New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What do you use to spud?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
What do you use to spud?
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:24 PM »
I really need to get a spud bar, or make one. I'm wondering what you all use for a spud bar? I was thinking maybe I would run in to lowes and try to find something. Hoping someone can point me n the right direction. I was considering a steel fence post and grind a sharp tip on it? Let me know what you use!  :tipup:

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: What do you use to spud?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:35 PM »
bought 1 from 307 think it was 20 bucks,a good solid metal rod with a chisel welded to it would work well though

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I just built 3 this past Saturday for myself and two friends. I used 3/4 inch Black Iron pipe from Home Depot (i think it was like $12.00 & some change for a 10" section) I went to the local scrap yard and bought a Leaf Spring that I cut into 3 chisel heads with a torch and ground a stair steped point on , then cut the pipe 5' long, cut a notch in one end, and welded a leaf spring chisel into it.
On the other end I cut a 10" section of the remaining pipe and welded it on as a "T" handel. (in case you lose your grip on it, maybe the "T" handle will stop it from going all the way through and losing it ).
This week I have applied several coats of paint, and tomorrow will put on Hockey Tape grips and lanyards to finish it all up.

Hope this helps. God bless.

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I meant 10' section, not 10" section

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:37 PM »
how many stabs until you guys think it is safe? im sure i will hear a bunch a different answers. just wonder what each of us think.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:38 PM »
I bought mine from Gander Mtn. a few years ago.  It is made or reebar.  It looks like the chisel end was welded on to the end of the reebar.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:40 PM »
how many stabs until you guys think it is safe? im sure i will hear a bunch a different answers. just wonder what each of us think.

It's not how many stab/jabs but how many inches do you have to get through.
If you sharpen (not razor sharp, just a little edge) they will cut/chip more and deeper.

Bottom line: if it's easy to chip through, it's just as easy to fall through!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Is there a certain weight to be looking for? I'm guessing you would want at least a 5ft bar with a sharp point that will dig, not sure if a chisel tip is absolutely necessary or not.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:58 PM »
I personally don't spud. I belive they are unreliable. If the ice is thin enough for you to have to check while you walk you need to be drilling holes and measuring every few feet. Just my two cents.

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I use an old pry bar from the farm. It's actually 1/2 an axle rod from an old model T, one end ground to a point. the hub end has a bolted on wrist loop. Works great and is a good walking stick also.
http://

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:08 PM »
 Don't forget to put a strap on it for around your wrist so it doesn't go to Davey Jones locker.You can get a Frabill standard ice chisel from Reeds for under $29.00 shipped to your door.Spud is the only way to go on thin ice. I don't even bring an auger till ice is 6"plus inches.

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:11 PM »
i use an old one my grandfather made many moons ago, i touch it up with the hand file before every season.  If i had to buy a new one id go with the new 2 piece frabil.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:12 PM »
I meant 10' section, not 10" section

Will not go thru the ice with a 10 foot handle ;D

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I have an old rusted iron bar with a handle and wedge part on the end of it. I think my grandfather used it to chop ice back in the day. I procured it for ice fishing does the trick. Might spray paint it this summer to protect it.

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:51 PM »
(i think it was like $12.00 & some change for a 10" section)
This was what I meant to correct.
But you are right with a 10' handle it will NOT go through the ice!  ;D

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:52 PM »
I used to just use an old iron pipe about 5 1/2 feet long and it worked great for checking ice.  I don't know what I did with it so now I use a big pry bar that ways about 25 pounds.

There is no substitute for a spud bar of any kind when  you're on early or late ice.  I don't care how many inches I'm on, I'm more concerned with the quality of ice that I'm on.  I'd rather be on 3 inches of black ice than 6 inches of crap ice.

I'm always baffled by people that check ice without a spud.  You're checking the thickness of the ice because you're concerned that it may not be thick or strong enough to hold your weight....... So drill a hole in the ice right at your feet ???  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:01 PM »
i got one a couple weeks ago from gander $20, i was going to make one but for $20 id rather spend my time fishing ....it was the frabill one piece works great
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I personally don't spud. I belive they are unreliable. If the ice is thin enough for you to have to check while you walk you need to be drilling holes and measuring every few feet. Just my two cents.

I can spud holes and measure as fast or faster than you can drill a hole. It also gives you instant feedback on the quality of ice.
A spud is a must have tool for those of us testing out first ice. What can be 4 inches could quickly turn to 2 inches or less, and you'll find it quicker spuding your way out. Watch some videos on how to use them, you might change your mind, and may save you from getting wet.
That's my 2 cents.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Sorry not to be arguing but "drilling" your way out is the DUMBEST thing ever heard.
When poking around each step with a spud you can easily find gas pockets or freeze lines.  Do you drill every step?   Uhhhh no.
When fishing early or late ice 1 step can make the difference between staying on top or going for a swim.

When you learn to spud it doesnt take much time to learn how hard to whack the ice before you step.
Also if drilling that many holes youre weaking the ice.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I have a frabil spud pretty blunt not that sharp. It will chip ice, I use it to check for hardness. That being said I use it in combination with an auger.  The spud bar I pound the ice multiple times in order to avoid soft spots/ thin areas.  The auger is my tool of choice to measure ice. I spud as I walk if I am unsure of conditions you cant drill holes as you walk.  I have friends that have avoided falling in by spudding there way out during questionable ice conditions.

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Sorry not to be arguing but "drilling" your way out is the DUMBEST thing ever heard.
When poking around each step with a spud you can easily find gas pockets or freeze lines.  Do you drill every step?   Uhhhh no.
When fishing early or late ice 1 step can make the difference between staying on top or going for a swim.

When you learn to spud it doesnt take much time to learn how hard to whack the ice before you step.

X2  :thumbsup:

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:05 PM »
i like thr frabill one piece. weighs about 6 lbs. nice n light for pullin a sled, heavy enuff to figure out the ice. best purchase this year...so far

onice2013

« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:20 PM »
My idea for using the spud for questionable ice conditions is as follows: 1) use my gloves and wear safety spikes in case ,god forbid the ice is faster than I am.. 2) walk out on the ice  but not too far from shore or over  head deep water, should I fall through, I can escape using safety grip ice spikes 3) use the spud or hand auger and measure the ice and proceed with caution knowing every few feet could mean the difference between life and death. 4) Any ice under 4 inches thick is dangerous conditions in my mind so I would not venture far from shore or try my luck standing on ice in water over waiste deep. This winter has been too warm for ice fishing in my region.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:09 PM »

I agree that spuding is a better way of finding major gas pockets and other imperfection in the ice. However; your not getting an accurate measurement of the ice by spudding your way out. Yes, during early ice i will litterally drill a hole every ten feet to check, and about every 25 feet I pull out my tape and measure. weather your drilling a test hole on thin ice or throwing a spud a foot in front of you, you still need to take caution on early ice or unfamiliar lakes. Lets agree to disagree on that.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:51 PM »
If the ice is that questionable, I usually try to follow the following advice.
- Don't go out alone.  If you do go out alone, fish near other people.  That way if something were to happen, there are people nearby to help.
- Don't be the furthest ones out.   Questionable ice is not a good time to go exploring.
- Wear ice picks around your neck, and keep a rope with you.

Of course, the best advice is to simply wait for good 4-6 of solid ice, but we seem to have been getting less and less of that in recent years.

Offline Bsens07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:11 PM »
I just purchased one from lowes this year myself.  I think it was $30 or so. its about 6ft, but weighs 16lbs. heavy to carry but i put it through twice with one swipe the first day I bought it. One time was through a set of foot tracks from someone else that had walked out before light before me. I turned around and walked back where I came from. As far as I am concerned, best $30 I've spent. I found it in the hand tool section, its a bar used when using a post hold digger.  They had a chisel style head one or a sharp pencil tipped style.

Offline ds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I had a nice one made out of an old axe head and a piece of pipe but its on the bottom of Skaneateles lake a little past the end of the pier, now i use one of those red ones from Gander and I make sure I use the wrist strap

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:25 AM »
I'm a big guy, and sometimes I push the limits of ice....I know  from experience that if your spud is even remotely sharp, and you give a good spud, and it doesn't go through, the ice can hold you .   Pretty simple, really.  I simply spud for every step I take, and I know that if that spud don't go through, i ain't either. 

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:51 AM »
i usually have a spud but i dropped it down a hole! so now I'm using a ax,one good swing and if it doesn't go through I'm good to go. but there is  no substitute for a spudbar. i think DEC should try to do some kind of honor system at the big lakes and state campgrounds were they could have a rack of donated spudbars and rope and pfds for inexperienced icefisherman and anyone who forgot theres or just dont now anything about safe ice. and i understand a few scumbags would probably steal them, but i like to think the best about people and i think it could work. if it saved even one life a year it would be worth it. and spuds r easy to make so getting some guys to donate some wouldent be a problem. whats your guys opinion on this? am i crazy or would this be a good idea :)

Offline daytondedrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:02 PM »
I make my own. about 10 lbs razor sharp. If you jab it through with one good poke...DONT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.