Poll

Have you fallen through th ice

yes
148 (54.8%)
no
122 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 268

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2013, 02:14 AM

Author Topic: Official poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline ryanmolnar55

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Official poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Does stepping in your own hole count? long story short we had 5 shanties butted up together and when time came to take them down it was dark. Next I know I'm doing a semi vertical split with one leg in the lake. Buddies said that was the biggest tip-up they'd seen!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Unofficial poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?
« Reply #61 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I've been all the way under 3 times & through to the waist or armpits a couple more. Spudding your way around is the best way to avoid getting wet ( I learn slowly, but I DO eventually learn  ;D ) but a couple times I just hit a bad spot on otherwise safe ice. These were the times I didn't go all the way under. This is my 45th year of ice fishing, many years I was out 4-5 times a week.
Does that include spud retrieval Tom ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline #hardwater50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:48 PM »
The only  time i personally have, the amish had cut a large hole in the ice the day before and before i saw it i was in to my waist, on South Sandy Pond a few years back.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Wow it's 50/50 right now! Earlier I was thinking I might be one of the few that hasn't gone through  :tipup:

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #64 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:00 PM »
i fell through 2 years ago,trying to cross a pressure ridge in the spring,the crack was tight in the morning coming off the ice had softened up and just gave out under my feet,a buddy was there and had me pulled out before i knew i was in the lake

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:02 PM »
50/50 trend...very interesting.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline eatme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:04 PM »
coming off oneida lake years ago on a fourwheeler when three feet of ice was snowconeing on a 65 degree day the shoreline  went away, only about three feet of water

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Nope...and I hope I never do.

Stay Safe!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

OneidaAngler

« Reply #68 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:03 PM »
I have never gone through but, i'm only 15 so I'm sure my time will come. ;) I did however, have a "wet" experience. I was 10 years old and was out for the first time ice fishing. I was so focused on drilling a hole out. It took me about an hour cause I was ten and using a dull auger. After I finally cut the hole i went back to our shanty to get a tip-up. I forgot where I drilled the hole and the next thing I knew I had one leg completely submerged. ;D

Offline jigumup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to Fish Forced to Work!
Re: Unofficial poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?
« Reply #69 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Nope, not yet and don't have any plans too.
Always send the heavier person out first to check the ice.  ;)

Same here BTW what do you weigh? I'm looking for fishing buddy.

All kidding aside a little concerning the poll is 50/50 those aren't great oddsfor staying dry.

Stay safe

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #70 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Once is enough, now its always caution, and I always where Artic Armor Suit and carry Ice Picks

Offline 4chevys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I always used to fish crazy early ice like early- mid December ice.  Fell through in 4 FOW on the way back to the truck on the same path I went out on.  Not a nice experience. I'm a little older and wiser now.

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:52 PM »
went thru all the way in my teens. the one time fishin i stepped off a dock that had snow piled up against it. no ice under the snow insulation. one long step and it was 4" thick. only one leg went thru that day.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:04 PM »

Yup twice. The one above I was alone on round lake just hit a thin spot.  Then put the dirtbike almost in down at Wagner's pond
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:07 PM »
I voted yes.
I had a stretch of younger, dumber years that I fished late ice for big, fat, egg-laiden Northern Pike. Four times in a five year span I fished late enough into the spring until I broke through. Then I found my wife, and that wasn't part of her plan...  ;)   :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #75 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:46 PM »
No, been fishing for 65 years since I was 4. Part being careful as I get older and part luck back in my teens and twenties.

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 PM »
yes, was standing too close to a big buddy who started to go down.... guess who he pulled in with him?
Luckily we were only in 4 ft of water, but i dont plan to get wet again.  4" or bust for me.
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline adktrouter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm pulling over, i wanna fish that.
« Reply #77 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:25 PM »
had my right leg go through on the Hudson river up to my crotch. hurt and it makes your heart skip a beat. had a man on lake George walking up to me and didn't step over a 2 foot open pressure crack went down quick .fully under he was out by the time i got to him .  stood up n said don't step there. went out to his shanty and hollered an hour later n showed me a 28 inch salmon. kudos sir... kudos.

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:14 PM »
Yes just once. Went in waist deep. Not a pleasant feeling but fished the rest of the day ;D

Offline Skunked11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 PM »
Was not paying attention and was backing up and fell through a hole someone must have spudded.

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Fell in at Canadaraga a few years back going out from the boat launch.  Up to my arms.  Fishing alone got out (obviously).  Since then I've been very careful.  Used to fish on 2  inches of clear ice it was cool you could see the fish real good.  Gotten much wiser in my old age it's a frightening experience and no fish is worth it.  Fat, drunk, dead and stupid is no way to go through life!

Offline schrader75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Havent fallen through, however sent 1 foot/leg through a snow covered 10" hole someone fished the day before

Offline DougC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Up to my waist crossing 10" of heaved ice, didn't realize how cold I was until I took a hot shower.

Offline Spindoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:23 PM »
5 times--not looking forward to 6.
Pulled two guys out of the water on other occasions too.
Wear a float suit!!
Bud

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:53 PM »
                                        I went in trying to get minnows years ago before certified bait .
                                        there was a spring open water  over a bank, snow was
                                        frozen from a rain storm I look over bank to see minnows & I slip
                                        & slide down bank out on ice next to open water ...I lay on my stomach
                                        & try to craw back to shore. when I got close I broke through the ice .
                                        had to take my fist to beat snow on bank to get a grip .My buddy came
                                        with the minnow trap & threw me the rope & pull me up the bank...
                                        by the time I got to truck cloths were frozen solid ....  be safe out there...                                                             

images.jpeg

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:07 PM »
I went in at Erieville Res about 10 years ago, we had been drilling threw 18''s of hard and soft ice. We were on our way off  and I found a gas hole,went in as far as  my neck.  Next thing I heard was   HEY BUCKEYHEAD YOU OK!!   so thats been my handle since then.

Offline the -crappie- killer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • america :(
« Reply #86 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:26 PM »
i have fallen through before .....its not fun ...my best advice is to keep an extra pair of clothes with you and keep a cell phone with you :-\

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:27 PM »
In 50 plus years ice fishing,had 4 wet times.First time stepped in a huge spud hole covered in 5 inches of fresh snow,one leg wet up to you know what,second time last day out and all day 1-2 inches of rain,the flood controll  Shenengo reservoir was rising all day 15 feet of open water to shore,someone brought a extension latter but got wet up to my waist,same thing again pushed one more day and fell through waist deep coming off at Moraine.The last time same thing (had to go one more time) my go to lake,after just crushing crappie all day,came off in 60 degree weather,10 foot from shore stepped over a stress crack and up to my waist. 3 out of 4 could have been avoided,but you got to go ONE MORE TIME!

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:39 PM »
went through up to my waist a couple of times but never been in over my head, and I don't intend to either... knock on wood
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #89 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Been through multiple times and hopefully no more

First time I took my lady out.    Yup up to my nipples.   She was impressed on how I found the unsafe ice for her not to walk on
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.