and the positives of his tournament on the local economy are immense. As others have said, don't fix it if it ain't broke! @) (PA excluded, and will be upgraded from what I hear for next year)
whoever told you there are monsters i n tupper lake was def pulling your leg you'll be lucky to catch a 10 pound fish.

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #134 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:55 AM »
I had a great time as I always do seeing family and meeting new people but there are now big fish in that lake the numbers say it all just 200 fish weighted in that's not that great when you have 900 people fishing. I went out sun to use the rest of my bait up. My team went across from mcd and we had 16 flags and had one 10lb. This is the toury should be you would hit the 1000 mark if you relocate. Simon couldn't deal with all the trucks for a 1000 people.
listen i live right on simon pond right across from rod and gun we catch 10# plus pike all summer long some in the teens they are def in there. just way too much traffic on derby day

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #135 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:08 AM »
whoever told you there are monsters i n tupper lake was def pulling your leg you'll be lucky to catch a 10 pound fish.

I don't think the DEC would lie to me about what they have seen in there when they have electroshocked... Either way, it will be interesting to see what is caught by the anglers in the Pro-Am's!! @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline pikepauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Had fun at tournament as usual, but with all the money they make, you would think that they would buy a decent p a system? Just saying

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Does any one no what started the fight at the end of the tourny that was not good for the image of the tourny   If you get arrested you should be banned from the tourny

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #138 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Does any one no what started the fight at the end of the tourny that was not good for the image of the tourny   If you get arrested you should be banned from the tourny
alcohol
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:34 PM »
x2

Offline fowlweather92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I second the pa system comment above! could not hear the guy at all. for all i know i could have won something...  ???

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #141 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:35 AM »
Maybe they could get a sponsor to rent a PA system for the event?

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:58 PM »
http://tupperlakepress.com/2013/02/14th-annual-northern-challenge-photos/

Some great photo's of the event.

PS  We are looking into another PA system as of right now.  The system we have is only 6 yrs old and have had problem after problem with it.  It has been used less then a doz times. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.